Bosch 67655 fuel pump

Has anyone tried putting an inline check valve in the line? Are there any reasons not to do this?

Just a quick update. Amazon is sending me a replacement Delphi FG1353 at no charge. That's good customer service! I'm hoping the second one lasts longer.

For me the toughest part of the job was removing and replacing the large plastic nut that holds the fuel module to the tank. So I blew $29 on a Lisle 6300 Fuel Tank Lock Ring Tool. Hopefully it makes the job less unpleasant.
1566245383832.png

Has anyone tried putting an inline check valve in the line? Are there any reasons not to do this?

I can't get this link to work - but it seems an inline check valve is not a strong solution:

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/who-has-added-line-fuel-pump-check-valve-684229/index4.html
Wish I would have seen these warnings before, I installed a check valve today but wanted to do some more research to see if it was "the right decision". I had the same issues listed in previews replies, just replaced my fuel pump last month for 98 TJ fuel gauge not working and weeks later this happened. I already got the parts so what the hell, I'll test it out

My setup is using braided Russel fuel lines using aluminum connectors, Russel check valve with a female-female -6 adapter. All my fuel lines after the check valve are new braided lines so if it leaks, it will be on the fuel rail or injectors rings. It definitely has fixed the issue and starts immediately, I'm going for a test drive.

——————-
UPDATE
——————-
The people who said don't use an inline check valve, they were definitely right! The check valve put too much pressure on the injectors. When I got back from a 5-mile test trip, one of the fuel injectors ITSELF was leaking (not from the top or bottom or rings, it cracked open the injector). Crazy.

• Wow
Reactions: KCsTJ and ranwilrw
I can't get this link to work - but it seems an inline check valve is not a strong solution:

https://Jeep Forum/forum/f9/who-has-added-line-fuel-pump-check-valve-684229/index4.html
Wish I would have seen these warnings before, I installed a check valve today but wanted to do some more research to see if it was "the right decision". I had the same issues listed in previews replies, just replaced my fuel pump last month for 98 TJ fuel gauge not working and weeks later this happened. I already got the parts so what the hell, I'll test it out

My setup is using braided Russel fuel lines using aluminum connectors, Russel check valve with a female-female -6 adapter. All my fuel lines after the check valve are new braided lines so if it leaks, it will be on the fuel rail or injectors rings. It definitely has fixed the issue and starts immediately, I'm going for a test drive.

——————-
UPDATE
——————-
The people who said don't use an inline check valve, they were definitely right! The check valve put too much pressure on the injectors. When I got back from a 5-mile test trip, one of the fuel injectors ITSELF was leaking (not from the top or bottom or rings, it cracked open the injector). Crazy.
Yeah, that has been a concern of mine also, guess I'll just keep cycling the ignition.

https://Jeep Forum/forum/f9/who-has-added-line-fuel-pump-check-valve-684229/index4.html

——————-
UPDATE
——————-

Yikes! That could have been a very dangerous test. I replaced my pump recently and will likely replace the injectors and o-rings eventually when I get a round to it. Part of me wants to wait until they fail and the other part of me wants to replace them now and save the originals for spares. Just Empty Every Pocket, LOL.

Reactions: reddvltj
As an alternative option as parts are getting harder to find, I've been running the late model 05-06 fuel pump (JK pump also fits the same size hole) in my 04 and I've been monitoring AFR. So far everything looks normal. The computer appears to understand the increase in pressure and is adjusting for it.

I found lots of websites that claimed to have the pump in stock, but few that actually did once you called them up. As far as I know, there are only a handful left available to even dealerships.

As an alternative option as parts are getting harder to find, I've been running the late model 05-06 fuel pump (JK pump also fits the same size hole) in my 04 and I've been monitoring AFR. So far everything looks normal. The computer appears to understand the increase in pressure and is adjusting for it.

Direct drop in? Got any more info on this?

Direct drop in?

Depends on what you have.

Got any more info on this?

There are 2 main groups of the pumps:
  • 97-04 TJ (and (some?) XJ) fuel pump is all one style of clamping ring and same size hole but there is 2 different styles of electrical connectors used (I'm not positive but I think the split happened in 03.).
  • 05-06 TJ through 2018 JK used the same connector and is compatible with the same style of clamping ring (some of the JK pumps need to be extended to reach the bottom of the TJ depth tank... I'm not sure which years or part numbers they are).

The TJ years have 3 style of plugs:

1. 97-02(?) 4 contacts 2 on 2.
  2. 03(?)-04 4 contacts in a single row.
  3. 05-06 4 contacts in a single row with a key.

If you remove the key from the 05-18 fuel pump the 03(?)-04 pump will work as long as you switch the order of the pump positive and negative wires (the fuel sending unit wires stay the same). The 2 on 2 style connector will require a different plug be crimped onto the vehicle side harness. The harnesses may need to be lengthened to reach the pump.

I'm not sure if all TJ years are compatible with the higher pressure (58psi) of the still available 05-06 TJ and 07-18 JK pumps. I have not noticed any issues with my i6 4.0L 2004 LJ as of yet but I also haven't put many miles on it with this pump yet.

The 05-06 fuel tank will fit into some (or most?) of the factory and aftermarket TJ skids.

Reactions: JDM and Drippy
Reactions: SSTJ