How to replace the heater core on a Jeep Wrangler TJ

My worry is not how to heat up, but rather how to cool the rig with AC running is slow motion.
My strategic plan is to create a mixed cooling system, in which a factory cooling system with mechanical fan is augmented by a small auxilary radiator that I will install in the same area where I have installed the Derale transmission cooler.
I took a heater core from YJ, 6 inch fan, couple of metal pieces and working to get it installed in the back. I will install a switch on the fan that activates when the temperature of the coolant reaches 210F. I will use the heater core line for this, basically the heater core line will go through the back of the rig for the cooling.

View attachment 374410

View attachment 374411

View attachment 374412

Got it. Will you install this on the passenger side similar to the driver side where your transmission cooler is…or will you be modifying the trans cooler setup?

Got it. Will you install this on the passenger side similar to the driver side where your transmission cooler is…or will you be modifying the trans cooler setup?

Transmission cooler will not move. It is attached to the frame, and I will install this guy close to it, but will be mounted on the bottom of the body. I am not doing any serious rock crawling with my 31s, so It will be safe enough.

Mine is an 06 6-speed, so the main differences are that I had to remove the fuse block and the shifter console to get the HVAC unit out.
Rest assured, those items need to be removed on the early model TJs as well.

Mopar fan clutch and radiator. Gates hoses. Had the radiator and water pump for while now after picking them up off Amazon before prices got crazy. Performance radiator heater core.

I didn’t realize prices got crazy but that doesn’t surprise me. Fwiw, I’ve had good luck with the OEM radiator/pump/clutch/fan.

If I ever need a new heat core, is Performance the way to go assuming I’m unable to source a stock part or is it recommended to have the stock part repaired?

I didn’t realize prices got crazy but that doesn’t surprise me. Fwiw, I’ve had good luck with the OEM radiator/pump/clutch/fan.

If I ever need a new heat core, is Performance the way to go assuming I’m unable to source a stock part or is it recommended to have the stock part repaired?

I paid $250 for my factory radiator from Amazon in July this year. I see they no longer available on Amazon now. I replaced the fan clutch in July too with a mopar unit.

I think the earlier tj you can have the heater core repaired because of their construction of you can find a place that can still do that work. The later models have a plastic tank, aluminum core design you can't really repair and is discontinued from the factory unfortunately. Performance radiator seems to be the only one half way decent based on reviews here so that's what I chose since no factory option available and you can't really repair the later model cores.

Reactions: MikeE024
I paid $250 for my factory radiator from Amazon in July this year. I see they no longer available on Amazon now. I replaced the fan clutch in July too with a mopar unit.

I think the earlier tj you can have the heater core repaired because of their construction of you can find a place that can still do that work. The later models have a plastic tank, aluminum core design you can't really repair and is discontinued from the factory unfortunately. Performance radiator seems to be the only one half way decent based on reviews here so that's what I chose since no factory option available and you can't really repair the later model cores.

Looks like Performance Radiator it is then, thanks for getting me up to speed on that.

Let us know how you like the new core. My stock core puts out some HEAT.

Reactions: Morks
Looks like Performance Radiator it is then, thanks for getting me up to speed on that.

Let us know how you like the new core. My stock core puts out some HEAT.

Just finished installing a performance rad heater core. Definitely puts out some good heat, but then again I've been ripping around the last 2 years with none (so can not compare to OEM, and the xj I had over the winter did not have heat either lol) so anything is good!

edit: just arrived home after a wheeling trip. GF said the heat was great. I was sweating, which should fine be fine for most people, however, my cold tolerance is great... Hopefully, the core itself lasts for years to come.

Last edited:
I wanted to send a big thanks to the OP for this thread. I just completed my heater core/evaporator R&R using this guide and it all went great.
Some recommend leaving the dash in place, but I personally don't see an advantage to that. Removing the steering column and dash would have been the easiest part if it weren't for figuring out how each electrical connector was locked. But they all disconnected just fine, and having all that out of the way made the rest so easy to deal with. Got some things cleaned and accessory wiring tidied up along the way. The hardest part by far was removing the nut behind the cylinder head.
Mine is an 06 6-speed, so the main differences are that I had to remove the fuse block and the shifter console to get the HVAC unit out.
Despite being slightly more than modestly mechanically inclined, I've been dreading this job. But I have to say it really isn't a big deal if you take your time. Five out of five stars. Like. Subscribe. Would recommend to a friend. Whatever the kids are saying these days. Just do it.

A quick follow up and report card on the Performance heater core. All good! We had two weeks of very cold weather (for central Alabama, so like 35°F) and I have no complaints regarding the quality or heat output. I've been waiting to see how it holds up before I get the AC recharged, and I think it's time to move on.

I also just completed my heater core install about 2 days ago. Interior heat seems on par with factory heat output as far as I can tell. No leaks but I've been driving it around for a few days.

I did a full cooling system refresh though since my radiator started leaking too. All good so far.