Hard top hoist options

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I need to build (or get) a hard top hoist before Summer rolls around. The issue I have is that with most of them on the market, I worry that they'll cause the hard top to warp over time with the way they attach to it.

In my mind, it seems like the only proper way to store a hard top would be to set it on top of several 2" x 4"s and then attach those to the hoist, so that it's sitting on a completely level surface while it's up in the air.

I'm curious to see what you guys use for hard top hoists and if you've encountered any warping of the hard top over time.

I need to build (or get) a hard top hoist before Summer rolls around. The issue I have is that with most of them on the market, I worry that they'll cause the hard top to warp over time with the way they attach to it.

In my mind, it seems like the only proper way to store a hard top would be to set it on top of several 2" x 4"s and then attach those to the hoist, so that it's sitting on a completely level surface while it's up in the air.

I'm curious to see what you guys use for hard top hoists and if you've encountered any warping of the hard top over time.

I'm in the same mode right now and considering the 12' ceilings in the new garage there is now room for one. and I agree about the 2 x 4 base vs straps and hooks. I was looking around just yesterday and was considering the electric winch from Northern Tool for $59 along with with pulleys and rope to create a hoist.

Reactions: jeep_boss
I'm in the same mode right now and considering the 12' ceilings in the new garage there is now room for one. and I agree about the 2 x 4 base vs straps and hooks. I was looking around just yesterday and was considering the electric winch from Northern Tool for $59 along with with pulleys and rope to create a hoist.

That's pretty much the same thing I was considering as well. I realize that attaching hooks directly to the hard top would make it easier to put on, but I just foresee that warping the hardtop over time, and I don't want to deal with that. Building a 2x4 platform for it to sit on would be easy, then just attach the hoist to the ends of the 2x4s.

Reactions: jeep_boss
Only thing is, how do you get it off the 2x4s and onto the Jeep? Lower it to the floor, get a few people to remove the hard top, then lift it back up onto the Jeep? Hmmm...

Only thing is, how do you get it off the 2x4s and onto the Jeep? Lower it to the floor, get a few people to remove the hard top, then lift it back up onto the Jeep? Hmmm...

I have a three car detached garage so I just left it hanging. When I wanted it back on I back under it, lower it down, slide out the 2x4's. I'm sure there's easier ways, but I had the hoists laying around so......

Reactions: Chris
Although I have yet to install it in my new location, in my last house I mounted a pulley system in the ceiling and used a hand crank from HF to raise and lower the top. In addition I made a cart to store it on its rear. This allowed me to roll it around if needed. With the setup I can put on and take of the top by my self.

I use 4 ratchet straps and hoist it to the ceiling. No warping or any other issues. About $40.00 bucks and i hoist it up and down by myself, and I’m no kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the Harken Hoist. I haven’t had any issues. I can raise and lower it all by myself. Haven’t noticed any warping issues. It’s an easy solution to a difficult problem.

Why do you think it would warp with equal pressure at 4 points on straps? I haven’t read anything about these systems causing warping. Have you?

I also use a Harkin hoist and have no problems. I don't see why is would warp the top, but only time will tell.

Reactions: JMT
I use the Harken Hoist. I haven’t had any issues. I can raise and lower it all by myself. Haven’t noticed any warping issues. It’s an easy solution to a difficult problem.

Why do you think it would warp with equal pressure at 4 points on straps? I haven’t read anything about these systems causing warping. Have you?

No, I’ve never actually read anything about warping, you’re right. I guess in my head it just seemed like maybe it was possible, but I’m sure you’re right. I was looking at the Harken Hoists as well.

My garage is a workshop and space is limited so I store my tops in the back yard on wood "trailers" that I built. I use a $15 rope hoist to remove and install them. It uses 1/4" nylon rope and has 6 small pulleys. It's hardly confidence inspiring but it works surprisingly well. I haven't been able to find a stronger one of the same design but it wouldn't be hard or expensive to make one.

It also helps to have a big tree! :lol:

picture.jpg

picture.jpg

Reactions: Chris
I was researching this because I was thinking of going hardtop, but decided against it, but you can certainly take it off yourself. I would do what this guys does, but have a place elevated on both sides to set it on. Also, I had a Tacoma that had a cap on the back and I just hoisted it off with two heavy duty ratchet ties to the ceiling. I always did this stuff alone and no big deal.