Chrome on a TJ: How much is too much?

Remember that opinions are like butt holes. Everyone has one and most of them stink.

You can ask for advice/opinions all day long. And you can respect the opinion or advice given BUT you don't have to take it. Some people seem to have a issue with this. Just enjoy your Jeep and as you have already done make it YOURS. No one else has to like it or drive it.

I don't plan on removing any of the chrome the original owner installed- I kinda find it easier to get bugs off and it doesn't rock chip like paint.

Something else to remember is it is YOUR Jeep. I'm with most everyone who said any chrome is too much chrome. BUT I am not buying your parts so you get what makes you happy. The aluminum rockers do look good on your Jeep. That use to be the standard for rocker protection but now there is stronger items for that. They don't look as flashy but you don't end up with dented up rockers any more either.

View attachment 83143

Just like these corner guards were the standard in 1992 when I bought my first YJ. But as things have evolved so has what we do to our Jeeps. It doesn't mean you can't still install the stuff on your rig. But understand that while it looks good it isn't going to protect your Jeep as well as the armor made for our rigs. But if you aren't going to be wheeling it in places where you might damage the body then it doesn't matter. For those of us that wheel in trees and rocks and such the armor helps to keep our rigs looking have way straight. But we pay the price in it being HEAVY.

Being in Florida I would worry about any chromed metal rusting over time. Aluminum parts to me would be better.
And BTW I don't even like chrome on my Harley. I have taken it off a little at a time. I would rather ride than polish chrome.

View attachment 83145

Make it yours and enjoy it.

Great advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Five
Back when cars were made of all steel, chrome was used as an accent to give them some extra shine. Around the late 70s, it turned into who could put the most chrome on their vehicle. In the 90s vehicles were mostly mono-color with some plastic and aluminum wheels. The 2000s dawned the plastic era and nowadays vehicles have plastic chrome which doesn't really fool anybody of the old days. It just looks cheap if not done right. To play it safe most just black out any shine and use it as an accent color. When choosing colors or trims you do not want it to look like an afterthought. It can look like lipstick on a pig.

Reactions: SafariRumbler
I used to love the look of chrome. I had a 00 silverado that had wheels, grill guard, grill inserts, cleared headlights, mudflaps, bed caps and rails, and exhaust. All stainless steel. As I got older though most of it wound up being taken off.

Though I do love the chrome and stainless steel on my motorcycle.

I'm not busting on anyone for installing chrome on their rig. The meme was just funny and fit the conversation. It's your rig and you are the one that needs to be happy with the way it looks. If you like it that is all that matters. I've had people ask me why I did things to mine that they felt were different than they thought it should look.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
That's one of the things that makes our TJ's great. There are so many options out there and you can built it to how YOU use it.

Reactions: DrDmoney