Cutting my hood for ARB compressor

One should know that some ideas are dumb enough not to entertain them.
Yes that's very true, but I've never heard someone say that you shouldn't cut holes in your hood, so what am I supposed to do, just not ask and assume its ok/bad, after all I am the kid with questions

Last edited:
Where I put mine

97910AA4-5102-4C21-B19A-98378B6EDC49.jpeg

Yes that's very true, but I've never heard someone say that you shouldn't cut holes in your hood, so what am I supposed to do, just not ask and assume its ok/bad, after all I am the kid with questions
True. We haven't had a snorkel thread in a while.

Contemplate the following versus that dumb shit you did.

Hey ya'll, I'm looking for some ideas for where to mount my remote air chuck for my onboard air system. Any suggestions as to what has worked well and what you wouldn't do again?

Now the door is open for some sound ideas, some what not to do, and we've learned that how you ask a question is sometimes as important as the question. There is a saying that it is better to be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. ;)

Contemplate the following versus that dumb shit you did.

Hey ya'll, I'm looking for some ideas for where to mount my remote air chuck for my onboard air system. Any suggestions as to what has worked well and what you wouldn't do again?

Now the door is open for some sound ideas, some what not to do, and we've learned that how you ask a question is sometimes as important as the question. There is a saying that it is better to be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. ;)
He's 15 and asked us if it'd cause any problems. He didn't say he was doing it, he asked us for our opinions. Shit he's 15 and trying to learn, and being polite at that. That's all.

I DEFINITELY would not cut my hood for that purpose. These are the two points where I mounted my quick connects.

View attachment 285694View attachment 285695
Hey Jerry, just curious what kinda life you get out of the quick disconnects being mounted like that? Have they ever seized up due to dust etc? Until now I've had my quick release chucks on the interior but have been wanting to do one at each wheel well and only have a short hose to connect.

Last edited:
This Thread makes me laugh! Ok to cut huge holes in your hood for a hood vent and cut away fenders for more tire clearance or cut big vent holes in your quarter panels but you shouldn't even contemplate the idea of putting a 3/4 Brass air hose fitting through the side of the hood?
I'd expect you to fully not understand the difference between notching the hood around a fitting mounted the firewall and drilling a hole for it. The reason is very distinct.

Reactions: jjvw
This Thread makes me laugh! Ok to cut huge holes in your hood for a hood vent and cut away fenders for more tire clearance or cut big vent holes in your quarter panels but you shouldn't even contemplate the idea of putting a 3/4 Brass air hose fitting through the side of the hood?
yeah, I'm also still waiting for someone to say WHY its bad, instead of just saying its bad

Reactions: Wtrask
yeah, I'm also still waiting for someone to say WHY its bad, instead of just saying its bad
One reason i would never put the coupler in that location is that it isn't protected. In order to use it there without opening the hood, the fitting would need to protrude a couple inches out from the body to allow the collar to be pulled back. In my case, where I take my Jeep, chances are good it wouldn't survive. In which case, I not only have damaged plumbing, but also a damaged hood and a damaged fender from the coupler getting snagged on a tree.

Additionally, having the coupler on the side of the vehicle is an inconvenient location for filling the opposite side tires unless you wish to carry around an unnecessarily long hose.

That spot is just a bad location, both functionally and aesthetically and a poor reason to cut the hood.

A bumper mount makes far more sense to me, since I also don't care for a grill mount either.

Last edited:
“Additionally, having the coupler on the side of the vehicle is an inconvenient location for filling the opposite side tires.”

Great point when placing a coupler.

I don’t want to give you life lessons but you have to consider if actions in general are worth the effort or if there are existing options already available. Notching your hood might not be the end of the world but why take such a drastic move when you’ve been offered plenty of alternatives that don’t require any cutting on a difficult corner that is irreversible?

Instead of simply asking questions all the time you might want to start making your own conclusions.

“Additionally, having the coupler on the side of the vehicle is an inconvenient location for filling the opposite side tires.”

Great point when placing a coupler.
In a bit, I'll get pics of my vertical bumper mount and 90° hose fitting that lets the hose rotate side to side and not kink when reaching around the Jeep.