Help wiring LED front turn signals

Yeah I mentioned I switched the front to a 3-wire. These are the ones my friend had that worked fine to replace the front turn signal.

https://www.finditparts.com/products/7049678/peterson-lighting-m271a
This is the GenRight side marker LED that is only 2-wire and for which I chose to add the rectifier to so it would function like the stock lights with all incandescent bulbs.

https://www.finditparts.com/products/2012369/peterson-lighting-m168a

I would have run three wire for both lights and just ditched the floating ground.

Finally!! I can get LED bulbs, use them in the factory housings, wire them up using a rectifier, install non-Mopar blinker fluid, enjoy my E load range tires, and add an electric fan to my cold air intake! Thanks for the advice Jerry! 😘

Well there ya go! I don’t get how that doesn’t bother you! LOL It would bug me. I would go to the length of welding it shut.

Now, if @jscherb came out with his JL griller overlay for the TJ, I might be tempted to go that route with in grille, CJ-esque lights and then would have to weld up that fender hole. To each their own. We all have our varying degrees of anal retentiveness. lol
I don't sell anything myself, but the mold is available if some company or person wants to bring the grille overlay to market. But when @Chris posted to gauge interest in the grille it didn't seem like there was enough interest in it to make it worthwhile to bring to market (https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/gauging-interest-on-the-cj-jl-grille-overlay-for-the-tj.34905/).

Reactions: Chris
Why is it so important to run LED bulbs in the turn signal circuits not designed for them that some will go to great lengths to like bridge rectifiers and other odd diode circuits to try to get them working?

I have the electronics background to make them work by installing a bridge rectifier for each turn signal bulb but why? What is the attraction to an LED bulb when the OEM incandescent bulbs let the circuit work as designed without modifications few understood well enough to get working.

I have LED headlights because they reach out further but they plugged right with no circuit modifications needed.

For turn signals that get totally jacked up with LED bulbs without complex modifications beyond most? I just don't get it.
I don't get it either. You can put a 454 in a VW too, but WHY? Automotive wiring is half black magic anyway (witness how said turn signals work), ain't worth the trouble.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Finally!! I can get LED bulbs, use them in the factory housings, wire them up using a rectifier, install non-Mopar blinker fluid, enjoy my E load range tires, and add an electric fan to my cold air intake! Thanks for the advice Jerry! 😘
Don't forget the plug in performance widget! But only use Mopar muffler bearings...

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
I would have run three wire for both lights and just ditched the floating ground.
Yeah I agree. And per my post #12, I tried finding a 3-wire light in a similar size as the GR side marker but couldn’t find anything that would fit as well. Hence, why I came looking for a bit of assistance.

I am running Genright fenders and I have to say that the font turn signals are so small that at night being so close to headlights they don't even show up all you see is white light. Now the side marker lights do show I do realize that they are not on in my last picture, but when you are in a on coming car the headlights over power them

9_zps1148912d.JPG

IMG_3064.JPG

l1_zps1d00d5d1.JPG

l3_zpsbed170f2.JPG

I am running Genright fenders and I have to say that the font turn signals are so small that at night being so close to headlights they don't even show up all you see is white light. Now the side marker lights do show I do realize that they are not on in my last picture, but when you are in a on coming car the headlights over power them

Thanks for the info. Hadn’t considered that possibility. A good reason to have the side marker lights blink as well to help be seen.

Why is it so important to run LED bulbs in the turn signal circuits not designed for them that some will go to great lengths to like bridge rectifiers and other odd diode circuits to try to get them working?

I have the electronics background to make them work by installing a bridge rectifier for each turn signal bulb but why? What is the attraction to an LED bulb when the OEM incandescent bulbs let the circuit work as designed without modifications few understood well enough to get working.

I have LED headlights because they reach out further but they plugged right with no circuit modifications needed.

For turn signals that get totally jacked up with LED bulbs without complex modifications beyond most? I just don't get it.

+1 for function over fashion!

I used the JK front incandescent turn signals like Jerry suggested, but used this 3/4 LED 3 wire for $10 off amazon. They work as a side marker/turn signal with no flasher issues. I just wired the 2 wires from original side marker and stole the unused ground wire from factory fog lights.
u73TazGTTySm2J1ChcZung.jpg

The polarity to the factory TJ side marker alternates depending on whether the headlights are on or not. To make a single function LED work with either polarity, a bridge rectifier can be used (I did this drawing when Radio Shack was still in business so it includes a Radio Shack part number for the bridge rectifier)

View attachment 163510

And for the front-facing turn signal/running light, any single function LED can be turned into a 2 function (dim and bright) with a resistor and 2 diodes:

View attachment 163513

Can you heat shrink the rectifier? Do you remember what the color of the jeep wires were?

Can you heat shrink the rectifier? Do you remember what the color of the jeep wires were?
It's not usually a good idea to heat shrink semiconductors because they could get warm in operation and it's best to allow air access to cool them. They're not likely to get warm in normal operation with only LEDs, but if there's a short circuit or other wiring problem they could. You can heat shrink the leads of the rectifier but I wouldn't heat shrink the body.

I don't recall what the Jeep wire colors were and it may also vary by year - some wire colors vary by year but I haven't checked wiring diagrams of different years to see if the lighting wires are the same colors across years. Best bet is to find a wiring diagram for your year, the colors of all the wires will be listed on it.

Reactions: Jeep 541X
It's not usually a good idea to heat shrink semiconductors because they could get warm in operation and it's best to allow air access to cool them. They're not likely to get warm in normal operation with only LEDs, but if there's a short circuit or other wiring problem they could. You can heat shrink the leads of the rectifier but I wouldn't heat shrink the body.

I don't recall what the Jeep wire colors were and it may also vary by year - some wire colors vary by year but I haven't checked wiring diagrams of different years to see if the lighting wires are the same colors across years. Best bet is to find a wiring diagram for your year, the colors of all the wires will be listed on it.
Great info, thank you. Do you have any pictures of where you mounted the semiconductor?

Here’s what I ended up doing and it functions exactly like stock and Jeff’s video.

A friend had some 3/4” round LEDs for the front that are 3-wire so connected those in using the factory wiring and it operates fine.

Used the rectifier from Radio Shack on the side marker 2-wire LED and it alternates with the front LED during blinker when running/parking lights are on and dims for running/parking lights. It turns off between blinks just like the factory side marker light. When running/parking lights are not on it flashes with the front light during blinker or hazard.

I’ll get photos up as soon as I get the wiring cleaned up as it’s all way too long presently.

Thanks @jscherb and @Steel City 06 for the circuit explanations.
Do you have any pictures of where you mounted the semiconductor? So i have a 3 wire 3/4 led turn single, im going to mount to the stock wires and a genright two wire marker light that ill add the rectifier to. This setup should work like the video in this post?

Still having trouble...... tube fenders are on. Parking lights and side marker lights are wired up and turn on as they should. But my turn signal lights on the dash light up as if there is a bulb burnt out?? Got a new EP27 5 pin LED flasher and no luck.
Any thoughts or help is appreciated. Thanks
I'm having the same problem with my 2000 TJ when trying to install LED Turn signals. Were you ever able to resolve this? FYI, this is what I am trying to install? (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BLGK31D/?tag=wranglerorg-20)

Do you have any pictures of where you mounted the semiconductor? So i have a 3 wire 3/4 led turn single, im going to mount to the stock wires and a genright two wire marker light that ill add the rectifier to. This setup should work like the video in this post?
Sorry just saw this reply. I have them in the wiring under the hood maybe 6 inches from the lights. Used heat shrink and Tesa wire harness high heat tape to protect it.

They work just as Scherb showed.

I had to go to 2 hobby shops to get the 2 rectifiers and they were different sizes. One was small and fit cleanly into the wiring. The 2nd was about double the size and wiring not so clean as the first. Sorry, don’t have any photos showing them. They are covered up now with tape on one side and large wire loom on the other. Had I had more time when I was doing it I could have found another small component.

Last edited:
I’m having a problem with my 05 tj. Bought it with no side markers with the narrow fenders. Got the led lights with built it turn signals like everyone is talking about. But having trouble wiring them without the side markers