Help needed for loose steering

lulzpwndyah

TJ Enthusiast
I got my new suspension installed and I replaced the steering with a Currectlync at the same time also did the ball joints at the same time.
Ever since then though my steering wheel hasn't been straight. I got everything retorqued and took it to get an alignment and it was straight but soon after it went sloppy again. Sometimes the steering wheel is straight sometimes it isn't straight and is either left or right.... it moves sometimes when I hit bumps to the opposite side.

I don't think it has a dropped pitman. Can anyone suggest something? I called a different 4x4 shop than the one that installed my suspension but they can't take me until next week so I thought i'd see if I can figure it out here.

IMG_0482.jpg

IMG_0481.jpg

IMG_0480.jpg

IMG_0479.jpg

IMG_0478.jpg

IMG_0477.jpg

IMG_0476.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

I don't think it's part of the problem, but I would adjust the frame side track bar joint. Try to get it more evenly centered. That way you have more available joint travel when articulating.

As far as your issue, most will recommend a dry steering test to check for any play in the system.

I don't think it's part of the problem, but I would adjust the frame side track bar joint. Try to get it more evenly centered. That way you have more available joint travel when articulating.

As far as your issue, most will recommend a dry steering test to check for any play in the system.

you can see that in the 2nd picture right?
I did the dry steering test myself and definitely felt something moving when I'd jerk it side to side... I'll get my wife to help me out this afternoon though as I did it this morning before work.

In picture 2 I cant determine if there is a washer under the nut for the frame side trac bar bolt.
This would be one of the reasons why the steering is periodically off center when hitting a bump.

Last edited:
I had a similar issue and found that I failed to properly re-torque the front track bar after completing the lift. When the jeep was stationary, I would hear a small cluck when I cycled the steering from left to right. The slight play between the bolt and mounting flange was enough to cause issue.

When I diagnosed the steering in my XJ, I ran the driver's front tire up on a ramp, and did basically the dry test. The entire front end would shift, as opposed to staying with the axle. When my wife moved the wheel with me watching the components, I was able to confirm the TB was bad.

Something doesn't look right at the circled area. Can you get a better picture of that and post it up.
1601398954417.png

The slot is so you can turn the hole in the tapered pin to line up with it and make insertion of the cotter pin easier.

1601399078752.png

That bolt appears to be loose? See gap between washer and bracket.

wow I can't unsee it now. I had my wife take those pics while im at work... she's going to get the trackbar for me in a bit too. well I have homework now when I get home.

So aside from the control arm not being tightened correctly I’m guessing this here is my other problem. I know it’s a problem. But I don’t know what the actual problem is. Can someone help me out with this part? Is the washer supposed to be on the opposite side or?

Attachments

• IMG_0489.MOV
    15.9 MB
That washer looks too large to fit in the recess on the top of the mount where the nut is, but that's definitely your problem. The bolt is loose. I have no experience with JKS to know if they include the special washer currie does.

So aside from the control arm not being tightened correctly I’m guessing this here is my other problem. I know it’s a problem. But I don’t know what the actual problem is. Can someone help me out with this part? Is the washer supposed to be on the opposite side or?
I seem to recall there being a washer for the top side.

Your primary issue is likely that the bolt isn't tightened. I can't remember the torque specification, but it needs a lot of cranking to work properly.

Like Blaine pointed out, the LCA washer isn’t even flush to the bracket. That’s a slot, not a round hole, without a washer that will hold it centered, and what looks loose, that doesn’t look good.

The Track bar isn’t tight obviously, but I’m curious, the JJ On that track bar looks looser than of the JJs anywhere on my TJ. If it’s been loose, and slamming around more than just normal wear, maybe it’s worn that JJ out.

I’m not a pro on that, but I’d consider a JJ rebuild in my future. Tighten it may work, but still.

Like Blaine pointed out, the LCA washer isn’t even flush to the bracket. That’s a slot, not a round hole, without a washer that will hold it centered, and what looks loose, that doesn’t look good.

The Track bar isn’t tight obviously, but I’m curious, the JJ On that track bar looks looser than of the JJs anywhere on my TJ. If it’s been loose, and slamming around more than just normal wear, maybe it’s worn that JJ out.

I’m not a pro on that, but I’d consider a JJ rebuild in my future. Tighten it may work, but still.
I agree, I see a number of things that need checked ..you can almost see the elongation of the axle end track bar bolt as well by looking at the edge of the bolt.. or that may be my eyes. The top of the frame end track bar Johnny joint seems starved for lubrication which means wear, control arm washer is on top of the cam horseshoe so your caster is going to be weird possibly..and Blaine made me realize control arm bushings can mess with steering.

On the plus side , everything you have under there is good, heavy equipment....needs serviced, torqued and tightened the realigned in my estimation.

I'd look into a heavier bushing for that axle end if the track bar myself, if I want replacing it.

There's been a lot of money spent on that TJ front end, don't let up til it drives good. Be sure to check that ES3096L at the pitman arm.

You could use a washer under the track bar nut, preferably a thick one that fits in the recess on the topside of the bracket plus the joint looks bone dry despite the grease on the zerk.

5E525324-89CF-45ED-87AC-D67553906DFC.jpeg
1FCECC8B-AC4B-4A95-B621-63023C7D9756.jpeg

Reactions: CharlesHS
Reactions: DrDmoney
That washer looks too large to fit in the recess on the top of the mount where the nut is, but that's definitely your problem. The bolt is loose. I have no experience with JKS to know if they include the special washer currie does.
I don't see a washer at the topside of the trackbar bolt on the frame side. I also can't tell if it is or isn't tight. He needs to check that with a steering test.

Reactions: CharlesHS