How far could you drive in 4wd with the rear shaft out

Warman124

My Dana 35 finally blew up and now I need to road trip home to fix it from Florida to Ohio. Is leaving the rear shaft out and driving back in 4hi going to cause excessive wear to my T-case or should it be fine? It’s got the wide chain kit and an sye I also don’t care if the Dana 30 goes just needs to get me back it’s around 1000 miles. Also should I remove the ring gear to reduce risk of something breaking off and locking up the rear?

Attachments

• IMG_1902.MOV
    10.1 MB
You can drive it in FWD for as long as you want. If there is metal in the rear diff, or potential for there to be metal floating around in the rear diff, I would remove the cover, drain the oil and remove the metal to ensure that chunks don't tear up additional parts and or cause destruction to a bearing. I would also look to ensure that whatever is broke won't cause additional damage.

I saw in another forum somewhere where someone used a high powered magnet to attract the metal debris away with a failing LSD, but I don't know how exactly they did it.

Might be better IF you know someone to lend the use of their pickup and rent a U Haul trailer to place the Jeep on for the trip.
This way you no longer have to worry about what is going on in the Dana 35 or whether you should drive 1000 miles creating unnecessary wear in four wheel drive.

Go to a junk yard and swap in a zj axle then disconnect the front driveshaft if they are geared different. Then drive home.

I have done it, nothing will happen, although the Jeep driving feels a bit odd. I did it on a CJ though, not on a TJ.
I would remove the rear drive shaft completely, and drive on slower small roads at slower speed. Any who, the best thing is to haul it on a trailer. And only drive it short distances like that.

You will have to plug up the transfer case if the driveshaft has a slip yoke. Or you loose most of the fluid in the transfer case. A large socket the same outside diameter as the driveshaft can be taped in to hold the fluid in.

What are you planning on doing when you get there? New axle, new gears, ....

My Dana 35 finally blew up and now I need to road trip home to fix it from Florida to Ohio. Is leaving the rear shaft out and driving back in 4hi going to cause excessive wear to my T-case or should it be fine? It’s got the wide chain kit and an sye I also don’t care if the Dana 30 goes just needs to get me back it’s around 1000 miles. Also should I remove the ring gear to reduce risk of something breaking off and locking up the rear?
It will be more than fine at any speed you are comfy driving and then some. My buddy Brad drove out from Missouri to SoCal. He burnt up the double cardan in the first 150 miles, pulled it and finished the trip with zero consequences and he had a Detroit in the front.

You will have to plug up the transfer case if the driveshaft has a slip yoke. Or you loose most of the fluid in the transfer case. A large socket the same outside diameter as the driveshaft can be taped in to hold the fluid in.
This is an important point. If you don't have an SYE this discussion is a whole different animal than if you do have an SYE.

As others have said, its fine to remove the rear shaft entirely, maybe remove whatever gears are still going to grind in the rear diff, put the Jeep in 2 high and then drive on the front. It basically turns your Jeep into front wheel drive, which means it could handle a little differently. Take a good look at your front shaft first though, give it a firm shake and make sure there aren't any loose parts, maybe grease things if there are grease fittings. The front shaft in a TJ spins all the time just not under load, which means it is wearing out whether out are in 2wd or 4wd. The stock front shafts in these Jeeps are kind of cheap as they are meant to be a sort of back up shaft, that you use only when you switch over into 4WD. Pulling the rear shaft means the front shaft is now your main shaft and is 100% responsible to get you down the road. If it it is in poor condition putting the full burden of moving your Jeep down the highway on the front shaft could be the thing that pushes it over the edge. Not trying to scare you, just want to make sure that the front shaft is up to the task. If it's a newer aftermarket shaft it's probably fine though.

I had a problem with my transfercase and it wouldnt shift out of 4 wheel high. I drove from Ventura California to Jacksonville, Florida on the front axle with the rear drive shaft removed. I drove as fast as 75 mph. With no issues. Dont expect it to handle the same.

Short answer is home.

Better answer is to your closest buddy's place with a 2 post lift where you had all the parts shipped (2 day of course and not the typical 4 to 6 week/month/year wait.) Oh and that buddy has tools and your favorite beverage on ice.

-Mac

I saw in another forum somewhere where someone used a high powered magnet to attract the metal debris away with a failing LSD, but I don't know how exactly they did it.

I stuck it to the inside of the cover away from moving parts. It lived there for about two weeks until the ARB got installed.

Reactions: MikeE024