How to remove flexplate mounting bolts

Thanks, Jerry! Yeah, Most of my stuff is 3/8", so that's good to know. I'll probably make a trip to HF today. Thank you!
Pneumatic tools are so yesterday...like Jerry said go to harbor freight and buy an impact gun they are a game changer

Agree….but I do miss the “vzzooom” sound when it really breaks loose! Feels like you got something done….or you’re in the NASCAR Pits!

Agree….but I do miss the “vzzooom” sound when it really breaks loose! Feels like you got something done….or you’re in the NASCAR Pits!

Heh, heh....I have an 18volt Ridgid impact drill all along and didn't realize it....heh, heh.

😅

Flexplate off! NASCAR indeed, cpwolf. Feels good I'm actually on the second half of this whole transmission ordeal. Thanks, guys. I greatly appreciate all of your input and insights.

Last edited:
  • USA Proud
Reactions: TJ Jim
I've referenced the stickied threads for torque specs and done online searches, but am coming up empty on the specifications for the six bolts mounting the flexplate to the engine. Where is the information located? Thanks!

Edit: I've found this information from 2008 on a Jeepforum:
105 ft-lbs for the bolts that attach the flexplate to the crankshaft
28 ft-lbs for the torque converter bolts

Also, am I installing the bolts in a star pattern or some other procedural approach? Thanks.

Last edited:
I've referenced the stickied threads for torque specs and done online searches, but am coming up empty on the specifications for the six bolts mounting the flexplate to the engine. Where is the information located? Thanks!

Edit: I've found this information from 2008 on a Jeepforum:
105 ft-lbs for the bolts that attach the flexplate to the crankshaft
28 ft-lbs for the torque converter bolts

Also, am I installing the bolts in a star pattern or some other procedural approach? Thanks.

I start them all by hand and then "kiss" them with a hand ratchet. Then I go 75 percent or so of the way in a circular pattern like a wheel. Then bring her home and not with that impact gun

Reactions: H_E_H
I start them all by hand and then "kiss" them with a hand ratchet. Then I go 75 percent or so of the way in a circular pattern like a wheel. Then bring her home and not with that impact gun

Understood. Thanks!
105 ft-lbs is the correct spec, yeah?

Everything on the new flexplate looks similar to the vehicle's original except for the absence of these holes. Are the holes a type of weight reduction for balance? Should I be concerned? Also, does the flexplate have to go on in a certain orientation (note the original also has a splotch of pink paint?) I can compare the new flexplate's position in relation to the photo I included in this thread's original post, but I'm not seeing any discernable notch or indicator the new flexplate should be mounted a certain orientation (other than backwards, that is)

❓One more question: what are the cog teeth around the perimeter for?
EDIT: nevermind I searched and learned: Like flywheels, flexplates normally handle coupling to the starter motor, via teeth cut along the outer edge of the plate. These teeth give the flexplate a gear-like appearance, in spite of this being a secondary function.
3obdKBg.jpg

2GT2SBe.jpg

Yes, the bolts are offset slightly where it will only go on correctly if they all line up.

Exactly as you describe. Thanks!
~

Are there any good videos or threads detailing installing the new torque converter? There are several videos I have located, yet none for a TJ Wrangler. Is the procedure pretty standard (partial fill of the TC with ATF and some of the ATF on the spline?) I'm keeping the housing under the vehicle as it won't clear the jeep's height and I'm hesitant to jack up the rear further. That should be okay, yeah?

m5rbd1B.jpg

All shiny 'n chrome, but not really:
chPnPGI.jpg