Does it look normal with 33s?

Think it looks good RT. Got mine lifted 4” yesterday on 33’s and looks very similar to what you’re showing. I’m guessing springs will settle a bit. Vibrates a little with moderate acceleration but thinking that may go away with some break in?

Think it looks good RT. Got mine lifted 4” yesterday on 33’s and looks very similar to what you’re showing. I’m guessing springs will settle a bit. Vibrates a little with moderate acceleration but thinking that may go away with some break in?

Not likely. Is there a transfer case drop? 4" of suspension is beyond the capability of the stock drive shaft/slip yoke combo. You really need to look into a sye and dc shaft. That will also need adjustable control arms to set the pinion angle.

Reactions: jjvw
Not likely. Is there a transfer case drop? 4" of suspension is beyond the capability of the stock drive shaft/slip yoke combo. You really need to look into a sye and dc shaft. That will also need adjustable control arms to set the pinion angle.
Thank you Rob, 4WheelParts didn’t mention needing a DC shaft, sounds like they may have been feeding me a line as well. Said for light use wouldn’t need the SYE. How soon do you think till I run into problems? Don’t want to fall apart driving down the road tomorrow.

Thank you Rob, 4WheelParts didn’t mention needing a DC shaft, sounds like they may have been feeding me a line as well. Said for light use wouldn’t need the SYE. How soon do you think till I run into problems? Don’t want to fall apart driving down the road tomorrow.
Your U-Joints will be the first to fail. longevity will depend on how bad it is and at what speeds it happens. Do you have a t-case drop on?

... Said for light use wouldn’t need the SYE. ...

That is a nonsensical statement and irresponsible of them to say.

A u joint that is vibrating is in the process of prematurely wearing itself out. There is no way to sugar coat that. The further the joint is acting outside its recommended operating range, the faster it will cause a failure.

When a driveshaft fails, it becomes a steel club flailing around breaking things.

Temporarily, you can do a TCase drop. How much is TJ dependent, but I would guess >1” (~$10 in washers and longer bolts). Alternatively, you can do a 1” MML ($115 Brown Dog with rubber bushings). Best solution, SYE and DC and upp rear control arms and angled rear trackbar bracket ($1,000).

FWiW, RT used Rubicon Express which has the highest spring rate of any TJ springs that I'm aware of. I don't see how they would settle much.

I do have a transfer case drop. I agree that springs will not settle much. May just change the springs to 3 inch or so and call it a day. Trying to find out who sells tbe springs only. Did not have a chance to measure yesterday but will measure today.

I do have a transfer case drop. I agree that springs will not settle much. May just change the springs to 3 inch or so and call it a day. Trying to find out who sells tbe springs only. Did not have a chance to measure yesterday but will measure today.
MML would be an easier and less expensive route. Plus, you get more clearance at your oil pan

Motor mount?
Correct. A motor mount lift will tip the engine/transmission/transfer case assembly backwards and will help lessen the rear drive shaft angles.

While it also increases the front angles, the front drive shaft is both a double cardan style and is longer. The reason that is ok is exactly the opposite reason the rear shaft is so troublesome in a Wrangler.

Is it simple to install a mml? Would this eliminate the vibration?
The MML and body lift was one of the very first mods I did to the Jeep. Before that, I had not done too much in the way of vehicle work. But I'm pretty fearless about these types of things and very mechanically inclined. Yes, I thought it was easy to disconnect the engine from the frame and raise it an inch using a floor jack. It really isn't as bad as it sounds. :)

Will it eliminate the vibes? Maybe. Unlikely. But it will absolutely help. Sometimes addressing driveshaft vibrations is a multi-part process. A little here and a little there. Think of all of this like bending a stick. The more ways you can find to bend it less, the less likely it is to break. It helps if you can start seeing how all these parts interact as a whole.

Last edited:

The sye/dc shaft isn't installed for "heavy duty" use, it is installed so that you can improve angles after lifting.

Thanks all for the comments. I’m parking it for now. Don’t want things to start breaking and flying off. I’m traveling the next week but going to see if I can get ahold of the sales guy at 4WheelParts. I specifically asked if I’d need a SYE or double cardan driveshaft or anything else when we were building out the options and he told me “no.”

IMG_1752.JPG
I like the way your jeep looks, I was told my jeep has a 3 1/2" Rubicon super flex kit and I'm running Copper 33x12.5-15 and don't feel any urge to go up to 35's. I just returned from the sierras via highway 49 after upgrading from 32" tires and the 33's still felt good on the road in terms of gearing with the 42lre and road float, I've never run 35's so can't tell you anything there.

Reactions: Fonz54
I tend to agree with some of u. But I’m not used to higher lifts I’d lower to 2.5 inch. The higher lifts for me create more problems

Looks too high and unproportional.

Lol at the guys saying it will settle, it will but not to the point of going down to like a 2.5” lift..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 45175 I like the way your jeep looks, I was told my jeep has a 3 1/2" Rubicon super flex kit and I'm running Copper 33x12.5-15 and don't feel any urge to go up to 35's. I just returned from the sierras via highway 49 after upgrading from 32" tires and the 33's still felt good on the road in terms of gearing with the 42lre and road float, I've never run 35's so can't tell you anything there.
Hwy 49 sounds like a fun trip. I was just looking at it on the map yesterday and talking to my wife about it.