GMRS Radio

If you don't buy a license and use the radio what is going to happen to you? How is it even enforced?
Catching you is easy IF they want to. Catching you usually starts with a slap on the wrist and the threat of a $10,000.00 fine and/or jail.

The chances of getting caught is almost zero. Your integrity is the only real thing that will take a hit by not being licensed. If you run low power and are not a dirt bag I doubt anyone will ever know or care. The repeater owners may push the issue so stay off the repeaters. Did you speed today? Same thing.

Number of people actively chatting on HAM frequencies I'd engage with, 0...

One of the groups I wheel with uses ham channels, most of the others use GMRS. The ham group, a few are licensed (including me).

The GMRS group, pretty sure none are licensed. If you ask if they're licensed, you will get some BS about how it's not illegal if you talk on certain channels. They have baofeng radios that can do ham too. If you try to switch to a ham channel, they will tell you it's illegal. It's pretty stupid.

I cannot understand what having a license does. And who gives you a ticket? I believe in freedom of speech.

You can also drive a car without a license. There was a story a few months ago about a guy in his 70's who got pulled over. He had been driving since he was a teenager (before legal age).

As long as you don't start harassing people on repeaters and get reported, chances are nothing will happen to you. If you're using it on the trails, it's not like some geek will be hiding behind a rock waiting to give you a ticket.

Though for $35 it's good for 10 years. No test to take like the ham license, and it covers your whole family.

FCC be like...
FCC.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: suicideking
Reactions: K_Dom
I have that radio as well. Does what it's supposed to. The C charge port is a nice feature. I'm not a fan of charging craddles.

Reactions: K_Dom