Help with wheel choice for manual locking hub kit

The 5.5” kit won’t change your track width at all. I have standard brakes and 33s. With 4.5” backspacing and 35s you may have to add some washers to your steering stops but other than that should be fine!

Interesting, and good to know. I was under the impression that both kits changed the width.

Reactions: starkey480
Interesting, and good to know. I was under the impression that both kits changed the width.
Nope! The 5X5.5 kit retains the stock width. Before you install the kit take a caliper and measure the wheel stud holes in the flange of the hub and measure the knurl diameter on the studs. Yukon does a bad job of following the tolerances the rest of the automotive world uses on this. The studs knurl diameter should be .06 - .016” larger than the flange holes. The studs I got sent were .032 bigger. Wayyy too big.

Reactions: motomick76
Nope! The 5X5.5 kit retains the stock width. Before you install the kit take a caliper and measure the wheel stud holes in the flange of the hub and measure the knurl diameter on the studs. Yukon does a bad job of following the tolerances the rest of the automotive world uses on this. The studs knurl diameter should be .06 - .016” larger than the flange holes. The studs I got sent were .032 bigger. Wayyy too big.

I forgot to mention, I have BBK kit, and will need Blane to machine a set of rotors. I need to send him a few parts to make it happen. He also did mention Yukon was poor with the knurl diameter.

Ok cool send him the the hubs and wheel studs as well. He can check the tolerances and ream the holes bigger if he needs to.

Do you know if you can take the 15" kit and install 16" rotors? I forgot to ask him, as I recall there are two sets of mounting holes for the calipers in the kit.

Do you know if you can take the 15" kit and install 16" rotors? I forgot to ask him, as I recall there are two sets of mounting holes for the calipers in the kit.
Yeah I believe the calipers are dual purpose it’s just different rotors. So tell him you want the 16” rotors and you mount the caliper in the 16” position. I would verify with him though. I also don’t think he uses the rotors from your kit, he will use his rotors and machine the centerbore bigger to accommodate the hubs.

Nope, the rotors from the Yukon kit go in trash.:( Gonna have two sets of new rotors just laying around. I do not know how to link another member, but maybe Mr. Bills would like them? (The new 5.5 rotors)

Yes, for the small hub kit, either works. For the large hub kit, it works out to about a 15 1/2" kit since we have to use a different rotor.

Nope, the rotors from the Yukon kit go in trash.:( Gonna have two sets of new rotors just laying around. I do not know how to link another member, but maybe Mr. Bills would like them? (The new 5.5 rotors)
I save them if new in the box and ship them to folks in need for the cost of shipping. I had one of each set here for several months and now both are gone.

Yes, for the small hub kit, either works. For the large hub kit, it works out to about a 15 1/2" kit since we have to use a different rotor.

I was emailing you couple months ago about the conversion kit and going to 35 or 37 tires. Pulled the trigger for 35" with 17" rims, and upgrade from 4.5 pattern to 5.5, and put a Super 8.8 in rear. I figured if we need to machine rotors, might as well go a bit bigger.

Just a bit confused on the rotor situation since I chose the 5.5, and "using a different rotor."

I was emailing you couple months ago about the conversion kit and going to 35 or 37 tires. Pulled the trigger for 35" with 17" rims, and upgrade from 4.5 pattern to 5.5, and put a Super 8.8 in rear. I figured if we need to machine rotors, might as well go a bit bigger.

Just a bit confused on the rotor situation since I chose the 5.5, and "using a different rotor."
Easiest way to understand it is the small kit uses a stock rotor from an early TJ that is full cast.
The larger hub kit uses a rotor from a CJ-7 that is machined down on the OD to be the same diameter as the stock TJ rotor. There is a lot of offset difference. That means I can't use the same rotors for the large hub conversions. For the 15/16 I have one choice and that is a Ford rotor with shallow enough offset. For the 17" kit, I just use a JK rotor for the same reasons. I'll have to check my notes and see what I do for the Super 16 if anything.

So in my case, we would need to machine a set of Ford rotors, machined to your specs?

Ford ranger Alcoa wheels from 2001-2007 are 15x7 and 4.5" backspacing. Mamba MR1X is 15x8 and 4.5" backspacing. But agree that it is hard to find.
Found out mamba makes more than just the mr1x with lots of backspace. They have this 15x8 wheel with 5” backspace. That would go perfectly with hub kit resulting in 4 1/8” backspace in front and then I could just run a 1” spacer in the rear.View attachment 181207

Just wanted to add this comment in case anyone in the future finds this discussion.

I have the Mamba MR1X. All of the info I saw online said the centerbore is 71.5mm. I just went out and measured and it’s actually 54mm, way too small for the locking hub to fit through.

Just wanted to add this comment in case anyone in the future finds this discussion.

I have the Mamba MR1X. All of the info I saw online said the centerbore is 71.5mm. I just went out and measured and it’s actually 54mm, way too small for the locking hub to fit through.
Wow thanks for the info! That would be a disappointment