CJ turn signals on TJ

I’m going to do the jk conversion but there are conflicting sizes for the hole saw on this thread... @Jerry Bransford mentioned a 3 1/16 and someone else mentioned and I’ve seen elsewhere a 3 1/8 is used...
Just want to measure twice and cut once if someone could confirm please.
TIA.

I’m going to do the jk conversion but there are conflicting sizes for the hole saw on this thread... @Jerry Bransford mentioned a 3 1/16 and someone else mentioned and I’ve seen elsewhere a 3 1/8 is used...
Just want to measure twice and cut once if someone could confirm please.
TIA.
If I said 3 1/16" somewhere please give me a link to that post so I can go back to correct it. I just double-checked the hole my JK signals are in to make sure and it's definitely 3 1/8".

It's easily done with nothing more than a 3 1/8" steel hole saw and a pair of JK turn signal enclosures, I did mine years ago. JK front turn signal enclosures fit the 3 1/8" hole perfectly. The TJ's front turn signal bulb enclosures fit the JK turn signal enclosures perfectly.

If you get serious and are ready to do this, I have a few additional tidbits to make the mounting of the JK enclosures easy so they don't require anything additional to old them in place. The enclosures can be made to twist-lock into place with no extra hardware required.

These photos are from my previous TJ but I did the same thing on my current TJ.

View attachment 61816View attachment 61806 View attachment 61807
I realize this thread is almost 3 yrs old, but I am going to attempt this conversion on my TJ and would very much value any tips, tricks and/or advice you might have.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: harbiison
I realize this thread is almost 3 yrs old, but I am going to attempt this conversion on my TJ and would very much value any tips, tricks and/or advice you might have.

Thanks in advance!
Notice the plastic turn signal enclosure has 3 external strengthening ribs. Place 3 small corresponding notches into the 3 1/8" hole you cut to accommodate them, clock the 3 notches slightly so the lens can only be inserted slightly off-vertical. Saw/cut a thin sheet metal width notch into each of the 3 plastic ribs at the very front. Those 3 notches in the ribs will allow the lens to be rotated slightly to vertical which will lock it into place.

Reactions: Bud125
Notice the plastic turn signal enclosure has 3 external strengthening ribs. Place 3 small corresponding notches into the 3 1/8" hole you cut to accommodate them, clock the 3 notches slightly so the lens can only be inserted slightly off-vertical. Saw/cut a thin sheet metal width notch into each of the 3 plastic ribs at the very front. Those 3 notches in the ribs will allow the lens to be rotated slightly to vertical which will lock it into place.
Thank you sir!
I will follow your instructions and pray! LOL

You tha man!!! (y)

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Thank you sir!
I will follow your instructions and pray! LOL

You tha man!!! (y)
I added a 4th photo to my post back on the first page. You can see the notches I added to the hole so the bulb enclosure ribs can slide through them. The 3 notches are clocked 10-15 degrees from straight up as discussed above.

I really like the look of the CJ turn signals on the grill of the TJ with the signals on the fenders removed. But looks like it would be a little pricy if you don't know how to do your own body work of the fenders.
I would go with the original looking CJ turn signals.
Has anyone done this?View attachment 61710
I love the look. It would work well if you decided to replace your fenders with something too.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
High on my list as well, will go with the Willys or CJ style with the chrome bezel though.

Couple photos I've saved off the web...

View attachment 61905
That looks perfect. The proportions are right on. It looks like it came from the factory that way. This is exactly how I would like mine to look.

I think the chrome bezels made the difference, as it is consistent with the chrome headlight bezels. Do you where the chrome bezels came from?

Use lots of tape to sketch things out over and over!

2904F49B-D865-446C-87D7-E39BE1A753F8.jpeg

Reactions: Mudflat
I added a 4th photo to my post back on the first page. You can see the notches I added to the hole so the bulb enclosure ribs can slide through them. The 3 notches are clocked 10-15 degrees from straight up as discussed above.
I went back and checked out the added photo and it was very helpful! Thank you for posting that.
One more question, can you or would you mind giving the details of your front fenders? That is EXACTLY the look I've been wanting for my TJ, reminiscent of the old CJ-3B Jeeps!

Thanks again for all your tips, help and insight!

One more question, can you or would you mind giving the details of your front fenders? That is EXACTLY the look I've been wanting for my TJ, reminiscent of the old CJ-3B Jeeps!
Are you talking about the aluminum fenders? I can point you to my original installation thread but the model of Poison Spyder fender I installed is no longer available.

Are you talking about the aluminum fenders? I can point you to my original installation thread but the model of Poison Spyder fender I installed is no longer available.
Bummer... I really love the look and styling of those fenders!! I may have to make a set by hand, nothing on the market is catching my eye.

I would still love to watch your installation video if you would be kind enough to post the link or point me in the right direction :)

Bummer... I really love the look and styling of those fenders!! I may have to make a set by hand, nothing on the market is catching my eye.

I would still love to watch your installation video if you would be kind enough to post the link or point me in the right direction :)
https://www.wranglerforum.com/threads/poison-spyders-new-defender-fenders-a-review.164429/
Poison Spyder does still make cool fenders https://shop.poisonspyder.com/Jeep-TJ-LJ-Tube-Flat-Fenders-Armor-s/62.htm