Electric Power Steering

Has anyone had any seat time in the JL or JT? The steerings feels amazing and smooth.

I've rented 3 or so. I don't remember it as much with the JLs but I noticed the JT seemed to require a lot of course correction when cruising down the highway like the return-to-center was weak or vague. Though that seems more like an alignment issue than an artifact of the steering power source.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
The JL and JT has electric hydro steering. EPHAS

Has anyone had any seat time in the JL or JT? The steerings feels amazing and smooth.

Separate from that, Aren't there some ultra4 guys and Baja guys running full electric steering?

The only issue I have, is at stop lights, resting your hand on the steering wheel you'll feel the power go off and on, sometimes when it comes on you'll turn the wheel a little. I have not had issues with the power steering when driving, and the ONLY issue I've had with my JT is the original steering box had play in it (was common for 2018 to 2020 Jeeps), which was replaced without any further issues.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
I've rented 3 or so. I don't remember it as much with the JLs but I noticed the JT seemed to require a lot of course correction when cruising down the highway like the return-to-center was weak or vague. Though that seems more like an alignment issue than an artifact of the steering power source.

If that was a '20, it was the actual box... something about an internal bushing not machined properly. Once the steering box is replaced, the wander goes away.

If that was a '20, it was the actual box... something about an internal bushing not machined properly. Once the steering box is replaced, the wander goes away.

it was in mid 2020 and only had about 1500 miles on it IIRC so it probably was a 2020. Good to know.

That made it REALLY hard to eat enchiladas with a knife and fork while driving through Tulsa. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: Artsifrtsi
my 2016 f-150 has electric power steering and it’s very smooth while driving. extremely sensitive to input while backing a trailer compared to a couple of older f-150’s with conventional power steering. ford mechanic said the electric power steering is no fun if engine dies and you need to turn.

my 2016 f-150 has electric power steering and it’s very smooth while driving. extremely sensitive to input while backing a trailer compared to a couple of older f-150’s with conventional power steering. ford mechanic said the electric power steering is no fun if engine dies and you need to turn.

You get a full upper body workout trying to maneuver those trucks without power.

Reactions: txbemis69
I looked into electrical steering from these folks for my 54 Chevy. Though never for my Jeep.
20220901_123248.jpg

Does anyone really think one of those little electric steering motors would be strong enough to turn big Jeep size tires when offroad and the Jeep is in a tough situation that often makes for often difficult steering?

Does anyone really think one of those little electric steering motors would be strong enough to turn big Jeep size tires when offroad and the Jeep is in a tough situation that often makes for often difficult steering?

the newer f-150 raptor has electric power steering and larger off-road tires. not sure how it is out on a trail.

F-150 trucks don't see the type of trails I was thinking about when I mentioned how tough the steering can get on them.

watched a video of a stock looking raptor off-road racing a few years ago and that truck was getting pounded. still wonder about slow speed crawling and the electric steering. we both know a full size truck really can’t go where a built tj can. would be fun to watch though.

Broncos are coming with electric power steering and I have no doubt that some of those are going to run into the same steering loads TJs end up with.

Those specific kits might be questionable, but it's also applying that assist directly to the column, taking advantage of the gear reduction within the steering gear itself.

I admit I've been tempted to figure out how viable it'd be to use one of those electric column assists in conjunction with the existing hydraulic power steering.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
Broncos are coming with electric power steering and I have no doubt that some of those are going to run into the same steering loads TJs end up with.

Those broncos that are finding themselves in the same situations are also finding out that the rod ends on their steering racks fail dramatically...