How to correct speedometer on TJ Rubicon?

LJRubiconGuy

TJ Enthusiast
Ummm, I have a TJ (errrr, LJ) Rubicon and I run 33" tires. My speedometer is clearly off by a little bit, but as I understand the Rubicon doesn't have the typical speedometer gear tooth you can easily change out, is this correct?

If so, how do I go about re-calibrating my speedo for 33" tires on a Rubicon?

There is no speedometer gear on the 03-06 Rubicon. The speedometer on these is electronically controlled and therefore you only have two options from all the research I've done:

1) Some dealers are able to re-program the ECU so that it the speedometer will accommodate for different gearing and larger tires.

2) There are several electronic speedometer calibrators out there with one popular model being the Truspeed and the Dakota Digital.

I'm going to have to do the same thing myself to my 05 Rubicon since I'm experiencing the same issue.

Reactions: jeep_boss
Yellow Box
20160107_105540.jpg

Reactions: Chris
There is no speedometer gear on the 03-06 Rubicon. The speedometer on these is electronically controlled and therefore you only have two options from all the research I've done:

1) Some dealers are able to re-program the ECU so that it the speedometer will accommodate for different gearing and larger tires.

2) There are several electronic speedometer calibrators out there with one popular model being the Truspeed and the Dakota Digital.

I'm going to have to do the same thing myself to my 05 Rubicon since I'm experiencing the same issue.

God damnit. I just got my new speedo gear in. Thought I needed the gear, but googling the installation led me to this thread :/

Reactions: Chris
God damnit. I just got my new speedo gear in. Thought I needed the gear, but googling the installation led me to this thread :/

Yep... The Rubicon is a special exception. Once upon a time I thought it was as easy as swapping gears out. That's the price you pay for having a really stout transfer case.