Dana 44 or Ford 8.8?

97TJBigFoot

I have completely demolished my spider gears in my dana 35 twice already so it’s time to upgrade this time to something that can handle 35’s!

I am trying to find an 8.8 or a Dana 44 to replace my dana 35…

What are you all’s recommendations/advice?

Thanks in advance!

there are a whole lot of threads here on this very topic, try searching around. In a nutshell what you'll find is that the 8.8 is not the favored choice, by far the 44 is preferred. The other option is keep your 35 and add a super 35 kit to it, it'll work for your 35s

The super 35 kit is fairly pricey correct?
From about $1k and up depending on which locker you choose.

HERE is a Super 35 kit with a Detroit locker for under $1200

Unless you get the Dana 44 for a steal, I'd do the Super 35 kit.

And of course the price will be higher if you have to regear.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
The super 35 kit is fairly pricey correct?

yes, as with most things TJ related. But built into that pricey-ness is a locker which is required for the kit so it's an all in one solution to most rear-axle issues that most of us face. You will however save some $$ back on not buying a new housing, it's already attached to your rig. You can do a 44 cheaper if you find a used one that's geared the way you want it & can swap it in yourself. There's no one right answer on cost, it's very dependent on the market you are in at the moment you're doing this upgrade. Again if you research the threads what you'll find is that pound for pound the TJ 44 and the super35 are roughly the same performance/endurance-wise so the issues really do boil down to cost. And bragging rights as well, some just can't bear the thought of saying the number 35 related to their axle, if that's you then certainly hold out for the 44

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Well I will get beat to death, but here goes.
I have a 2001 sport and an 03 rubicon, so I have both axles.
My 01 had a hammered 35. I'm sorry but the axle was junk. Did not want another tooth pick, I shoped for a 44, couldn't find one. Studied the 8.8 and became impressed. It is stronger by quite a bit. The big one for me was also the cost, it was $50. For that cost it has factory installed 4.11's and disc brakes. Yes, it is an inch narrower and the opinion shaft is offset. Neither has cause me problems.
I have a shop with a plasma cutter and welders so that expense was not an issue.
Granted, had it I been able to find a 44 I would have went this way probably. But not at the $1000 plus.
I was not thrilled with the super 35 stuff. The axle is still a tooth pick.
Ok guys, beat me up. I am 70, I can take it

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
Not beating you up, but the only parts of the 44 that are stronger than the Dana 35 are the axle shafts and the carrier, both of which are replaced by the Super 35 kit.

The axle tubes are cut from the exact same pipe so are identical and the Dana 35 center housing is supposedly stronger.

For sure, the stock Dana 35 is weak sauce though.

Not to hijack this thread but I'm curious when looking for used Dana 44s to swap into a TJ. Can Dana 44s from JK, JL or even Gladiators be swapped into a TJ? I see a lot of axles out of those generation jeeps available for sale, not many though that are specifically from a TJ.

Are there specific drawbacks to using a Dana 44 from other generations of Jeep?

Not to hijack this thread but I'm curious when looking for used Dana 44s to swap into a TJ. Can Dana 44s from JK, JL or even Gladiators be swapped into a TJ? I see a lot of axles out of those generation jeeps available for sale, not many though that are specifically from a TJ.

Unless you are doing a front axle swap as well the only 44 that fits is the TJ one. The track width and wheel bolt pattern are different on the Jk and newer axles.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
Unless you are doing a front axle swap as well the only 44 that fits is the TJ one. The track width and wheel bolt pattern are different on the Jk and newer axles.

Got it, thanks. What are the best places to look for used Dana 44s for a TJ? I've been casually searching craigslist for a while and I'm not on Facebook. Junkyards?

That and you have to cut off the brackets and weld on new ones from Barnes or equivalent.

It's certainly an option...but the Jeep Dana 44s have some weak spots...and unless you get them for a good price you're better off buying an ultimate Dana, G2 or Spider.

The only used axles I'd consider swapping into my TJ would be from a Superduty...but that'll come with a TON of fabrication work to get right.

We put a G2 on my wife's JK...I think if I found a sale price of consider them for my TJ... maybe with a touch more width.

High pinion is a consideration.

Right now I'm happy with my Super 30 and 35 kits, Eaton e-lockers and 35s.

-Mac

Hey Black - Does the bracketry on the JK/JL axles require modification to fit under a TJ?

I believe the newer the Dana 44 the more you would need to fit it to a TJ.

I seen like a 2020 or later Dana 44 for sale but was told I would have to look to see if there is a pre made kit for JK, JL, gladiator, etc to fit it to a TJ.

I was not thrilled with the super 35 stuff. The axle is still a tooth pick.
Ok guys, beat me up. I am 70, I can take it
The hardened 30 spline 1541H shaft included with a Super 35 kit from Revolution Gear is stronger than a Dana 44's carbon steel 30 spline shaft. It's well proven, it was developed in the extremely tough unforgiving rock crawling trails in Johnson Valley CA where King of the Hammers is held. It'll easily hold up to the wheeling needs of 99.9999% of us.

It's no toothpick.

Not to mention both the TJ's rear Dana 44 and Dana 35 give more ground clearance than the 8.8's pumpkin does.

Reactions: The4bangertj
Perhaps he was referring to the toothpick-like Dana 35 axle tubes that are so much smaller than his phone-poll-like Dana 44 tubes 🥳
I'm not clear what you meant there, the Dana 35's axle tubes are the same as what TJ's Dana 44 uses. They are cut from the same tube stock.