GMRS Radio

Here’s a question, and I think I know the answer, but will ask anyway just for the sake of asking.

What if a CB antenna and GMRS antenna were mounted next to each other on the same mount? And the antenna ran along roughly the same route?

Would the proximity of the two antennas cause problems with each other compared to if they were mounted and ran in different areas?

I want to say you don’t want them next to each other, but don’t know. I know I’ve seen pictures of multiple antennas next to each other, but I don’t know what kind they are.

I asked something similar, and from a pragmatic perspective it will change the SWR. However I’m unclear whether or not it’s to an unacceptable degree or a purist degree trying to find the optimal placement on a vehicle.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Another question, does anyone have the MXT-275? If I understand the description correctly, the speaker is built into the mike. Is it clear and have good sound?

Im considering that one as well as the MXT-115.

I asked something similar, and from a pragmatic perspective it will change the SWR. However I’m unclear whether or not it’s to an unacceptable degree or a purist degree trying to find the optimal placement on a vehicle.
Depends.....
Since we’re talking 27mhz and 460mhz the CB antenna will always be a reflector of the GMRS. The GMRS is too small and too close to the CB to effect it’s signal.

Read up on yagi antenna design. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yagi–Uda_antenna

Operating frequency and output power are the variables.

I mounted my new MXT275 on the divers side and then needed a place for the mic to plug into. Since I didn't really need 2 cigarette lighter connectors I removed one and installed a plug for the GMRS Mic

IMG_8115.jpg

IMG_8113.jpg

IMG_8228.jpg

IMG_8229.jpg

IMG_8231.jpg

IMG_8230.jpg

Here’s a question, and I think I know the answer, but will ask anyway just for the sake of asking.

What if a CB antenna and GMRS antenna were mounted next to each other on the same mount? And the antenna ran along roughly the same route?

Would the proximity of the two antennas cause problems with each other compared to if they were mounted and ran in different areas?

I want to say you don’t want them next to each other, but don’t know. I know I’ve seen pictures of multiple antennas next to each other, but I don’t know what kind they are.
@DylanM345 .

Another question, does anyone have the MXT-275? If I understand the description correctly, the speaker is built into the mike. Is it clear and have good sound?

Im considering that one as well as the MXT-115.
It actually has a speaker in the mic and the head unit. You can select which speaker you want, or select both speakers.

The antennas will cause problems, I learned this the hard way. I had my GMRS and CB radio mounted on the same mount, screwed up both SWRs extremely. Im going to buy a mount for the opposite tailight. That should be a decent amount of space so they wont interfere

I mounted my new MXT275 on the divers side and then needed a place for the mic to plug into. Since I didn't really need 2 cigarette lighter connectors I removed one and installed a plug for the GMRS Mic

View attachment 244464

View attachment 244465

View attachment 244466

View attachment 244467

View attachment 244468

View attachment 244469

That's a pretty slick set up. Thanks for sharing.

Did you screw the mounting bracket down there under the dash? If so, I'm guessing that area has some space behind it and you don't have screws sticking out of the side of your Jeep. :oops:

That's a great idea for the mic plug.

The antennas will cause problems, I learned this the hard way. I had my GMRS and CB radio mounted on the same mount, screwed up both SWRs extremely. Im going to buy a mount for the opposite tailight. That should be a decent amount of space so they wont interfere

Good to know. Thank you for the info. I have a tail light mount on the passengers that isn't being used, so I could possibly make that work.

Reactions: D M
For those interested on GMRS equipment and good info;

https://www.buytwowayradios.com/
GMRS equipment its as its interest peak, prices have been double up in the past months.

Trending brands

Wouxun

Nagoya (look for the G at the end of the part number, means is tuned for GMRS band)

Power; 15 watts where 85% runs on handheld limited to 5-8 watts is King.

The issue its that the GMRS antennas need ground plane, this small bases does not provide such a good ground plane so the CB antenna mounted besides becomes the ground plane but vertically affecting both antennas. Separating the antennas yield good results, perhaps GMRS optimal will be in the roof but TJ’s... thats why the stubby from Midland mounted on the hood is a great option when paired with a good radio.

Power; 15 watts where 85% runs on handheld limited to 5-8 watts is King.
Power is not king.
People can bounce a signal off of the moon with 5w. A high elevation repeater over the average terrain is king. To get the best signal out you need a high gain antenna mounted on top of the vehicle.
Handhelds are limited in power BY LAW. The energy transmited by a radio is the same as a microwave oven but at a lower frequency. Do you want 40w of energy 2” from your brain?

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
That's a pretty slick set up. Thanks for sharing.

Did you screw the mounting bracket down there under the dash? If so, I'm guessing that area has some space behind it and you don't have screws sticking out of the side of your Jeep. :oops:

That's a great idea for the mic plug.
Yes I did its double walled in that area, so no screws sticking out the other side

It actually has a speaker in the mic and the head unit. You can select which speaker you want, or select both speakers.
I run the 275 as well. It also supports an external speaker, which I mounted right above the rear view. You can also select the external speaker and the mic speaker - which works very well. This feature was not in the manual - I had to call Midland to figure that one out. The 275 is much louder than my CB using the same external speaker.

I took a trunk lip mount apart and replaced one of the windshield frame screws.

View attachment 244657

I like that spot, but I have a mount with spot lights there. I've thought about the mount that Midland calls a "ditch light mount" and sticking it out to the side.

Reactions: Dino - KX6D