Daily Driver, Go Where I Want To Build

The auto is in there. But the driveshafts are still on the floor. And PCM and stuff needs to get sent out for programming.

Plus a lot of little things need to get out back together!
View attachment 392092

yes just a couple lose ends and she'll be good as new

Why is your right foot unhappy, JJ?

Not enough tickles
tickle-feet.gif

20230205_184400.jpg

Bit by bit, the auto swap is nearing the end. Start up happened today, which was a huge relief after tracking down a plug that wasn't seated correctly. Thanks to Blaine for being methodical and knowing the possible places to look, along with so much other guidance and assistance.

There is far too much that goes into an auto swap to list much detail here. When we did @rasband's swap last summer, things were still overwhelming, but more straight forward. I'll say the most difficult part on mine has been the amount of old mods I have done that can't live in the same space as all the new auto paraphernalia. So, in addition to an automatic, I have been doing a lot of cleaning up past sins, wiring for added accessories being a significant one. All of it occupies a lot of time and it feels like every step involves addressing something I did a long time ago.

Much of the wiring I have added in the past had been run though the big rubber plug near the gas pedal, never knowing or dreaming that I would be putting the auto shifter cable in there. A whole day was spent moving everything to a new grommetted hole in the firewall behind the glove box. This is Blaine's favorite place to route wires. It is far better and easier than the more common path by the gas pedal. This is mid move before the loom was better organized.
20230115_163435.jpg

View attachment 398209

Bit by bit, the auto swap is nearing the end. Start up happened today, which was a huge relief after tracking down a plug that wasn't seated correctly. Thanks to Blaine for being methodical and knowing the possible places to look, along with so much other guidance and assistance.

There is far too much that goes into an auto swap to list much detail here. When we did @rasband's swap last summer, things were still overwhelming, but more straight forward. I'll say the most difficult part on mine has been the amount of old mods I have done that can't live in the same space as all the new auto paraphernalia. So, in addition to an automatic, I have been doing a lot of cleaning up past sins, wiring for added accessories being a significant one. All of it occupies a lot of time and it feels like every step involves addressing something I did a long time ago.

Much of the wiring I have added in the past had been run though the big rubber plug near the gas pedal, never knowing or dreaming that I would be putting the auto shifter cable in there. A whole day was spent moving everything to a new grommetted hole in the firewall behind the glove box. This is Blaine's favorite place to route wires. It is far better and easier than the more common path by the gas pedal. This is mid move before the loom was better organized.
View attachment 398211

👍I have used the same spot by the gas pedal for e-locker cables. No plans for an auto presently but I am getting ready to clean up some wiring and install more accessories. I like that spot on the fire wall. Any pics of your routing from the inside?

👍I have used the same spot by the gas pedal for e-locker cables. No plans for an auto presently but I am getting ready to clean up some wiring and install more accessories. I like that spot on the fire wall. Any pics of your routing from the inside?

No pics. The hole is behind the fuse panel. Remove it and you will see heater core housing and a pair of dimples above it on the firewall that are also visible from the engine bay. From there you can determine where to drill the hole and clear the heater core. I used one of these universal firewall boots. They are available many places under different names.

Screenshot_20230205_212214_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Once behind the glovebox, the pathway into the center dash behind the radio is obvious. From there it is easy to get over to the steering column.

I used a long stiff wire with a hook to thread the accessory wiring through the firewall and out to wherever it needed to go.

Last edited:
I have so many wires running through various grommets. If I ever have to do it again I think I will go with one of the prefabed switch/ relay panels.

Reactions: Paparock1
No pics. The hole is behind the fuse panel. Remove it and you will see heater core housing and a pair of dimples above it on the firewall that are also visible from the engine bay. From there you can determine where to drill the hole and clear the heater core. I used one of these universal firewall boots. They are available many places under different names.

View attachment 398218

Once behind the glovebox, the pathway into the center dash behind the radio is obvious. From there it easy to get over to the steering column.

I used a long stiff wire with a hook to thread the accessory wiring through the firewall and out to wherever it needed to go.

I have found valve cover grommets work well for bundles of wires, they are heavy duty and hold up well.

Reactions: jjvw
I have so many wires running through various grommets. If I ever have to do it again I think I will go with one of the prefabed switch/ relay panels.

Someday in the future, I need to do more to clean up the wiring. A terminal block would be nice, if I could find something that was compact and protected.

I just pulled some old wiring out of my Jeep today. What I started doing when I remember is use a label maker to label each end of the add on harnesses. If I’m troubleshooting or removing something it makes it easier.

An organizational mistake I made a long time ago was not using different wire colors for each accessory. That along with labels would make trouble shooting much nicer.