Head bolt torquing questions

k0m0d067

TJ Enthusiast
YouTube video I was watching (those 2 guys that drink a LOT of PBR) shows him torquing the head bolts in 3 phases, with ever increasing torque, until he reaches the book recommended torque..

Guessing there must be some benefit to it, but because I'm getting old, I bought the longest torque wrench the shop had (more leverage = less effort) and it doesn't go low enough for the torque they do the first time...does it really matter much, as long as the final time is the desired finished torque?

I’ve seen that when bolting the ring gear to the carrier. Anytime you have multiple bolts holding something together you should follow a method where all the bolts are firmed up, then torque down. Twice is sufficient generally

Reactions: k0m0d067
1st is 22 FT. LB
2nd is 45 FT. LB
3rd is 110 FT. LB except bolt #11 is 100 FT. LB
This is according to my 2005 Jeep service manual. Why 100 on bolt 11? I have no idea. Just got done rebuilding the 4.0 in mine.

You do want to do it in steps. Consistency between the bolts each time is more important than the exact torque until the actual torque required at the end.

I'm not sure what you guys use in Australia but here we use ft-lb and weigh ourselves in lbs. As screwed up as we are it's pretty easy to get close to the 22 and/or 45 ft-lb. I'd just press on a scale a few times until I had a pretty good idea of how much is how much and use a ratchet as close to a foot long as I had. Those that torque something by hand every single day are probably laughing at me right now.

If N-m are your thing, my smaller torque wrenches show both ft-lbs and N-m, if your new one has both, that'll be easy. If you guys weigh yourselves in kg, any math to get to N-m or ft-lbs is on you.

While I obviously didn't know a whole lot about head gaskets (see my reply in your other thread), my torque related comments come from several years of assembling random things at various times in a manufacturing plant.

Reactions: k0m0d067
Plus, the PBR dudes on YouTube posted the conversions for each increment, except for the bolt that's onky torqued to 100 ft/lbs

Screenshot_20190910-071947.png

Screenshot_20190910-072004.png

Screenshot_20190910-072033.png

Screenshot_20190910-072056.png