Do I need a solenoid for winch?

Cal&Mango

Hi, I recently purchased a used warn xd9000i. I’ve never had a winch before let alone installed one. Do I need a solenoid and a bracket for it? What about a switch for inside the dash? Any help?

Depending on what bumper you have you might need a winch plate to mount the winch. Does the winch have a grey or black box on top or beside the drum? If you can post a picture of what you have it might help with what you need.

The i stands integrated solenoid. It's in there already.

Is this what you have?
1647563596264.png

If so the solenoid is in that upper gray part

I’ve got an xd9000i, the box is black. The previous owner told me it needed solenoids. I’ve never rebuilt a winch, any advice? Anything else I should check while I’m doing this?
From the limited research I’ve done I think I can only get replacement solenoids from warn, correct?

I’ve got an xd9000i, the box is black. The previous owner told me it needed solenoids. I’ve never rebuilt a winch, any advice? Anything else I should check while I’m doing this?
From the limited research I’ve done I think I can only get replacement solenoids from warn, correct?
What box? Post pics. Does your winch look like the one above? Or does it have a pair of chrome bars running across the top?

Reactions: pagrey
That picture icon thingy would be helpful here. This thread is useless without pictures.

Edit: you don't need a Warn solenoid or contactor, the motors all work the same

Sorry. When you asked the OP if his winch had a “gray or black box on top or beside the drum”, I ASSumed you meant the cover plate for the solenoids and that you could tell the difference in the between the generation Of the winch by which color cover plate it had.
Anyway.
Here is the pic of mine. Any advice?

I can get a better picture of the data plates tomorrow if I need to. This was the only pic I had on my phone right now

It really could be anything. People selling stuff generally don't know the issue. You need to test the motor and the solenoids or contactor. If you don't have a voltmeter and skills it ain't going to be easy.

Have you connected it to a battery and tried it?
Check the cable for the remote. I one time bought a used winch off Facebook and after randomly doing stuff to it in the end it was just a pin was broken on the cable for the remote. I had taken the remote apart and noticed there were 4 wires in the cable but only counted 3 pins on the winch side. After closer examination I found the pin was ripped off.

Can you get the cover off to expose the solenoid yours looks well used...check all the cables first.

I haven’t hooked it up to a battery yet. The jeep came with a brand new badlands 12000 installed and this xd9000i was included.
I think I’ll try to find some test procedures and try to verify what’s wrong with the warn.
I don’t have the original remote. I think I’ve read that the harbor freight one will work. I’ll have to research that more.
Thanks

Most winches are pretty straightforward. If you can get the cover off and get a wiring diagram normally all you have to do is identify the spool in and out wires.
Then with the main wires connected to a battery apply 12v to either the in or out wire and see what happens.