CB radio recommendation

Am I wrong to expect a 3-5 maybe even 6 mile range with a 3 foot antenna?
In most areas, expecting that kind of range would not be realistic. The conditions have to be absolutely ideal for that kind of range with a CB, which means absolutely flat with no hills or other obstructions.

In most areas, expecting that kind of range would not be realistic. The conditions have to be absolutely ideal for that kind of range with a CB, which means absolutely flat with no hills or other obstructions.

Thanks Jerry, then the range I have doesn't bother me one bit, as it seems everything is functioning as it should

CB radio's were assigned a small portion of the (useless) HF band around 27mhz. Without going deep into the physics, suffice to say that it's essentially a line-of-sight transceiver. Yes, during the peak of the day under certain ideal conditions you might hook up with someone thousands of miles away due to refraction in the ionosphere. Otherwise, you're just using the ground-wave and most of the CB's very low output power is wasted on the moon (literally). Any obstruction with any amount of mass will absorb the signal and that's why CB's are limited in their effectiveness.

The antenna is the most important part of your system and that also goes for the ground plane beneath it. These two components shape the lobe of your radiated signal when you transmit. Short antennas really handicap your range. For instance, if you mounted your stick in the center of a steel roof, you would radiate a nice omnidirectional pattern. Unfortunately, Jeep hardtops do not conduct. Mounting a pair of antennas on the side mirrors, which was popular with the truckers, forms directional lobes out the front and back, very little on the sides.

A 4' antenna in the center of the hood would perform best but look pretty dorky. Maybe if you went with a tuned thin steel version instead of the white or black thick wound versions.

To me, the use of a CB on a Jeep is primarily and usually that of communications between Jeeps while offroading. For that, not much range is needed... a mile will usually easily exceed the size of the group being wheeled with. Personally, I started with a 4' antenna but through the past 20 years of using a CB on a Jeep ended up with a 2' antenna which I've been running with for probably 12-12 years now. I'm typically at the front of groups of Jeeps and that 2' Firestick FS-2 antenna works extremely well, receiving solid signal reports when I am talking to the guys all the way at the back of the group... even when we get spread out. And my antenna is mounted at the rear corner of my Jeep.

The only reason I'd expect anyone to be shooting for all the range they could possibly get would be if they were a CB hobbyist and not someone who just needs to be able to communicate while offroad.

I'm an electronics & 2-way radio 'geek', and I built & installed my first antennas back in the early 60's while I was in high school. Been a radio/electronics/ham radio guy ever since. So I fully understand the benefits to be had of various antenna placements, antenna heights, etc. but on my TJ? Nah, it's just a tool and not a toy for trying to see how far I can talk. If I can reach & hear all the Jeeps in my groups, I'm happy. My 2' antenna mounted at the rear corner of my TJ works extremely well... better than many would assume or guess a 2' antenna would. It works so well I have never considered reinstalling the 3' or 4' Firestick antennas I still have somewhere in my garage.

N6TAY :)

Reactions: John L and Stinger
Is it advisable to use a spring antenna base(?)? I assume it is but you know what happens when....,,,,
Springs are ok for the highway but offroad they let the antenna sway around too much which encourages it to bang into the top, tub, etc. Not to mention adding a spring also adds electrical length to the antenna which can make it a lot harder to tune for a good low SWR.

Is it advisable to use a spring antenna base(?)? I assume it is but you know what happens when....,,,,

Up to you.
I have a heavy duty spring and 3 foot firestik attached to a taillight mount. The spring makes it easy to lean the antenna and hold with bungee to clear limbs and stuff, plus there's the mental placebo of maybe not wrecking the taillight, mount, or tub if I somehow snag on something.
But needed? Nope.
My setup with spring has been working like a champ for years and I have no complaints, but a shorter antenna mounted closer to center would probably have achieved the same thing. And like Mr. B mentioned, SWR could take a bit of extra work to get dialed in by adding the spring. Not a huge deal, but not always plug and play. On the flip side of that, in weird cases that are tough to tune and need length, adding a spring could actually make SWR happy. Tons-o little variables out there however. YMMV. Don't sweat it. Find a setup you like and try it.

Reactions: matkal
The people who sell CB's and antennas typically recommend a heavy duty spring for Firestik II antennas 4' and longer and a medium duty spring for 3' Firestik II antennas.

The consensus on some of the overlanding forums, where users often mount antennas to roof racks and other locations high on the vehicle, is to run a heavy duty spring with Firestik II antennas 3' or longer and a medium duty spring with 2' Firestik II antennas. These same spring users often complain that their antennas are harder to tune with the spring than without. [Which should come as no surprise for the reasons stated a post or two above, especially with a shorty antenna like a two footer.]

There are downsides to running springs. If you are seeking a slightly more flexible antenna without those downsides, think a bit outside the box:

Rather than run the ubiquitous, relatively stiff Firestik II that has adorned nearly every CB equipped jeep since the 1980's (including all of mine), you might want to consider the more flexible Firestik Firefly.

I own both 3' and 4' Firestik Fireflys. I purchased the 3' Firefly as an alternative to a stiff Firestik II and spring on the roof rack of my Xterra, It has performed well for five years and survived some very hard hits even without a spring.

I was impressed enough by the 3' Firefly that in 2017 I purchased a 4' Firefly for my jeep - which I also run with no spring.

http://www.firestik.com/Catalog/FL3-FL4.htm

I started out with a firestick FS-3' antenna with a Firestick heavy duty spring on a stainless steel taillight mount bracket. You can't go offroading with this setup as the antenna whips too bad and beats up your top. Plus, the antenna hits when i pull into my 7' garage door.
On my second attempt, i lost the spring and went with a 2' FS antenna. Plenty of reception for jeeping in groups, doesn't beat up my jeep from whipping, and does not hit my garage door. I think this is a great way to go.
BTW, grounds are so important, I grounded thru the stainless bracket (Quadratec Part #: 96080.111), to the jeep and also ran a ground strap from that bracket to inside the jeep fender well.

With a good ground, a Uniden 510 CB, the 18 foot cable from CB to rear taillight for jeeps, stainless taillight antenna mount, and FS-2' antenna, the system works great and was "tuned" from factory. I also mounted my cb with a dash mount that mounts on the left side of the dash. Seems like a great spot - out of the way and looks good.

I started out with a firestick FS-3' antenna with a Firestick heavy duty spring on a stainless steel taillight mount bracket. You can't go offroading with this setup as the antenna whips too bad and beats up your top. Plus, the antenna hits when i pull into my 7' garage door.
On my second attempt, i lost the spring and went with a 2' FS antenna. Plenty of reception for jeeping in groups, doesn't beat up my jeep from whipping, and does not hit my garage door. I think this is a great way to go.
BTW, grounds are so important, I grounded thru the stainless bracket (Quadratec Part #: 96080.111), to the jeep and also ran a ground strap from that bracket to inside the jeep fender well.

With a good ground, a Uniden 510 CB, the 18 foot cable from CB to rear taillight for jeeps, stainless taillight antenna mount, and FS-2' antenna, the system works great and was "tuned" from factory. I also mounted my cb with a dash mount that mounts on the left side of the dash. Seems like a great spot - out of the way and looks good.
Any pics of the setup? Clearing 7’ garage door is a priority. I’d love to see how it looks.

Skip the Cobra, seriously.

The Uniden PRO 520XL is highly regarded as one of the best CB radios on the market.

Check it out, the reviews don't lie:
Uniden PRO 520XL CB Radio

I own one, and I believe a number of other people use one including @Jerry Bransford.

It's a very solid radio for a very good price. I did a ton of research on CB radios before I purchased mine, and all signs seemed to point to this one. I use it with a 3' FireStik antenna, and it works very, very well!

Same exact setup here.... Thinking about picking an “audio interrupt” cbm-u4 which mutes the radio and uses the Jeeps speakers for the cb. Not to thread jack, but has anyone used one?

Same exact setup here.... Thinking about picking an “audio interrupt” cbm-u4 which mutes the radio and uses the Jeeps speakers for the cb. Not to thread jack, but has anyone used one?

I would post a new thread on that subject. It’s going to get lost in this thread 👍

Reactions: DWR
FYI

One of the newer CB's on the market is the President Bill. It is full featured and extremely compact.

At $99, only $30 more than a Uniden 520, and smaller with features like NOAA weather and channel scan that the Uniden 520 doesn't have, the President Bill is a very attractive alternative.

If i didn't already have a perfectly good Uniden i would buy one.

bill-fcc-red-re-81.jpg

https://president-electronics.us/CB-Radios/AM-transceivers/BILL-FCC

Last edited:
Any pics of the setup? Clearing 7’ garage door is a priority. I’d love to see how it looks.
I do have to make an adjustment to my original post, my 3 ft FS antenna was tuned. The 2 ft I had to adjust about 3/8 of an inch out on the tip. Also, my buddy found a spring at a gas station for 10 bucks that is about three times more stiff than the FS heavy duty spring. I did install that

IMG_20200723_213452.jpg

IMG_20200723_213458.jpg

Last edited:
I do have to make an adjustment to my original post, my 3 ft FS antenna was tuned. The 2 ft I had to adjust about 3/8 of an inch out on the tip. Also, my buddy found a spring at a gas station for 10 bucks that is about three times more stiff than the FS heavy duty spring. I did install that

View attachment 179053

View attachment 179054
Thanks for sharing! I like how that looks a lot. I wasn’t sure if the antenna would get sufficient reception being that close to the roofline. I’d think it would probably work similarly with a hard top? If so that seems like a winner to me.

Thanks for sharing! I like how that looks a lot. I wasn’t sure if the antenna would get sufficient reception being that close to the roofline. I’d think it would probably work similarly with a hard top? If so that seems like a winner to me.
I also have a hard top. And it works just fine with the hard top. Don't get me wrong, the 3 ft that gets the antenna a little above the roof has much better reception, but if you're within I will half mile a mile of other Jeeps, the 24-in antenna is fine

Reactions: Rubicon John
FYI

One of the newer CB's on the market is the President Bill. It is full featured and extremely compact.

At $99, only $30 more than a Uniden 520, and smaller with features like NOAA weather and channel scan that the Uniden 520 doesn't have, the President Bill is a very attractive alternative.

View attachment 178873

If I already did not have my Midland 75-822, I would install this one.

IMG_20200722_075017.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If I already did not have my Midland 75-822, I would install this one.

I stumbled across it a few weeks ago on Amazon and picked one up. Very nice radio and truly amazing how small it is. Would highly recommend this to any Jeeper.

FYI

View attachment 178873

I did have a perfectly good radio (Uniden 505 with an external speaker, less than $50 for both) but wanted a new toy. Holy poop is it tiny. Worth double the price? Meh...a bit overkill for a lot of features that get limited to no use for me and the Unidens aren't that big to begin with. Kinda felt bad abandoning my tried and true Uniden, however, it does make for a sexy clean install and works like a champ. The external speaker for $15 bucks made a much bigger difference.