Does control arm bushing composition affect ride quality or NVH?

How so, they sell like hotcakes.

The value and purpose of the preload is underappreciated. The inner sleeve of the DDB (and entire Metalcloak bushing) would be more robust if it had some preload to both seal the interface and also take up the slack from wear.

The value and purpose of the preload is underappreciated. The inner sleeve of the DDB (and entire Metalcloak bushing) would be more robust if it had some preload to both seal the interface and also take up the slack from wear.

So the preload is the key to a good flex joint?

Dang, where was this info a year ago. Here I'm still in the honeymoon stage and loving my DDBs. Now it looks like they are doomed for failure. How many miles are on those bushings?
Somewhere between 2 & 3k miles.
The 2nd gen may be more long lasting. As I recall, Dave was told there was bad batch of the 1st Gen bushing.

Ok, I cant resist! so are you hypothesizing that I can preload a Rusty's joint and it will be just like a JJ?

Does Rusty's not require a press to assemble and install the snap ring? If so, then "just like" in that it would address one of the shortcomings. This assumes the existing Rusty's joint can withstand the addition of preload.

Does Rusty's not require a press to assemble and install the snap ring? If so, then "just like" in that it would address one of the shortcomings. This assumes the existing Rusty's joint can withstand the addition of preload.
they use a spanner wrench and tighten them that way...

I don't argue the preload thing. It works, and works well. Servicing them is the thing that bugs me. Some say that servicing them correctly requires disassembly, cleaning, and re-assembly. The zerks are mostly useless from what I've gathered. The argument I guess, if we are to provide one, is at what interval do we need to service them? What special tooling do we need to do this efficiently? And, how often do we need to do this?

1588131818871.png

I don't argue the preload thing. It works, and works well. Servicing them is the thing that bugs me. Some say that servicing them correctly requires disassembly, cleaning, and re-assembly. The zerks are mostly useless from what I've gathered. The argument I guess, if we are to provide one, is at what interval do we need to service them? What special tooling do we need to do this efficiently? And, how often do we need to do this?
I pulled my JJ apart after 75k, cleaned regreased them, didn’t see any wear, and put them back together. I’m not sure what the interval is.

Not saying I am doing it the right way or best way, but mine have at least 30k quiet miles on them with only an occasional shot of grease through the zerk a couple times a year. I know others with far more miles with similar care.