Cost and quality of control arms

what should a noob be on the lookout for when it comes to low cost adjustible control arms. Obviously, “you get what you pay for” applies to all things, but what are the risks? Is it the bushings that breakdown quicker than higher priced competitors or do the arms actually break under stress?

Seems to me that even the cheapest aftermarket adjustibles are better than the stock arms. Fair assumption or no?
For a decent budget Core control arm run about 700.00 check them out. To step up a little more Metalcloak and and all the way around will run you around 1100.

For a decent budget Core control arm run about 700.00 check them out. To step up a little more Metalcloak and and all the way around will run you around 1100.
Ugh. This is only useful when we know what the OP is trying to accomplish. The core 4x4 arms are as bad as every other CA on rubber/poly bushings. They don't graduate beyond that until tier 2 ($900) and really only compete with the rest until they're in the same price range.

Feel free to buy into MCs though. I've had to grease my joints (nearly a zero cost) when wheeling buddies had to replace the whole joint since they're not serviceable.

I'll shut up now though, since otherwise we will dive into a JJ vs MC thread between those that know and don't.

Reactions: Kevin E and L J
So….what exactly should someone be on the lookout for? ie: what is a sign of poor quality vs high quality?
Cost. Good (parts) ain't cheap and cheap (parts) ain't good.
That’s not what I’m asking.
It's the information you should be providing. You will then receive recommendations from others with experience from similar usage instead of going in circles seeking "quantifiable metrics".

Last edited:
As has been said by now, the joint is the biggest difference with aftermarket arms. A Johnny Joint is pretty much the gold standard. The cheaper arms are going to have poorly built joints with poorly build materials and tolerances. While this is probably fine for street use, the joints will wear out much quicker, parts won’t be as readily available, etc.

You get what you pay for, believe me.

If you want to get into why one joint is so much better than another, talk to @mrblaine about that but I would caution you to listen and not question him. If you have thin skin you won’t last more than a few minutes with him.

I’m also going to say that no one hear is trying to attack you whatsoever. You’re reading way too far into things if you believe anyone is actually trying to attack you or talk down to you.

what should a noob be on the lookout for when it comes to low cost adjustible control arms. Obviously, “you get what you pay for” applies to all things, but what are the risks? Is it the bushings that breakdown quicker than higher priced competitors or do the arms actually break under stress?
There are a ton of JJ knock-offs out there. They all have a downside that makes them not an equal replacement. The red flags are hard urethane races with a threaded adjuster. Some just have a basic shit flexible urethane race that doesn't fit correctly and are loose out of the box. The arms by and large do not fail, they have other issues but breakage is a very low incident rate.
Seems to me that even the cheapest aftermarket adjustibles are better than the stock arms. Fair assumption or no?
Not a fair assumption at all because the aftermarket has the engineering grace of a 3 legged elephant. They throw metal at it to accomplish the same thing the factory did with a couple of bushings and some high grade sheet metal measured in ounces per arm.

Better is also highly subjective. Unless you are in danger of actual physical damage to the lower arms on rocks or similar, you can't even get close to beating the dollar per dollar value of a set of stock arms with anything aftermarket.

They are simply good at what they need to do, they are durable, don't tear up the frame and axle mounts, and cost less for a whole arm than a single quality joint in an aftermarket arm.

(Blows raspberry)

20210508_145056.jpg

As has been said by now, the joint is the biggest difference with aftermarket arms. A Johnny Joint is pretty much the gold standard. The cheaper arms are going to have poorly built joints with poorly build materials and tolerances. While this is probably fine for street use, the joints will wear out much quicker, parts won’t be as readily available, etc.

You get what you pay for, believe me.

If you want to get into why one joint is so much better than another, talk to @mrblaine about that but I would caution you to listen and not question him. If you have thin skin you won’t last more than a few minutes with him.

I’m also going to say that no one hear is trying to attack you whatsoever. You’re reading way too far into things if you believe anyone is actually trying to attack you or talk down to you.
Yeah, I don't think anyone is attacking. But I do think that - until more recent posts — nobody has been actually answering the question and are assuming that I'm comparing low cost to high-cost. I'm not at all asking what makes a $1600 set of JJ arms better than a $400 set of low budget adjustable. I'm asking: if I'm looking at low-cost adjustables, what is going to make one particular brand better or worse than the other (assuming they're within the same price range). I get that they'll both likely have the same bushings, and both likely be constructed of the same metals, but that's exactly the point of my question: what, if anything, makes one brand better or worse than another. If the answer is nothing, that's useful information because then I can safely go for the cheapest and not be swayed by hype and marketing. But if it is well known that a brand simply makes bad components (compared to the same class of component, not compared to a highend JJ arm), then that is very useful information. Forget about what my intented use is. I want to compare apples to apples and know what, if anything, makes one apple better than the other. If all apples are the same, then I'll buy the cheapest I can find.

...Finally, the "go To" best is Johnny joints. Clayton, Savvy, and Rock Jock (and I'm sure others) use the Johnny Joint. The guys out west love em. Here in the midwest, where we deal with Mud...I'm not sure I like em. They are VERY flexible and robust...but its very tough to keep them in good shape due to the difficulty of greasing (that is a whole different discussion).
Interesting point re JJs and mud. What's your thinking on the best option for those who frequent the brown sticky stuff? We are a bit short on deserts in the UK as well 🤣

Yeah, I don't think anyone is attacking. But I do think that - until more recent posts — nobody has been actually answering the question and are assuming that I'm comparing low cost to high-cost. I'm not at all asking what makes a $1600 set of JJ arms better than a $400 set of low budget adjustable. I'm asking: if I'm looking at low-cost adjustables, what is going to make one particular brand better or worse than the other (assuming they're within the same price range). I get that they'll both likely have the same bushings, and both likely be constructed of the same metals, but that's exactly the point of my question: what, if anything, makes one brand better or worse than another. If the answer is nothing, that's useful information because then I can safely go for the cheapest and not be swayed by hype and marketing. But if it is well known that a brand simply makes bad components (compared to the same class of component, not compared to a highend JJ arm), then that is very useful information. Forget about what my intented use is. I want to compare apples to apples and know what, if anything, makes one apple better than the other. If all apples are the same, then I'll buy the cheapest I can find.
You're looking for the magic bullet, it doesn't exist.

Reactions: Chris
You're looking for the magic bullet, it doesn't exist.
I’m actually not. Im not even looking for recommendations. Im looking for the thought/decision process.

evryone says “the joints”…okay..great, what is bad about a joint from Core 4x4. And to make it a fair comparison, how does that compare to Rough Country or the similarly priced competitors, or even stock?

If driving conditons are required to answer, then assume daily driver with occasional off road. No rock crawling, but some back-country trails and needs.

But why????? Aside from the fact that some dude on a forum said so?
You don't need anything else. The stock arms flex well, are very durable, and unless you are in danger of slamming them on a rock, can't be beat dollar for dollar. That will be the last time I repeat that, believe it or don't.

its becoming clear that everyone is making purchase decisions just because their brother earl told them to do so.
The problem is that all of the budget control arms are crap. The only ones worth a shit are stock replacement.

Reactions: imactj2004