Auto Locker Suggestions Needed

Dward

I'm looking for opinions on a lunchbox locker for my Dana 30. Currently have open diffs front and rear and looking for some inexpensive traction for light wheeling. I think I have narrowed my choices to Powertrax no slip or Aussie. My priorities would probably line up like this- #1 strength/longevity, #2 cost, #3 noise. What do you think?

I thought about the truetrac up front but went with the Detroit auto locker instead front and rear. My opinion is if you going to do it "lock it"

Detroit are good options, but since they are full case lockers probably not the best option for the shade tree mechanic. My son and I installed a front Aussie lunchbox locker in an afternoon. Super easy, cheap, reliable, plus you get the satisfaction of doing it yourself and you get to have your jeep apart and learn a bit more about it and what else it might need.

Here is a good video to watch about the Aussie

Reactions: Hopper
Powertrax No-slip locker is what I’ve seen recommended by the brains here. It purportedly doesn’t have all the popping noises when cornering in 2WD.

I have never used the Powertrax, but if cost is an issue, some folks can live with the sound that the Aussie makes sometimes.

Either of those would be great choices, it all depends on your tolerance for the Aussie's clicking/ratcheting sound through turns. It's not real loud but you can hear it during turns in quiet situations like in a parking lot. I won my Powertrax No-Slip in a 4x4 event raffle and loved it being totally quiet but apparently some kinda like the clicking sound of the Aussie, Lockrite, etc. :)

I've ran both and prefer the no-slip because as a general rule you will never even know its there on the street. Good luck with your decision.

I have the PowerTrax No Slip and have been perfectly happy. Easy install $407. It is perfectly quite on the road and perfect road manners. Off-road my daughter said it was a beast!

I thought about the truetrac up front but went with the Detroit auto locker instead front and rear. My opinion is if you going to do it "lock it"
Either of those would be great choices, it all depends on your tolerance for the Aussie's clicking/ratcheting sound through turns. It's not real loud but you can hear it during turns in quiet situations like in a parking lot. I won my Powertrax No-Slip in a 4x4 event raffle and loved it being totally quiet but apparently some kinda like the clicking sound of the Aussie, Lockrite, etc. :)
Think the original poster was wanting it in the front 30 wouldn't this eliminate any noise when open on the street or does the Aussie make noise then to? My front Detroit makes no noise while driving in 2wd.

Think the original poster was wanting it in the front 30 wouldn't this eliminate any noise when open on the street or does the Aussie make noise then to? My front Detroit makes no noise while driving in 2wd.
An Aussie and Lockrite both make a clicking/ratcheting noise when you're in 2wd while while making a turn. Think of a ratchet wrench when you turn the wrench the opposite direction while tightening something.

Reactions: Hopper
An Aussie and Lockrite both make a clicking/ratcheting noise on the street when you're in 2wd while making a turn. Think of a ratchet wrench when you turn the wrench the opposite direction while tightening something.
That would drive me nuts, I went with the Detroits from your recommendation and glad I did.

Another vote for Powertrax No Slip. No issues, easy install, completely quiet, works flawlessly.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Thanks to you all for the info. I appreciate your time. Very helpful to talk to the ones who have been there. I was leaning towards the no slip because of all the good things I have read here but then heard how strong the Aussie was and that it is american made!

The main reason that I went with the Aussie was because of the great reviews, strength and price. I agree with everyone else though, if noise is going to be a concern, the no-slip would probably be your best bet. Even though to be honest, I hardly ever notice the Aussie but to others it might annoy.

Thanks again folks. I believe I will go with the No-Slip. It might be worth the extra money to not have to explain why my Jeep is clicking. But then again I do love to talk about Jeeps:sneaky: