Hard top hoist options

I used one 10' 2 x 4 cut into two 5' pieces and fastened them to the rafters with 4" drywall type screws and this was for rafters running front to back, if yours run left to right you will need an additional cross piece. They say 2 x 6 in the instructions but what I installed is solid and ain't gonna go anywhere.

Got it. My rafters run side to side. They have drywall over them, so I’m assuming it’s safe to just mount them on top of the drywall and drill through to the stud with longer bolts to make up for the drywall thickness?

Really? That was my biggest concern with the Lange hoist, but it sounds like it's not a concern at all. I just figured it would be spinning around like crazy, but it sounds like that isn't so. Hmmm, I may have to rethink my choice then, because I know the Harken Hoist takes about 3 hours to setup due to all the mounting points. How long did it take you setup your Lange hoist?
Maybe an hour or so.
I like it because I can use a drill to operate the crank, speeds the removal / replacement process.

Reactions: Chris
I just installed the Lange Hoist and it works great. Me and my OCD did a little extra to secure it. I used 2X6 backing braces on the other side of each mounting 2X6 and across the studs and rafters just to make sure everything held. I also didn't use lag screws to hold the pulleys on, I used bolts with large washers to stop them from pulling through. I used a spade bit to counter sink the hole for the washer and nut so it would sit flush.

I went with the Lange for a few reasons. 1) It uses cables vise rope and 2) And the main reason is it's setup for keeping the back window down which allows me to store it closer to the wall. Since it's closer to the wall, I angled the pulleys for a side pull. It does have a hand crank, but I use my cordless drill to zip it right up and down.

IMG_20180312_074315618-800x600.jpg

Got it. My rafters run side to side. They have drywall over them, so I’m assuming it’s safe to just mount them on top of the drywall and drill through to the stud with longer bolts to make up for the drywall thickness?

The 4" drywall screws I used would not be a problem with drywall, they would still give you 2" of penetration which is plenty. You could also use Lag bolts which is what they recommend. I just happened to have a bag them already.

I just installed the Lange Hoist and it works great. Me and my OCD did a little extra to secure it. I used 2X6 backing braces on the other side of each mounting 2X6 and across the studs and rafters just to make sure everything held. I also didn't use lag screws to hold the pulleys on, I used bolts with large washers to stop them from pulling through. I used a spade bit to counter sink the hole for the washer and nut so it would sit flush.

I went with the Lange for a few reasons. 1) It uses cables vise rope and 2) And the main reason is it's setup for keeping the back window down which allows me to store it closer to the wall. Since it's closer to the wall, I angled the pulleys for a side pull. It does have a hand crank, but I use my cordless drill to zip it right up and down.

View attachment 34990

I didn't realize that the Lange hoist let you store it with the window down. How does that work? I thought it would have to grab the top from the gap between the rear window when it's open?

I'd really like to be able to store mine with the window down, as room is limited in my garage.

Reactions: lowranger
The 4" drywall screws I used would not be a problem with drywall, they would still give you 2" of penetration which is plenty. You could also use Lag bolts which is what they recommend. I just happened to have a bag them already.

Yep, lag bolts is what I had in mind even before you mentioned that! Makes perfect sense.

I didn't realize that the Lange hoist let you store it with the window down. How does that work? I thought it would have to grab the top from the gap between the rear window when it's open?

I'd really like to be able to store mine with the window down, as room is limited in my garage.

That was my #1 priority because of limited ceiling space in my garage. I wish I would have taken a picture before I put the hardtop back on a couple of days ago, but I can assure you that it worked great.

This 'J' hook fits nicely between the glass and the top with now stress on the glass. Just open the window, slide the hook in and close the window.

IMG_20180312_083121623-600x800.jpg

Here's a pic I found online ...

View attachment 34992

Ahhh, I think this sold me on the Lange then for sure. Being able to close the window is a big deal. Our garage doesn't have high ceilings, and I'll sleep a lot better knowing the window is closed and out of the way, especially since I've got other stuff mounted on the ceiling as well (i.e. a punching bag).

Looks like the rubber coated hooks protect the hard top finish as well?

...Being able to close the window is a big deal. Our garage doesn't have high ceilings, and I'll sleep a lot better knowing the window is closed and out of the way, especially since I've got other stuff mounted on the ceiling as well (i.e. a punching bag).

Same reason I got this one ... minus the punching bag :)

Looks like the rubber coated hooks protect the hard top finish as well?

Shouldn't be a problem.

Same reason I got this one ... minus the punching bag :)

Shouldn't be a problem.

Cool! I just ordered one for $189. It's the crank version, which should be fine. Do you have the crank or power version?

Cool! I just ordered one for $189. It's the crank version, which should be fine. Do you have the crank or power version?

I have the crank version and the crank speed is really slow, but I use my cordless drill to get it right up and down.

I ordered one last winter. Sure hope it has the "J" hook in the box so I can store mine with the back window closed. That was a big concern for me too. I'm going to go out and open the box.

I ordered one last winter. Sure hope it has the "J" hook in the box so I can store mine with the back window closed. That was a big concern for me too. I'm going to go out and open the box.

There should be 2 "J" hooks, red for TJ and black for JK.