Help with wiring schematic for auxiliary reverse lights

Yes, I bought from that seller (Gold Coast), but not using that same link. The yellow/orange light illuminates when the switch is on. My little SE didn't come with any switches in that panel (only blanks), and so I don't know if the illumination is the same or looks any different.

PS: Here is where I learned what little I know about this.

Yes, I bought from that seller (Gold Coast), but not using that same link. The yellow/orange light illuminates when the switch is on. My little SE didn't come with any switches in that panel (only blanks), and so I don't know if the illumination is the same or looks any different.

PS: Here is where I learned what little I know about this.
I'll bet it only lights up when turned on, but does not have a light that comes on with your dash lights.
If you want the factory look; a good option is the OEM fog light from a Cherokee (like I posted earlier).

I'll bet it only lights up when turned on, but does not have a light that comes on with your dash lights.
If you want the factory look; a good option is the OEM fog light from a Cherokee (like I posted earlier).
That Is what I thought... LED status light but no backlight.

I am going to have to mix and match. I'll get the OE fog switch for each of the front and back aux lights and will probably position them at the far left of the bank of switches (for the front lights) and far right (for the rear). I am also adding a switch for OBA and Dome light and neither of those will have backlight. Unless I bail on the idea of extending the OE switches and just install some button switches on the center shift surround. If I do that, I can get the SPDT switch for the rears.

I installed a pair if aux reverse lights on my last JK that used a DPDT dash mounted switch and relay and were on-position-one was normal operation engaged with selecting reverse. Off-position had the aux lights off all the time. On-position-two turned on the aux lights independent of engaging reverse (connected to switched power so the jeep needs to be running to power them). Worked great.
Just so we're clear: do you want the lights to operate the way you describe here, or do you want something else? It sounds like you want them to come on WITH the reverse lights all the time, or independently. Do you want to be able to have them NOT come on with the reverse lights?

Reactions: machoheadgames

Oh, good catch. No, mine does not light up with dash lights. Did not realize that the OEM ones would do so.

Oh, good catch. No, mine does not light up with dash lights. Did not realize that the OEM ones would do so.
There is a way to modify them to have a "dash" light. As long as you have 4 contacts on switch, for the plug. If you have 4 contacts on the connector, that's even more helpful.

Reactions: SSTJ
There is a way to modify them to have a "dash" light. As long as you have 4 contacts on switch, for the plug. If you have 4 contacts on the connector, that's even more helpful.
The Gold Coast switches have the lettering painted on the switch and the factory switches have translucent white plastic that is back-lit when the dash lights are on. I don't think it's possible to back light the painted lettering on the aftermarket switches.

Reactions: MikekiM and SSTJ

I wish I didn't know that the OEM ones light up with dash lights. I was perfectly happy with my Gold Coast switches and now this is going to bother me ...

Someone, quick, offer me an overpriced OEM switch.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
The Gold Coast switches have the lettering painted on the switch and the factory switches have translucent white plastic that is back-lit when the dash lights are on. I don't think it's possible to back light the painted lettering on the aftermarket switches.
I'm not sure that mine are Gold Coast but I have modified the ones that I do have.

Just so we're clear: do you want the lights to operate the way you describe here, or do you want something else? It sounds like you want them to come on WITH the reverse lights all the time, or independently. Do you want to be able to have them NOT come on with the reverse lights?
What I want and what the hardware will support are two different things.

I would really LIKE it to be Auto/On/Off. But since neither a true OE switch not the knockoffs are available as a SPDT I am giving up on the full off option. So auto on with reverse and override on send to be best I can do unless I change my mounting location and switch choice.

The Knockoffs can’t be modified. What they lack is backlighting through the switches icon. Label is silkscreened on the switch where the OE is transparent and can be back lit.

I don’t know which way I am going yet. Buy two OE switches with same fog light logo and use one for front lights and one for rear. Then add knockoffs without illumination for OBA and Dome. Or abandoned the switch location and use regular backlit button switches.

Might also change all switches to the knockoffs and figure out a different way to illuminate the back of lights.

You could use 2 OE switches for your backup lights. Using relays, one is auto/off and the second is manual/off. You will need diodes too.

Last edited:
The knockoffs aren't the best quality if that helps you decide, they work but the stock switches are better in my opinion.
Likely no better or worse than a generic button switch, so if I had to choose between knockoff and buttons, I would choose knockoffs.. if only for the aesthetics.
You could use 2 OE switches for your backup lights. Using relays, one is auto/off and the second is manual/off. You will need diodes too.
With only six available slots for OE style switches I don't want to use two just for rear lights. But thank you for the suggestion.
If you're using an oem switch panel, you could use blanks and mount switches of your choice in them.
Or go full custom with something like Carling switches. I believe they fit with a little modification.

Lots of choices. You can get back lit, 3 way, graphics, ARB style, etc.

https://www.carlingtech.com/rocker-switches-v-series-ii-iiihttps://www.carlingtech.com/rocker-switches-s-series
Thanks for the links.. I've casually looked at the Carling switches but wanted to stay with the OE style switch. If I decide to abandon the factory switch plate and OE style switches, I would fabricate/but a complete faceplate to fit where the stock switches and ashtray are. Need to look for options to do this...

Do the Carling switches snap in to the stock switch panel? That could make life super easy... What I want to keep is the stock switch panel, but I could be okay with aftermarket switches in the stock panel if they snap in...

Last edited:
Reactions: pagrey
Thanks for the links.. I've casually looked at the Carling switches but wanted to stay with the OE style switch. If I decide to abandon the factory switch plate and OE style switches, I would fabricate/but a complete faceplate to fit where the stock switches and ashtray are. Need to look for options to do this...
Take a look at this... http://dailydriventj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=674