Dropping volts when running

So I recently installed a turbo on my 97 tj, I didn't know that alternator dont like heat, my exhaust down out of turbo ran super close to my alternator...reading up and learning they don't like heat I began to examine to find the black box on the field posts on alternator we a little bit melted, I cleaned the connections and alternator number 2 installed I'm still dropping volts,and my battery is good,can anyone please help me??? It's been a rollercoaster 2 years of building, fighting with my wife, building, fighting with my wife...so it's time to shut her up and get this bad b..... Out and enjoy my OVERKILL VS. of my dream TJ / all fun stuff I like added and show central IL the baddest TJ IN my area...only problem is she ain't sooo bad ass if I can't make it more than a mile down the road ahahaha thank you I need HELPPPPP mental and with the tj

Reactions: Wranglerfix
I don’t know anything about turbos on these engines, but I think you need to see a counselor.

Got any pics? Do you have a down pipe thats right next to the alternator? Is the turbo too close & smoking the wires?

Have you tried asking your wife how to fix it?

I do have some issues that could use counseling that's for damn sure...and my wife told me just how to fix it yes, she said sell the mofo!!! I told her I'll get rid of her before this jeep!!!! I dumped 25 grand in a 5 g Jeep...if I'm dumb enough to do that Im dumb enough to keep on keepin on...the turbo downpipe has been resolved and the turbo is far enough away to not do any more damage than I did I was just sheding a little light as to how dumb I truely am, and a little back sorry...it did melt the black plastic just a hair ...but not bad, I'd call it more of a distortion than melt ....I'll try to figure out how to put it pics on here, going back to the dumb part I'm not good with phones

KIMG0246.JPG
KIMG0009.JPG
KIMG0009.JPG
KIMG0010.JPG

Anyone know how much an ECU PCM WHATEVER ITS CALLED will run a feller?? And yes I have been none stop for 2 years between suspension , interior, motor ,it's been rough on a marriage my wife hates me

Reactions: Wranglerfix
The alternator is offing itself to get away from the mean grill.
“Grrrrrr, I’m mad.” -Your Jeep

Last edited:
Not going to lie to you I want to blow her up and get the stroker kit pushed over from the want to the need section...so YES I'll send her anywhere anytime, we get wild, or stupid as defined by most!!! But I'm not wheeling anywhere if I can't get the alternator to charge,I've tried everything I read and know it must be the volt reg in ECU...

I can tell you this...

When alternators start to go bad the longer they've been running (warm) the more voltage drops.

Perhaps yours was bad and the second/reman/new to you was already bad....

Working on all vehicles I can tell you new parts aren't always good out of the box.

Just food for thought.

Lol I laughed my ass off on the grill jokes!!! I get it my cj7 doesn't have it on it ok...my 7 yr old son this is " his build " I just got a lil carried away ,but he wanted the angry bird so I went with it

Reactions: qslim and ItchyDong
Not going to lie to you I want to blow her up and get the stroker kit pushed over from the want to the need section...so YES I'll send her anywhere anytime, we get wild, or stupid as defined by most!!! But I'm not wheeling anywhere if I can't get the alternator to charge,I've tried everything I read and know it must be the volt reg in ECU...
Have you tested your theory? Backprobe the field wire while it’s running.

My buddy said that , I'm on the 3rd alt this one is new , I'm just at Whit's end ...thought about doing the external volt reg just to see if that is the prob

Lol I laughed my ass off on the grill jokes!!! I get it my cj7 doesn't have it on it ok...my 7 yr old son this is " his build " I just got a lil carried away ,but he wanted the angry bird so I went with it
I’m debating putting on an under glow kit for the same reason ;) my son is going to wire it though.

I have 24 rgb rock light under her , Bluetooth apps and all hell even inside and my son thinks he the coolest dude ever riding around the campground with them on driving on my lap I don't care if he likes it I love it!!! My dad was a dick so my son grts whatever whenever

Reactions: ItchyDong