Help Choosing a HAM Radio

Many of the Chinese radios don't need a "mod" at all, they'll do GMRS frequencies right out of the box - or right out of the box after a magic key press. Technically illegal, but there ya go!

Reactions: U8MYDZT
Many of the Chinese radios don't need a "mod" at all, they'll do GMRS frequencies right out of the box - or right out of the box after a magic key press. Technically illegal, but there ya go!
SWIM thinks this is a risk worth taking. (The legal part not the crapy radios)

I got the TM-D710GA, Alex helped me get it setup for GMRS channels since I am slacker and didn’t finish my ham license yet. I really need to get that done….

I was able to take it at a local Red Cross for $5. A ham club gave the test once a month.

I got the TM-D710GA, Alex helped me get it setup for GMRS channels since I am slacker and didn’t finish my ham license yet. I really need to get that done….

Come on slacker! Get that ticket! That's the Kenwood unit? That is a nice radio.

Excellent radio, hard to get your hands on but highly sought after, this is currently my VHF/UHF shack rig. use it for AX.25 Packet radio (win-link and APRS) and it sounds absolutely excellent on FM. its signal rejection is superb and it seems to reach just a little bit further on transmit and it hands down pulls in more distant stations on receive.

you can do a mod for a bluetoth TNC connection and a couple of other neat things. You can probably pick up a DTMF decoder board to splice in for cross-band repeater duty (once you are licensed) as they stopped equiping them somewhere into the "G" sub-model. That radio is waaaaaaay overkill for GMRS (and not technically legal), but it will serve you well and has plenty of overhead to grow into.

Excellent radio, hard to get your hands on but highly sought after, this is currently my VHF/UHF shack rig. use it for AX.25 Packet radio (win-link and APRS) and it sounds absolutely excellent on FM. its signal rejection is superb and it seems to reach just a little bit further on transmit and it hands down pulls in more distant stations on receive.

you can do a mod for a bluetoth TNC connection and a couple of other neat things. You can probably pick up a DTMF decoder board to splice in for cross-band repeater duty (once you are licensed) as they stopped equiping them somewhere into the "G" sub-model. That radio is waaaaaaay overkill for GMRS (and not technically legal), but it will serve you well and has plenty of overhead to grow into.

That’s ok, pretty sure everything is illegal these days. I will be getting my license though in the near future now that we are all settled in at the new house.

That’s ok, pretty sure everything is illegal these days. I will be getting my license though in the near future now that we are all settled in at the new house.

I'm going to tell you honestly... I definitely don't ever run my 5100 on GMRS when we do trail rides, and the enforcement on that rule is defiantly stringent ;)

Edit: I was going to fix the Typo.... and then it was just too funny.

Last edited: