Free, cheap, & low cost mods for your Jeep Wrangler TJ

hey Chris , I found the under hood thread , but i dont know how to link it. its by member - ScottB "Upgrading the underhood light" i think the cord can even reach to the back of the Jeep. Could ya help to link that please sir.

Cheap switch panel.
Grab a chunk of scrap sheet metal, bend it into a box shape. About 1.5-2" deep and about 3" tall (scrap rectangular tube will probably work as well. But I perfer the sheet metal as you can angle the top face towards you)

Drill holes in the top for the toggle switches

Pull the defrost grill off the dash and you will see 2 screws that hold the back of the dash center on. Measure the location of those 2 screws and drill matching holes in the bottom of the switch panel.

Make a nice clean wireing harness from the switches with spade connector, if they are all going to trigger relays you can tie all the feed sides into one wire with short jumpers between the switches. Wires can run down into the dash beside the defrost vent.

Paint it if you want and use the 2 dash screws to secure it. Depending on the size you made it and the tools you have access to holes may need to be drilled in the top as well to access the dash screws.

If you want to get really fancy you could put small ubolts between the switches like a ww2 bomber.

Cost: scrap metal you may have around.
Wireing and terminal ends you probably have around.
Switches (about $5 bucks each up here for ones with lights on the tip)

Did this setup as a temporary way to mount my switches... 6 years ago.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Reactions: JMT
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Add some spare MOLLE bags with spare spiderweb shade ball thingies:
057cb9fca331719051dc456a8ae39d46.jpg

Fun with paracord:
c153a336e6550a37641fd4f3751b20f3.jpg

b926aaf6bf5d3e9e0cda327ad179de60.jpg

Phone mount from an old garage bracket and a scotchie magnet mount:
b7d5a4e2d638c9a043f58286faf72464.jpg

Throttle return spring. Springs came in a pack from Autozone, Dorman throttle springs, enough for my Jeep and a few friends:
87d4d874bcb19045122fe58fe8044217.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Add some spare MOLLE bags with spare spiderweb shade ball thingies:
View attachment 32906

Fun with paracord:
View attachment 32907
View attachment 32908

Phone mount from an old garage bracket and a scotchie magnet mount:
View attachment 32909

Throttle return spring. Springs came in a pack from Autozone, Dorman throttle springs, enough for my Jeep and a few friends:
View attachment 32910

Does the cruise control still play nice?

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

What does adding that spring do?

Before the extra throttle spring my gas pedal was extremely touchy. Hit one little bump off-road and i felt like I was always giving it too much pedal. Extra spring stiffened it up like my accelerator pedal on my 04.

Reactions: Chris
Before the extra throttle spring my gas pedal was extremely touchy. Hit one little bump off-road and i felt like I was always giving it too much pedal. Extra spring stiffened it up like my accelerator pedal on my 04.

Yes I have the same feeling on my throttle. What we call ‘Stiction’ in aviation; friction then release, then a little too much gas. I’ll find a correct spring..

Yes I have the same feeling on my throttle. What we call ‘Stiction’ in aviation; friction then release, then a little too much gas. I’ll find a correct spring..

Perfect way to describe it! Spring kit I bought had a few different weight springs so I was able to experiment some till I could find what I liked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: JMT