GMRS Radio

my favorite comms youtuber, notarubicon, recently hinted that midland will soon introduce new gmrs radio(s?). anyone here know if midland finally will have radios to compete with wouxun?

calvin
wrkp552
They "should" be coming out with an MXT-500 and an MXT575. Not sure when though

my favorite comms youtuber, notarubicon, recently hinted that midland will soon introduce new gmrs radio(s?). anyone here know if midland finally will have radios to compete with wouxun?

calvin
wrkp552
Answer? No.
Midland does a good job of producing a solid entry level radio. If you are looking to simply communicate with your fellow jeepers on runs, then Midland is a good choice that doesn't add a bunch of GMRS mumbo jumbo to the mix. Adding a higher power radio won't help you much if you aren't transmitting further than a local caravan run. If you get into the hobby and want to explore repeaters and such, then Midland will run short on features really quick.

Answer? No.
Midland does a good job of producing a solid entry level radio. If you are looking to simply communicate with your fellow jeepers on runs, then Midland is a good choice that doesn't add a bunch of GMRS mumbo jumbo to the mix. Adding a higher power radio won't help you much if you aren't transmitting further than a local caravan run. If you get into the hobby and want to explore repeaters and such, then Midland will run short on features really quick.
Aww man… Well, I guess my Midland matches all the other entry level stuff on my rig.

I just have a 5 watt Midland in my Jeep - should be fine for trail use.

In other news, I just found out that as of 10/28/21 ("Oxi day" if you're Greek), FM will be legal on CB radios per a petition by Cobra to the FCC. It'll be interesting to see how soon - and how much - dual mode AM/FM CB radios appear.

It'll be interesting to see how soon - and how much - dual mode AM/FM CB radios appear.
I think those frequencies are available in places like Germany so you can already buy the radios. Obviously it'll take awhile for them to switch the sticker from DE to US but I wouldn't expect it to take long.

Reactions: D M
I'm looking at getting the MX-275 for my setup, and understand it's capable of communicating with FRS handhelds as well. I'm hoping to pick up some handhelds to give to the kiddos when we're out at our property or another Jeep with me. Would I need to A) purchase a license for this use case 2) use callsigns for the same use case?

The local club uses mostly CBs, so I'm looking to install one of those as well. Would a taillight mount for the CB antenna and a high center spare tire mount for the GMRS antenna give enough separation?

I'm looking at getting the MX-275 for my setup, and understand it's capable of communicating with FRS handhelds as well. I'm hoping to pick up some handhelds to give to the kiddos when we're out at our property or another Jeep with me. Would I need to A) purchase a license for this use case 2) use callsigns for the same use case?

The local club uses mostly CBs, so I'm looking to install one of those as well. Would a taillight mount for the CB antenna and a high center spare tire mount for the GMRS antenna give enough separation?
You should be fine with that, however if you still have issues and/or are worried then you can mount them on opposite tail lights. Thats what I did and all I know is that it works👍

Reactions: 72afr

Your kids don't need a licence to use FRS radios. You kinda do because you're not supposed to have a detachable antenna even if you use low power. You would have to identify with a callsign. If your kids used a GMRS radio they could also use the family callsign so you'd both be identifying with the same call. If you are using FRS radios on your own property even with a high power GMRS radio as the base station I can't imagine you using a callsign or paying for one but everybody's gotta do their thing.

Reactions: D M and 72afr
Your kids don't need a licence to use FRS radios. You kinda do because you're not supposed to have a detachable antenna even if you use low power. You would have to identify with a callsign. If your kids used a GMRS radio they could also use the family callsign so you'd both be identifying with the same call. If you are using FRS radios on your own property even with a high power GMRS radio as the base station I can't imagine you using a callsign or paying for one but everybody's gotta do their thing.
That was my take as well. Thanks!

Reactions: pagrey
That was my take as well. Thanks!
If you get any Midland radio option, it won't let you communicate on FRS channels 8-14, as those frequencies are set at 0.5 watts. The radio can't transmit that low of wattage, so Midland just eliminates those channels choices for you.

Reactions: D M
You can still buy the radio and listen. Go on a few runs and see who actually uses their call sign like they are supposed to. If nobody is following the rules why pay some fee based on the rules? Pay for the licence when they drop the price if you feel like it, I wont tell if you don't.

Yup, I've been using my radio. For $35 I'm a law abiding citizen. For $70, I am a criminal living on the edge. 😎

calvin
wrkp552

I used to go wheeling with him, been in a few of his earlier videos.

He still organizes easy runs now and then (one coming up in a couple weeks).

I understand! I've pushed back against GMRS for a long time and frankly didn't have a use for it...until TJ Fest. Now I get it and I will be pulling the CB out of the Jeep. I have loaner handhelds to lend out and I'll be encouraging my friends to get it. My ham radio friends will just use converted dual band radios. The antenna of choice if you do have a ham radio license is the Comet CA-2x4SRNMO because it covers the ham radio bands, the VHF race frequencies, and the FRS/GMRS bands all in one antenna. I've been running this antenna for years at KOH, but just started using it for GMRS.

Just re-reading this thread again. Will this Comet antenna also work on 1.25M?