Do you need two air compressors?

Iā€™ve got the ckma12 itā€™s half of the twin. It airs tires just fine. Give it time to cool once in a while if your worried about it.

I'd probably do a pair of the 1006 because they are cheap with the tank. Toss the tank and related tank bits and build a dual set up plumbed into a manifold or a tee.

If you compare the specs accurately, they are slightly better than the big ARB single.
They are frickin huge! I can't imagine a twin puma.

Reactions: Apparition
Alright seems like ARB mini is best for just lockersā€¦
Whatā€™s everyoneā€™s fav for tires? York? Twin ARB?

Alright seems like ARB mini is best for just lockersā€¦
Whatā€™s everyoneā€™s fav for tires? York? Twin ARB?
You wouldn't expect it, but I see more and more people - including many long-term wheelers who abide by the "buy once, cry once" mentality - recommending the Smittybilt portable.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004K25GMG/?tag=wranglerorg-20
The 2781 (not to be confused with the earlier 2780 model) has an impressive 5.65 cfm, which is only slightly lower than the 6.16 cfm of the ARB CKMTA12.

Reactions: kiwi
The 2781 (not to be confused with the earlier 2780 model) has an impressive 5.65 cfm, which is only slightly lower than the 6.16 cfm of the ARB CKMTA12.
That little single-cylinder compressor comes nowhere near 5.65 CFM in actual use. If you find their more detailed specs you'll discover that 5.65 CFM is measured into 0 psi resistance... open air in other words. Our lungs can put out that much CFM into open air. Into a tire's back pressure, typically measured at 10 psi, would be likely around 1/3 that much.

Smittybilt plays games with their specifications including using that misleading type of CFM spec (into 0 psi backpressure). It is physically small enough that I knew it couldn't put out 5.65 CFM so I started digging. It took me a while to find the actual spec on that but I kept digging until I found it since you can tell by just looking at its small single cylinder design that it couldn't possibly put out that much CFM at a proper 10 psi (or so) resistance pressure like a tire has in it. I forget by now what it put out into back pressure but it was more like 2 CFM.

Edit: I just found this image posted in an old thread I was in, it's a reply from Smittybilt in their Transamerica HQ location in Compton CA.

Smittybilt Compressor Specs.jpg

I'd suggest a belt driven york. You'll have endless air, high cfm, and with its oil sump you won't need to add an external oiler though a coalescing filter wouldn't be a bad idea.

I have a sanden (comparable to york), but it involves a bit more maintenance

I'd suggest a belt driven york. You'll have endless air, high cfm, and with its oil sump you won't need to add an external oiler though a coalescing filter wouldn't be a bad idea.
I loved my York in my previous TJ but when I priced York mounting brackets for my present '04 TJ ten years ago they were all at or close to $200. And they weren't easy to find either. That price was Just for the bracket. That's when I decided to put a CO2 tank together.

I have the stock pump for my front stock Dana 44 locker and a single ARB for airing up tires we have to fix on the trail. I trailer so no airing up and down. If I need more air I have a Viair RV kit in the truck toolbox. Will probably use the existing ARB for air lockers when I get the one tons built. Still have not decided to do ARB on both ends, or one auto one ARB.

Most of the off road park around here have a big compressor on site as well with an air station with multiple hoses.

I'm using the factory for lockers and have a now discontinued Warn PowerPlant but have yet to use it for airing up. When that pukes and I'm not able to find parts I'll have to reconsider adding a 2nd.
Any experience w/WPP?