Barn find: Warn 8274

ToddDerrArtist

TJ Enthusiast
I went up to Indiana earlier this week to visit my mom and look at some projects around the house she would like for me to tackle this summer.

While there, I snooped around in my dad's old pole barn to see what I might find. I knew he had an 8274 on his old 3/4 ton Chevy Suburban, but my little brother had scavanged the winch bumper off of it for one of his projects.

Lo and behold, the winch was back in a dark corner and I talked with my bro if he'd have a problem with me putting it on my Jeep. He said he didn't want to use it as it takes up too much space in front of the radiator. Oh, well, I'll deal with that problem...if it even is one. So, I packed it back to Tennessee today and sat it on the bumper to get a look at it. It was working....years ago. But, I know it needs some freshing up. I think it will be worth the effort.

Anyone good with Warn serial numbers and date codes?

As you might understand...this will never be for sale...in case you had the thought. It's kind of a family heirloom.

Thanks!

jeepforumwarnwinch101.jpg

jeepforumwarnwinch2101.jpg

I went up to Indiana earlier this week to visit my mom and look at some projects around the house she would like for me to tackle this summer.

While there, I snooped around in my dad's old pole barn to see what I might find. I knew he had an 8274 on his old 3/4 ton Chevy Suburban, but my little brother had scavanged the winch bumper off of it for one of his projects.

Lo and behold, the winch was back in a dark corner and I talked with my bro if he'd have a problem with me putting it on my Jeep. He said he didn't want to use it as it takes up too much space in front of the radiator. Oh, well, I'll deal with that problem...if it even is one. So, I packed it back to Tennessee today and sat it on the bumper to get a look at it. It was working....years ago. But, I know it needs some freshing up. I think it will be worth the effort.

Anyone good with Warn serial numbers and date codes?

As you might understand...this will never be for sale...in case you had the thought. It's kind of a family heirloom.

Thanks!

View attachment 163458
View attachment 163459
Beautiful piece man. Get in contact with warn for rebuilding it and they can send you all you need to restore it :)

For the date code is the first letter is the month.

The second letter is the day. But to make it tricky, it is the work day and not the actual day of the month. For example a normal month would have 20 work days in it. So if the second letter were a C, that would be the third work day of the month.

The number is the last number of the year it was built.

Reactions: ToddDerrArtist
Sweet find!! I love my 8274, and even if the Jeep goes, that'll probably be staying with me, lol. Every part is available for these, and they are very easy to work on. Warn will also send you a free decal pack for it. I found the info for that on this site somewhere.

That’s a great story! A good source for the Aeroshell 64 grease recommended by Warn is your local airport’s maintenance shop. I got my tube for $5 less than amazon and supported a local business

That brings back memories - my Dad had one of those on his trucks (Ford, then a Dodge, then another Ford) and the winch got a *lot* of use over the years. Awesome find.

Sweet find!! I love my 8274, and even if the Jeep goes, that'll probably be staying with me, lol. Every part is available for these, and they are very easy to work on. Warn will also send you a free decal pack for it. I found the info for that on this site somewhere.

I don't know how long ago you got the decal pack but in the thread I link I supplied the info on how to get the decal pack.

I got my decal pack for free from Warn but it didn’t line up with the 70s winch, it was the newer style. I ended up getting the right decal off a guy on the IH8Mud forum.

E13DB627-909D-4956-89FB-9F1F703E63EC.jpeg

Last edited:
Not to hijack the thread, but this came with my jeep when I purchased it two years ago. It was not working so I removed it as it is HEAVY as hell. I take it its worth trying to fix? I have no idea what is wrong with it.

View attachment 163582

It is a beast of a winch. I'm probably biased because this is the winch of my youth. My dad, my uncles, all had the 8274 on their vehicles...never let us down and with much use and some may say, abuse. :D

It's a valuable winch, in my opinion.

523553_4511576955857_578121890_n (2).jpg