GMRS Radio

I used my MXT275 GRMS for the first time in Moab, and I have to say that all the hype about GRMS on the forum prior to the trip was well warranted. I found it to be a huge improvement over CB. Very clear, no static at all, no traffic when using the privacy code, and no issues with range. It just flat out worked well. Very happy I pulled the trigger (Even after all @Chris’s prodding and bullying... :)).
Agreed, although haven't figured out the privacy codes yet on my mounted radio.

In preparation for my upcoming Moab trip I picked up a Midland MXT115 radio - geez, this thing is small! I'm going to mount it in the same place as my CB formerly sat, on my homemade ARR-style sport bar mount. That's the easy part. What's a bit more difficult is finding a place to mount the tiny little 6" antenna. I could cheap out and stick it on my existing CB antenna mount, above the driver's side tail light, but I don't think I'll get the best performance out of the antenna in that spot. I am thinking about putting a removable (magnetic) mounting plate centered on the front of the windshield frame just below the header bar weatherstrip. The RG174 coax is so thin that I think I can run it under the weatherstrip without damaging the cable, but then I will have to figure out what to do with 12 feet of coax bunched up behind the windshield trim. Would having that much cable coiled up on itself have a negative impact on transmission/reception? Can I shorten the coax and put a new connector on the end without screwing up the performance of the radio? I have a couple of weeks to figure this stuff out, and I'd appreciate some input from those (most of you) who know more about this than I do.

The microphone is the only thing about the radio that looks normal size to this CB-since-1970 guy. Just looking at how thin that coax is makes me nervous about trying to cut and splice it.
20210607_074038.jpg

Reactions: D M
In preparation for my upcoming Moab trip I picked up a Midland MXT115 radio - geez, this thing is small! I'm going to mount it in the same place as my CB formerly sat, on my homemade ARR-style sport bar mount. That's the easy part. What's a bit more difficult is finding a place to mount the tiny little 6" antenna. I could cheap out and stick it on my existing CB antenna mount, above the driver's side tail light, but I don't think I'll get the best performance out of the antenna in that spot. I am thinking about putting a removable (magnetic) mounting plate centered on the front of the windshield frame just below the header bar weatherstrip. The RG174 coax is so thin that I think I can run it under the weatherstrip without damaging the cable, but then I will have to figure out what to do with 12 feet of coax bunched up behind the windshield trim. Would having that much cable coiled up on itself have a negative impact on transmission/reception? Can I shorten the coax and put a new connector on the end without screwing up the performance of the radio? I have a couple of weeks to figure this stuff out, and I'd appreciate some input from those (most of you) who know more about this than I do.

The microphone is the only thing about the radio that looks normal size to this CB-since-1970 guy. Just looking at how thin that coax is makes me nervous about trying to cut and splice it.
View attachment 258094
I have the MXT-275, but same idea. I didn't use the included mag mount antenna and opted for Midland's 6db gain antenna an NMO mount coax cable and mounted to my tail light housing mount I had my Firestick on.
20210207_141230.jpg

These radios are new to me. I was just wondering what happens if you don't have a license? Can the radio still be used? How are you policed?

I have the MXT-275, but same idea. I didn't use the included mag mount antenna and opted for Midland's 6db gain antenna an NMO mount coax cable and mounted to my tail light housing mount I had my Firestick on.
View attachment 258096
Yeah, I'll probably go that route when I get back, no sense in wasting an already installed mount. In the meantime I'll try out the little bitty antenna on the front and see how it works out. There aren't many options for an ideal location on an LJ, and with an antenna as small as that I wanted the best positioning on the Jeep that I could find, and front and center seems to be the answer.

Yeah, I'll probably go that route when I get back, no sense in wasting an already installed mount. In the meantime I'll try out the little bitty antenna on the front and see how it works out. There aren't many options for an ideal location on an LJ, and with an antenna as small as that I wanted the best positioning on the Jeep that I could find, and front and center seems to be the answer.
Teraflex mount and rugged radio antenna and cable. CB on Teraflex mount on other tail light.

6D4477CA-9DA8-47B1-B86B-DFC4CB7377B0.jpeg

I realize it's illegal. I would not knowingly do anything illegal. My question is if you were a problem how are you cough? Do the Police come find you and how?
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the FCC has a specialized GMRS strike team (mostly Delta Force wannabes) called the Airwaves Strike Squad (the acronym is obvious), and maybe a couple of surplus A-10's for mobile enforcement... ;)

Check your SWR in various locations. I have the little 6 inch unity gain antenna on my front fender. SWR of about 1.2. I tried several other places, including the middle of the hood (2.0) and didn't get anywhere near as low. Of course, SWR isn't everything, radiation pattern counts too. YMMV...

Reactions: Neal