Does control arm bushing composition affect ride quality or NVH?

Not saying I am doing it the right way or best way, but mine have at least 30k quiet miles on them with only an occasional shot of grease through the zerk a couple times a year. I know others with far more miles with similar care.

So you are assuming they are ok because they don't make any noise, and don't look distressed. How can you tell with all the nasty grease spooged all over?

So you are assuming they are ok because they don't make any noise, and don't look distressed. How can you tell with all the nasty grease spooged all over?
What should I be looking for? I've had the arms out or loose many times for adjustments and the joints feel snug. I'm familiar with two sets of MC arms where the wear and additional undesirable movement was quite evident from similar handling. Having been able compare the two first hand, I have a decent sense of which is the more robust design and why.

Anyone rob any JL joints yet and build a set of TJ control arms?

I'm getting this done for my build! Dave's mid arm design has a bend in the front lower arms (I think) for clearance and he said he likes the factory JL bushings a lot compared to any aftermarket. He uses them on one side, the other side is JJ.

This is a video Dave posted. The white stuff is a grease or some protective crap. They have more than enough flex per Dave and very good quality.

I too have wondered who makes them for Mopar.

Last edited:
Here is a JL bushing I used for xmember. They're fairly compliant feeling just by hand touch.

IMG_20200428_215959.jpg

Somewhere between 2 & 3k miles.
The 2nd gen may be more long lasting. As I recall, Dave was told there was bad batch of the 1st Gen bushing.
View attachment 156923

Ouch, I was hoping you racked up 20-30,000. That is pretty rough for only 3000 miles. Can you tell if the bushing deformed is is it worn out from the inside? The design of the new bushing with the support ring would seem to indicate the bushing was deforming. If it was a case of the Teflon wearing out and the bushing wallowing out the hole, the new design is worthless.

What do you think of the copy cat Rancho D2 bushings?

I have both Rancho and Synergy. They appear to be identical. So my guess is its not a copy cat. Same manufacturer.

Inside joke :)
I have to give them credit, after I cut off all their brackets off my axle, I did re-use part of one of their bumpstops. So its not ALL bad.

Ouch, I was hoping you racked up 20-30,000. That is pretty rough for only 3000 miles. Can you tell if the bushing deformed is is it worn out from the inside?...
As I said, I couldn't feel looseness while driving. Plus I couldn't see movement when someone else was accelerating and braking fore & aft. I imagine it could have been many more miles before the bushings gave feedback that something was wrong. Based on the effort required to demolish the bushing, I think it would never fail catastrophically.
With the bushing installed it appeared the ends were the loose spots. Once removed the entire bore expanded. There was no visible wear on the inner surface.

I guess I was trying to figure out if it was stretch out of place and deformed from flexing or if it was wearing out the bore from the inside.