Daily Driver, Go Where I Want To Build

... The visible spot welds are circled.

View attachment 319524

And here they are from the outside when it all falls apart.
20210720_224609.jpg

Folks don't understand the function and construction of the torque box. Few know that the only attachment the tub rear panels where the tail lights are is ONLY at the outer face of the torque box and the only part of the tub that stops the tailgate opening from moving back and forth once the tail gate is open or removed. Not only that but the outer face of the torque box is a single layer of 18 gauge sheet metal with offsets to go under the tail gate. If you look at the lower section under the tail gate, you can see the offset outward indicated by the arrows below. The visible spot welds are circled.

View attachment 319524

That entirely explains to me one of your earlier comments - where you had said that running without a tailgate is a bad idea. Thanks the the visual that really makes it clear.

Folks don't understand the function and construction of the torque box. Few know that the only attachment the tub rear panels where the tail lights are is ONLY at the outer face of the torque box and the only part of the tub that stops the tailgate opening from moving back and forth once the tail gate is open or removed. Not only that but the outer face of the torque box is a single layer of 18 gauge sheet metal with offsets to go under the tail gate. If you look at the lower section under the tail gate, you can see the offset outward indicated by the arrows below. The visible spot welds are circled.

View attachment 319524
i used 4" flat bars that extend from the chopped ends out to support the corners. then used the drilled out plug weld holes to re-weld the corners back to the new backing plates.
i'm interested in what y'all do with the body mounts, compared to what i ended up with. the section under the tub is not very hefty material.

That entirely explains to me one of your earlier comments - where you had said that running without a tailgate is a bad idea. Thanks the the visual that really makes it clear.
That should be qualified with "bad idea without doing something else to stabilize the tub opening for the tail gate". If you welded a crossbar between the roll bar down legs right in front of the opening, that would replicate the function of the tail gate.

Reactions: psrivats
i used 4" flat bars that extend from the chopped ends out to support the corners.
That is what the wings are in the pic below. A single piece that extends through from the edge of the radius that is the round tub corner through to the other side.

1648729154488.png

then used the drilled out plug weld holes to re-weld the corners back to the new backing plates.
We drilled through from the outside to miss the existing armor holes, countersunk and through bolted using undercut head fasteners. Also why I didn't remove that part of the torque box, I wanted the extra thickness.
i'm interested in what y'all do with the body mounts, compared to what i ended up with. the section under the tub is not very hefty material.
I knew I was going to set the new torque box back onto mounts. As such, I wanted to shorten the unsupported span some with a vertical stiffener. If you look carefully, you can see the weld line from the pieces we cut and welded inside that go full height and width front to back. The circles are approximately where we drilled and set the big frame nutserts used for the belly skid.

1648729755447.png

We cut the front face and ends off of the existing torque box so that piece above could slide in. The two pieces that extend away in the above picture, go straight up and lap onto the inside of the cargo area side wall. The lower lip with the arrow was stitch welded full length to the bottom of our new torque box.

1648730052858.png

What isn't obvious is what the other pics with the straight edges show. You can almost see it but it was obvious when we were test fitting the first full length 4" piece from side to side. The top of this torque box got jumped on before welding so the rear section dipped down in the middle by over 1/4".

1648730556242.png

We had to grind a curve into the top of the piece that went against the back wall.

1648730671328.png

But, we did not want that same curve showing up against the tub at the forward face of the torque box, so we tacked in the cap to follow the curve and the warped it back to straight to weld it to that whole front edge.

1648730921242.png

I had the same separation at Josh. Although mine was on the drivers side. I had welded along the inside corner of the tub/cargo area. It has been holding great. Although seeing how the torque box is mounted now I attribute most of that to the mounting of the ORFAB tire carrier to be helping as well since it bolts through the wing area.

I had the same separation at Josh. Although mine was on the drivers side. I had welded along the inside corner of the tub/cargo area. It has been holding great. Although seeing how the torque box is mounted now I attribute most of that to the mounting of the ORFAB tire carrier to be helping as well since it bolts through the wing area.
Knowing what I know now, I would add some more holes in corner armor so 4 of them landed in that rear face to really tie that in better. There'd be lots of bitching about the odd bolt pattern but it would be worth it.

You fucked up the quote by not hitting enter to get out of the text box but the material is 1/8" x 4 across the back. The rest is 1/8" by various widths to fit.

You fucked up the quote by not hitting enter to get out of the text box but the material is 1/8" x 4 across the back. The rest is 1/8" by various widths to fit.
I certainly did and FIFY...

Last edited: