How to install a Derale 20561 transmission cooler on your Wrangler TJ

Amazing. Thank you.

Now I need to find out if 1/8 will work. I read somewhere that the Derale is 5/32. Can’t find that info again though so I’ll need to confirm things.

Per Derale, the switch is 6/32, it screws into the 1/8 npt plug.
Worse case, if the amazon switch isn't 6/32, you would have to switch to their 1/8 npt plug.
Nevermind, that's not right.

Per Derale, the switch is 6/32, it screws into the 1/8 npt plug.
Worse case, if the amazon switch isn't 6/32, you would have to switch to their 1/8 npt plug.
Nevermind, that's not right.

So worst case maybe I could run an -6AN coupler and drill/tap in the correct diameter & thread for the thermostat switch.

Edit:Or plug off the little port in the current coupler/housing and tap into that to install the other thermostat switch.

It would be nice if Derale simply has other compatible options.

So worst case maybe I could run an -6AN coupler and drill/tap in the correct diameter & thread for the thermostat switch.

Edit:Or plug off the little port in the current coupler/housing and tap into that to install the other thermostat switch.

It would be nice if Derale simply has other compatible options.

I'm thinking (hoping) they're all the same size.
I'm going to try a 170° off of Ebay.

Reactions: MikeE024
I'm thinking (hoping) they're all the same size.
I'm going to try a 170° off of Ebay.

I hope so too.

I saved the links to the 170 and 160 (also leaning towards getting the 170 first). If possible, let us know if the threads play nice with Derale’s coupler housing.

Edit: I’ll ask Derale about the fan’s duty cycle and let you know what I find out.

Last edited:
I wish mine worked that well.
I've never seen the temperature go down because of the fan.
Normally it stays at 180°, but air temperature and hills affect it the most.
I've even seen mine go to 215°-220° with the fan on.
This is usually on highway inclines, not crawling.

I am not claiming that if I install the 140F switch it will always stay in that area. The fan will kick in earlier and it will run cooler on average.
As for going to 220F - is your radiator OK? The oil is supposed to be cooled by radiator as well, and there it is liquid to liquid cooler. Assuming that your cooling system works fine, 220F seems to be too high. Did you disconnect the radiator cooler?

I am not claiming that if I install the 140F switch it will always stay in that area. The fan will kick in earlier and it will run cooler on average.
As for going to 220F - is your radiator OK? The oil is supposed to be cooled by radiator as well, and there it is liquid to liquid cooler. Assuming that your cooling system works fine, 220F seems to be too high. Did you disconnect the radiator cooler?

Engine temps are perfect, even on 100+ days. I figure the fluid is cooled in the radiator enough to keep the fan from turning on. The gauge shows the temperature of the fluid sitting in the hot transmission. Probably doesn't help that the pan (and sensor) is right next to the cat.

My temp gauge reached 205* while out in a random trail today.

I also noticed that the fan was not on at 201* so I took a video evidence for my communications with Derale.

After getting back to town I noticed the fan was on at 199*. So now I’m back to what I thought I noticed early on…the fan is not consistently turning on.

It's 2023, time to realize this cooler isn't what it's made out to be. Look into the setrab that Blaine recommends. No extra fans or wiring, no bad mounting locations.

Reactions: MikeE024
It's 2023, time to realize this cooler isn't what it's made out to be. Look into the setrab that Blaine recommends. No extra fans or wiring, no bad mounting locations.

I repurposed my Setrab that Blaine installed to cool my Banks intercooler. It was an experiment that went unbelievably well. The Setrab dropped my intake temps by 100*+ in full boost.

It’s flat out hilarious how awesome the Setrab cools liquid. The Setrab’s location, cooling effect, and simplicity is superior to the Derale.

I’m being greedy by wanting a turbo that’s properly intercooled, and the biggest cost/risk at this point involves me running the Derale to cool the transmission.

Last edited:
Reactions: rasband

Main thing that I like about this Derale cooler that it is located far away from engine bay and it does not add to the heat load of the radiator. I don't think that the location is problematic.

Main thing that I like about this Derale cooler that it is located far away from engine bay and it does not add to the heat load of the radiator. I don't think that the location is problematic.

Have you considered that the Derale might heat load the radiator since it doesn’t cool the fluid as well as the Setrab?

Regarding air flow, the Setrab doesn’t harm my engine cooling. And that’s with a PSC cooler above it and the Derale sending hotter fluid through the bottom of the radiator.

Blaine wouldn’t install the Setrab if it compromised folk’s engine cooling systems.

Have you considered that the Derale might heat load the radiator since it doesn’t cool the fluid as well as the Setrab?

Regarding air flow, the Setrab doesn’t harm my engine cooling. And that’s with a PSC cooler above it and the Derale sending hotter fluid through the bottom of the radiator.

Blaine wouldn’t install the Setrab if it compromised folk’s engine cooling systems.

I am not saying that Setrab is a bad solution. It is cheap and it works.
I do think that Derale cooler with lower activation point, like 140, will do it’s job as well.

I am not saying that Setrab is a bad solution. It is cheap and it works.

The Setrab is not cheap. It definitely works.

I do think that Derale cooler with lower activation point, like 140, will do it’s job as well.

I don’t believe the Derale fan coming on sooner will cool the transmission fluid as well as the Setrab does, but I hope the results are good enough to allow me to keep running it without damaging the transmission.