Fan clutch or coolant flush first?

If you're going to do a flush pull the radiator and do the fan clutch...it'll make that job easier...and make flushing the block easier. And you wouldn't be the first person to wing a radiator and knock a hole in one while sneaking in a fan clutch. And those fins are brutal on knuckles.

If it's bad, bad you can pull the water pump and thermostat housing for more access and some deep cleaning.

-Mac

History is spotty, I picked it up last October with ~32k on the clock after it was mostly parked during the PO’s divorce. I did the typical fluid changes when I got it last year + replaced the rad cap with a new stant after the coolant was changed. Attached is what the coolant looked like before it was changed last year. Everything I’ve worked on has been original, so I’m assuming the water pump is as well.

Thermocure is in order for this weekend.

View attachment 365026

That's not coolant, that's a pumpkin spice latte smoothie.

Reactions: Irun
took mine to the shop an had them look at the ac,,,told them it's not as cold.they came out and said change ur fan clutch ur ac will be colder,,,,,
DUH,told them my rubi isn't overheating.they said it will someday, so I changed it an walla the ac is colder an temp is exact 210.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
What I drained out…I can see crud/rust between the fins. So far I’m getting better temps with just Thermocure and water.

BBC0CC41-D1B4-4BF6-AF74-62C6A4EBBF39.jpeg

6380E1F9-9827-4B9B-AB2E-709B138A66BB.jpeg

How it started and how it’s going. Should I expect it any clearer?
View attachment 366011

On the right is good, how many flushes to get there?

I'd put in the thermostat the way it should, a Mopar etc with the bleed hole drilled into it. A touch of grease on the lip will help it hold in place and get the clean surface or new cover that goes over it. Then fill with 50/50 HOAT like Zerex 5 and Distilled water.

Let it run and look for the thermostat opening up etc. I usually run it on my driveway that has a slight incline, and when it goes down, add a touch more until it steadies, then put the radiator cap on. Fill the overflow and done.

I ended up with two bottles of Themocure so I put one in on Saturday, run for about an hour ish, then drained and flushed with the hose on Sunday it was pitch black. What’s coming out now is from the second bottle and and ~3hrs of runtime since Sunday. I think I’m on flush 4, not including the time I just let the hose run down the radiator. I’ve been using old 5gal water cooler jugs…way easier than milk containers.

I ended up with two bottles of Themocure so I put one in on Saturday, run for about an hour ish, then drained and flushed with the hose on Sunday it was pitch black. What’s coming out now is from the second bottle and and ~3hrs of runtime since Sunday. I think I’m on flush 4, not including the time I just let the hose run down the radiator. I’ve been using old 5gal water cooler jugs…way easier than milk containers.

Here in the Austin, Texas area, so much calcium and other minerals, I don't wash mine with anything but distilled. It's a pain to a degree, but I just try to keep anything out. But it looks good you should be good to go.

Here in the Austin, Texas area, so much calcium and other minerals, I don't wash mine with anything but distilled. It's a pain to a degree, but I just try to keep anything out. But it looks good you should be good to go.

the first two times I ran the hose the help get some of the extra crud out, the rest have been distilled

Reactions: cpwolf
After refilling and a 30min drive + Idling for 15 with the AC, temps now max at 220 which is down from ~236 but still higher then it should be..Il check coolant level in the radiator after it cools down, any other suggestions.

Pressure test. Should hold at 16PSI for 20-30 minutes. While you wait, go around with a good light and look for leaks.

Reactions: red02tj
Pressure test. Should hold at 16PSI for 20-30 minutes. While you wait, go around with a good light and look for leaks.

I put in a new stant radiator cap last year, whats the likelihood it went bad? I’ll rent a pressure tester tomorrow.

I replaced the water pump in my 97 4.0. The rear bearing was going bad and finally leaked coolant. It would always run hot (210+) with the a/c on regardless of operating conditions in the S. Fl summers. The new Gates pump and HD fan clutch scrubbed at least 20 degrees. A little play in the shaft must have a huge impact on coolant flow. Water pumps are cheap.