How to align your Jeep Wrangler TJ

One thing I didn’t see anybody mention in this thread; make sure the stock you buy is straight. Don’t assume they are straight. Eyeball them, or go grab a level off of the shelf.

I bought mine at Lowe’s. I found two pieces of 3 foot aluminum angle, out of a dozen, that were straight to the naked eye. The rest were all warped to some degree. The square tube and c-channel they had was even worse.
I just used two 4' carpenter levels clamped to the hubs and marked at the proper distance to simulate the tire diameter.

But I actually took the rotors off and clamped directly to the hubs.

20190228_211252.jpg

Just did this, too. I think that aluminum square tube is probably better than the steel material I was using. Seems like the aluminum has sharper edges vs the steel is more rounded.

Reactions: Kenneth G Zinis
Glad I found this thread. Was looking for a shop near me to get mine set. But after reading this thread on doing it yourself. Went to the basement, picked up the 3/4" sq tubing 4ft long. found the center then size of tires. Marked all this, then clamped it to pair of extra wheels I have. Got 2 tapes, found mine was set at 1/2". After the second check I had it at 1/16th".
Thanks guys.

20210326_163656.jpg

After an hour ride. All I can say is WOW, drives so much better now. Before it was not bad at all. Now turn the wheel loose and it does not move.
Again Thanks for the info on how to get this done at home. Also nice riding around with the doors off. Enjoying the 70 degree evening.

Pete

Thanks for this thread! What an easy job. Putting tape on the steering wheel so you can see it from the front of the car is a great time saver for straightening the steering wheel.

• Wow
Reactions: JMT and lBasket
Thanks for this thread! What an easy job. Putting tape on the steering wheel so you can see it from the front of the car is a great time saver for straightening the steering wheel.
I used a short cut on setting the steering wheel. Just used one of my spring clamps on the center of the wheel. No tape and easy to see.

image_20652.jpg

Last edited:
No need to make special marks for different tire size- the angle will be the same, and a longer bar will make the precision of the measurement less critical. Since the precision is less critical, we can measure from the tires rather than the rotors and still get a "close enough" result. We're measuring on the order of 1/4" rather than in sixteenths of an inch.

Just go to Harbor Freight and get two aluminum 4' levels for $14 each. Don't use plastic/composite- too much flex. Inflate tires to identical pressure, and bungee cord the levels to the front wheels. Get them low enough to the ground so the tape can get to the other side unimpeded. Make sure they're the same height off the ground...doesn't have to be perfect...within 1/2" of each other shouldn't make much difference. Put the bubbles even with the hubs and make sure they're level. Adjust until the front of the levels are 1/4" closer together than the rear. Putting a piece of cardboard under the tires will make the adjuster easier to turn.

1/4" isn't a WAG number- here's the math....
.15* toe angle times two tires = .3* combined toe-in angle
Sin(.3) = .00523
.00523 * 48" = 1/4"

alignment.jpg

Last edited:
It seems that irregularities in the side wall might come into play here? The point is to make sure the straight edge plane is parallel to your hub/ rotor surface?

Reactions: Kenneth G Zinis
Can anyone explain to a complete beginner what is the importance of toe?

What do we accomplish by having the correct toe in?

What will happen if we have toe out? or too much toe in? or maybe ZERO toe?

Can anyone explain to a complete beginner what is the importance of toe?

What do we accomplish by having the correct toe in?

What will happen if we have toe out? or too much toe in? or maybe ZERO toe?
Since the TJ is rear wheel drive it pushes the front axle, and due to friction of the front tires on the road the wheels slightly straighten out.

If you weren’t toe’ed in (or toed out) the force would change the angle to where they’re pointed slightly more outward.

Conversely in a FWD car they typically toe out, since they pull the vehicle the force pulls them more centered.

Reactions: TJim
Since the TJ is rear wheel drive it pushes the front axle, and due to friction of the front tires on the road the wheels slightly straighten out.

If you weren’t toe’ed in (or toed out) the force would change the angle to where they’re pointed slightly more outward.

Conversely in a FWD car they typically toe out, since they pull the vehicle the force pulls them more centered.
So, what would be the result if I have more Toe in ?

Let's say for example, 3/4" instead of 1/8".

What would it feel like? What would the disadvantages be?