Engine swap ideas

Yes but a lot of times they aren't complete or are a rust bucket... I saw one for $800 a few weeks ago. But they are rare. How many FREE or under $1K LS & tranny deals do you see?

Right.

I don’t know anything about engines, haven’t reached that stage of the build yet.

Question is…. Why are you searching for LSs?

🤓

Right.

I don’t know anything about engines, haven’t reached that stage of the build yet.

Question is…. Why are you searching for LSs?

🤓

I'm NOT. When you look at FB Marketplace all engines come up....

I'm just going to save this for posterities sake...

Paging @Apparition

So you are trying to practice to be a politician? Or a lib reporter? Misquoting someone... Just to make it clear I did list the HEMI first which would be the smarter choice.

So for you if you want a V-8 you need a Hemi or a LS and neither of them can be done for $5K. You need to budget more like $12-15K for a engine swap.

As an Aussie I would say a Barra Turbo

Welcome!! 4.0L Barra is a inline 6 cylinder isn't it?
Tom Hanks Hello GIF

You've probably heard it called the Vortec 4200. Lots of (maybe all) mid 2000s trailblazers had them.

I like the V-4200. Would likely fit nicely in a TJ. Cross-flow head, intake on the driver's side, exhaust on the passenger side. A touch lighter than the 4.0. 290hp/280 ft-lbs. 16 valves. You could easily supercharge or turbocharge it. Will likely mate up to a wide variety of transmissions.

Reactions: ColoJeep and BlueC
I’ve been seriously interested in the L3B turbo max engine, feel like it would be amazing in a Jeep. 310hp and 430ft/lbs of torque sounds aweome! Also a small package so I’d figure it would be easy to fit in and work around.

Pullouts from wrecked trucks are pretty reasonably priced as well!

Reactions: RINC and glowell222
Would love to do a small Kubota diesel engine swap. For now going down that rabbit hole on youtube is sustaining me.

I love my Kubotas, but there is no way I’d swap a NA diesel into a road going vehicle. I haven't gone into the Kubota swap hole yet. I can't see people pulling big turbo 4 cylinders out of M series tractors, so what engines are people using?

Would love to do a small Kubota diesel engine swap. For now going down that rabbit hole on youtube is sustaining me.

I love my Kubotas, but there is no way I’d swap a NA diesel into a road going vehicle. I haven't gone into the Kubota swap hole yet. I can't see people pulling big turbo 4 cylinders out of M series tractors, so what engines are people using?

Actually I ran a Kubota V2403 with a K03 turbo in my TJ for a while before the laws where I was living were looking like they were going to change on me so I swapped to a TDI.

I now live in NC and I've debating going back to the Kubota. It's not refined, it only revs to about 3000rpm and you REALLY need a manual, either 5-speed AX-15 or even better the NSG370 would be GREAT with that engine. The pros to it is it's SIMPLE. Easy to plumb cooling for it, easy to get it running, only 5 wires and two of those are the positive and negative cables. Then there is the torque. The Kubota is a long stroke diesel. At 900rpm you are looking at 105ft/lbs of torque. Does it sound like a tractor? Yes, but it will climb ANYTHING at idle. The fuel economy was great, even when I was running the wrong transmission, I was getting like 28mpg with all my driving either being in town below 45mph or I was wheeling it on my property I was at.

I still have the complete Kubota V2403 setup that I will be selling after the holidays. Engine, adapter, turbo, motor mounts, serpentine setup, and Hydroboost system designed for a TJ as well which worked GREAT with the Kubota. Maybe if it doesn't sell I'' swap it into a CJ7 from the 80s but I have enough projects already :ROFLMAO:.

-Grant

We have a M 4900 5 banger NA diesel at work , No way that should be swapped into anything but another tractor.

• Sad
Reactions: RINC and BlueC
Actually I ran a Kubota V2403 with a K03 turbo in my TJ for a while

I looked up the specs on that one. 59hp/122lb-ft turbo 4-cylinder. What are these engines typically pulled out of?

We have a M 4900 5 banger NA diesel at work , No way that should be swapped into anything but another tractor.

NA diesels really leave a lot to be desired. I've used a lot of NA diesel tractors over the years. They work, they work hard, but they're always just lacking that extra little bit when you need it.

Reactions: ColoJeep
I looked up the specs on that one. 59hp/122lb-ft turbo 4-cylinder. What are these engines typically pulled out of?

NA diesels really leave a lot to be desired. I've used a lot of NA diesel tractors over the years. They work, they work hard, but they're always just lacking that extra little bit when you need it.

Try working one at 9250' elevation , it will redefine your definition of " Rolling Coal " :eek:

• Love
Reactions: RINC
Try working one at 9250' elevation , it will redefine your definition of " Rolling Coal " :eek:

Yeah I've wondered about the tractors working at elevation. I was reading in one of my Kubota service books a while back and came across a fuel setting recommendations for low and high elevations. I live at just over 700ft, so nothing for elevation, but guys like yourself living at 5000ft + have to feel it. A good turbo could at least correct for that.

Reactions: ColoJeep