CJ turn signals on TJ

Different fenders does explain the dualities of your Tj’s turn signals. So your conundrum is to either go with flat fenders or hire a body shop to fill in some holes. Or live with extra marker lights. If the grille mounted lights are well done and rust free i’d mod the fender and make your Tj different from all the others. And you can get a better paint match on your fenders. Jeep on.

Reactions: lowranger
Different fenders does explain the dualities of your Tj’s turn signals. So your conundrum is to either go with flat fenders or hire a body shop to fill in some holes. Or live with extra marker lights. If the grille mounted lights are well done and rust free i’d mod the fender and make your Tj different from all the others. And you can get a better paint match on your fenders. Jeep on.
Could always swap the grill. Pick up a TJ grill at a salvage yard and return it back to a normal TJ. Prob be cheaper than filling the fenders.

@Ckysodkorn

I just lopped my fenders off when I did my grill lights, until I figure out if I'm gonna build or buy new fenders.

IMG_0562.jpg

They seem okay so far. Buy them direct if you get them, they're like 50% less than retail.
I have a few minor gripes, one I just noticed the other day is when they get hot, they expand and leave waves in between the bolts. Also the bolts are not stainless and start to rust in a couple of days.
I'll prb still make some steel ones when I have time.
I just really like the flat fender look.

Reactions: Leroy_TJ
It's easily done with nothing more than a 3 1/8" steel hole saw and a pair of JK turn signal enclosures, I did mine years ago. JK front turn signal enclosures fit the 3 1/8" hole perfectly. The TJ's front turn signal bulb enclosures fit the JK turn signal enclosures perfectly.

If you get serious and are ready to do this, I have a few additional tidbits to make the mounting of the JK enclosures easy so they don't require anything additional to old them in place. The enclosures can be made to twist-lock into place with no extra hardware required.

These photos are from my previous TJ but I did the same thing on my current TJ.

View attachment 61816View attachment 61806 View attachment 61807
I am about to do this! Would love to hear how you mounted the enclosures to twist-lock into place. And any advice on measuring their placement would be greatly appreciated as well!

any advice on measuring their placement would be greatly appreciated as well!
I used the grille slot and the bottom of the panel to measure a pilot hole at the 90* angle. The flat edges make it a little easier than trying to measure down from the headlight opening which is round, or the outside edge that slopes.

I am about to do this! Would love to hear how you mounted the enclosures to twist-lock into place. And any advice on measuring their placement would be greatly appreciated as well!
Measure where you think they should go. I used the bottom of the grill and the grill slot itself to make sure they were symmetrical. Once the hole is drilled, simply hold your jk housing to it and mark where the slots need to be dremeled

20200802_102515.jpg

In my mind, the CJ turn signals don't look right on a TJ unless you could get rid of the fender mounted turn signals.

I agree.

I think if you went with the CJ-style turn signals on a TJ, they would look much better if they could somehow be recessed, like the headlights are.

Reactions: Chris
To make them lock in to place a slot is cut into the fender at 12–4 and 8 on your circle cutout and then the 3 plastic reenforcement fins that slide into those slots are cut on the bottom to allow the grille to slide in it when the light is twisted. And prime and paint the raw steel.

If you use JK front turn signal enclosures, which closely resemble the CJ lights, the OE TJ bulb holders twist-lock directly into them.
This is what ill be using when I install my new MCE fenders that just showed up. I will follow your old write up too with the notches and all.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford