GMRS or HAM radio?

Once you decide what bands you want to use, lol! They are old enough that they are likely unlocked to the common frequencies, and may need some firmware updates. PM me if you want some help with them. I've gone pretty much full retard with the radio hobby as it is used in offroading.

Thanks, I bought a book on how to operate them and stuff but have no CLUE where it is right now.

Back before my amputation I couldn't sleep so I spent too much time online and stuff and bought all kinds of stuff I have no clue where it's at now.

Yea, it's Facebook but Facebook is just the portal. No socializing, no bullshit, no conversations, no commentary, no criticism, just recovery requests and recovery coordination and it's heavily moderated to keep it that way. Members will drag their ass out of bed or leave work and spend their hard earned money to extract any stranger who asks for help as long as the "victim" has the legal right to be where they are stuck and a tow truck won't respond because it's an off-road location. It's better than what you are wishing for.
I am not on Facebook so I’m not sure how all that works. It sounds like a great way to help providing you have access to Facebook when you need them.

I have a overland setup F150, I went rounds with my sound installer about the need for a real GPS, he kept saying that maps on my phone was all I needed. He could not comprehend not having a cell signal.

I am not on Facebook so I’m not sure how all that works. It sounds like a great way to help providing you have access to Facebook when you need them.

I have a overland setup F150, I went rounds with my sound installer about the need for a real GPS, he kept saying that maps on my phone was all I needed. He could not comprehend not having a cell signal.
Its extraordinarily unfortunate and short sighted that 1) You need Internet access to contact these guys, and 2) They're hiding in the "walled garden/cesspool" that is facebook. Even most smartphone fanatics know that won't work very well. Why don't they have their own damn website and a phone number? The latter can be used even if you have to use a radio and tell someone what the number is - the former also as not everyone on the other end of the radio is going to be on facesuck - assuming they have Internet access at that particular moment.

Its extraordinarily unfortunate and short sighted that 1) You need Internet access to contact these guys, and 2) They're hiding in the "walled garden/cesspool" that is facebook. Even most smartphone fanatics know that won't work very well. Why don't they have their own damn website and a phone number? The latter can be used even if you have to use a radio and tell someone what the number is - the former also as not everyone on the other end of the radio is going to be on facesuck - assuming they have Internet access at that particular moment.
A business not matter what they tell you is about making money. That means following the trends and keeping up with technology and so on.
Unfortunately a business is not going to care that one person does not like Facebook. If they can reach the majority of there customer/employee base via that and it is easy and FREE most people will always choose the easy path.

When I was a youth group leader it was so freaking difficult trying to contact all the kids and parents and in the end because almost all of them had Facebook that is what I used to send out messages and information about the meetings. Rather then sending out texts, emails, phone calls, used one platform and done.

It's sad as I agree I wish I could throw away my smart phone. But I just don't see it happening. Less and Less people have computers because they do everything on there phone.

Reactions: Wildman
Definitely not a model to follow. I have not been active in the amateur bands for many years (like '99). We had RACES back then and other local repeater groups that were very effective at dispatching a recovery or rescue. Our system had "phone patch" that worked great. We could make calls and had codes to link up/down repeaters. When all links were up, we could reach from Oakland to Phoenix all on 70cm. Very effective and fun to assist others from the "shack" but way more useful in the field.

My new Yaesus have three digital modes, luckily still have analog (1 mode??).

I do like the APRS feature. Pretty cool to see your little icon moving around the screen.

PS, I like fakebook over facesuck. IMHO

Last edited:
Reactions: Zorba
Thank you for taking time out of your very busy day to lodge a complaint about a group that doesn't serve your state with people who aren't responsible for the service.
I here the sarcasm. keep in mind we are here sharing opinions regardless of how we believe.

Zorba probably does not need a defense team, but I get butthurt real easy.

Thank you for taking time out of your very busy day to lodge a complaint about a group that doesn't serve your state with people who aren't responsible for the service.
Just pointing out how they limit their access, however unintentionally. Not a complaint, just an observation. "Just the facts, Ma'am."

A business not matter what they tell you is about making money. That means following the trends and keeping up with technology and so on.
Unfortunately a business is not going to care that one person does not like Facebook. If they can reach the majority of there customer/employee base via that and it is easy and FREE most people will always choose the easy path.

When I was a youth group leader it was so freaking difficult trying to contact all the kids and parents and in the end because almost all of them had Facebook that is what I used to send out messages and information about the meetings. Rather then sending out texts, emails, phone calls, used one platform and done.

It's sad as I agree I wish I could throw away my smart phone. But I just don't see it happening. Less and Less people have computers because they do everything on there phone.
And people are leaving facesuck in droves for a variety of reasons - and many others have never been there in the first place as we know better. I have no problem with them being on the site if they choose - they just need to understand that they're limiting their audience if that is the ONLY way to contact them. A "professional" outfit would at least have a website and a phone number. It's not the best to rely on a high loss digital comms mode in the middle of nowhere - I should be able to either place a phone call directly (still digital, but "sometimes" better), or radio someone who can. There are plenty of dead spaces in the cell network even now - even in some more "civilized" areas.

I won't get into why smartphones suck - everybody here knows my opinions. However, I'm always floored by the increasingly common mode of thought that one is essential to access the Internet. Yet here I am on an Internet forum without a smartphone - how can that be? </sarcasm>

Reactions: DrDmoney
Near 100% sure your radios are expanded.

I bought a pair a month ago and they were expanded.

How do I find out?

PS, I like fakebook over facesuck. IMHO

The only reason I joined Facebook in 2015 was because a lot of the companies I was looking to see their new parts had switched to Facebook.

Now it's instagram and I refuse to join it. Same with TicToc and any other new platform. The only reason I stay on Facebook now is so I can see my grandsons who are in FL.

Now it's instagram and I refuse to join it. Same with TicToc and any other new platform. The only reason I stay on Facebook now is so I can see my grandsons who are in FL.
What I don't understand is what difference it makes? Join so you can see your grandsons stupid funny videos and let it be at that. It connects you to those that feel the need to express themselves that way and asks nothing in return. All you are is missing out on the life events of all the other people that use that as a way to communicate. You're missing the kids videos, their lives, because you don't take two seconds to log on when they mention they posted a whatever on whatever social media platform. Kids don't care that you don't get it, you're just missing out.

How do I find out?

The only reason I joined Facebook in 2015 was because a lot of the companies I was looking to see their new parts had switched to Facebook.

With the radio on, push the v/m button until just numbers show, key in 467.500 and push the ptt/mic. If it transmits, your golden.

Reactions: Wildman
What I don't understand is what difference it makes? Join so you can see your grandsons stupid funny videos and let it be at that. It connects you to those that feel the need to express themselves that way and asks nothing in return. All you are is missing out on the life events of all the other people that use that as a way to communicate. You're missing the kids videos, their lives, because you don't take two seconds to log on when they mention they posted a whatever on whatever social media platform. Kids don't care that you don't get it, you're just missing out.
You are wrong about them not asking anything in return. They level of tracking is unbelievable.

Reactions: rasband and Zorba
You are wrong about them not asking anything in return. They level of tracking is unbelievable.
And yet, that is the LEAST of the problems with that site and others like it. People want to limit themselves to a "walled garden/cesspool", that's not communications, its laziness. You want to communicate with me, send me an email - its REAL easy to setup an email list so your cat video goes to everyone interested, no membership in any 3rd party "service" needed.

When I want to communicate with a company, I expect to do so via their website, NOT facefuck or really ANY 3rd party site - good, bad, or indifferent. Companies spend thousands of dollars setting up beautiful websites, then proceed to ignore them. Some of them are even Fortune 500 corporations - yet many of them will respond on a 3rd party site. Makes zero sense and makes their online presence look completely amateurish, unprofessional, and not important to them. *shrug*

Well I guess I'm lucky that I have an understanding son then. He knows I don't like nor want to clog up my life with more social media junk so he makes sure to post things on FB for me to see. Yep I might be missing some things but that is also part of not living near them.

Guess what? Before FB and the internet we wrote letters and sent pictures.