How to replace the heater core on a Jeep Wrangler TJ

I wonder if anyone out there that has an original factory heater core could measure the heat coming out of the dash vents at low and full blower. I believe that high blower causes a heater core to act like a radiator, the airflow dropping the temperature coming out by a few degrees. But I also wonder if the lower temperature at high blower is caused by a leak at my blender door or something. I love data and numbers, and find conjecture highly suspect.
I replaced mine with an OEM, but my TJ is not on the road currently while it gets some paint. Unless you truly want an original one’s measurements, I could do it once it’s done. Would this be at max temperature setting?

I think the differing performance we see with non-OEM designs has more to do with the corkscrews (‘turbulators’) inside of the passages which serve to slow down flow and give off more heat.

https://www.superradiatorcoils.com/blog/heat-exchanger-turbulators-types-and-purposes

I am really just interested in what a stock Jeep heater puts out. They are old enough that many have had to replace the heater core by now

Ordered, will be on my doorstep tomorrow!

Did you have to call or something? I have been trying to order this for the past month and every time I do it says out of stock. I will try to call later today.

Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 7.24.54 AM.png

Did you have to call or something? I have been trying to order this for the past month and every time I do it says out of stock. I will try to call later today.

View attachment 362388

I had the same error message when I tried to order online. I called and the item was in stock so I just placed the order over the phone. I also informed them of the error message on their website...

Reactions: Longwhitejeep
Any longer term feedback on the Performance Radiator heater core? Has it held up better than any other brands?

Any longer term feedback on the Performance Radiator heater core? Has it held up better than any other brands?

I'm going on 1 month now with mine. Not sure what you consider long term? The Performance Radiator core is holding up great for me.

I'm going on 1 month now with mine. Not sure what you consider long term? The Performance Radiator core is holding up great for me.

If YOU consider 1 month long term, I have to ask why you even bothered doing the work? :)

The original lasted 20 something years. I'm hoping a replacement will last a couple of years. I'm probably asking too much.

If YOU consider 1 month long term, I have to ask why you even bothered doing the work? :)

The original lasted 20 something years. I'm hoping a replacement will last a couple of years. I'm probably asking too much.

I think a frequent complaint is replacements don't heat as well as OEM. The performance radiator version being the closest to OEM heating based on reviews and feedback. There are quite a few on this forum running this version for a few years now. I will be installing o e soon once I order an oem evaporator too.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/02-06-heater-core-options.33206/

The Brassworks we put in our 2005 put out 103F max — at 210F operating temp.

Then it sprung a leak. Then the owner quit responding to warranty claims….

I thought Brassworks was the best option even though expensive. I guess I'll never have heat again.

I’ve heard good things here about the performance radiator brand because they are the only one who uses metal turbulators. I looked through the tube on the top and it looks like I see some white plastic which is not promising.

Has anyone else seen this when looking at the performance radiator heater core? Thoughts?

D9DB9E22-AC9D-4F0A-9144-6A2C194E801B.jpeg

I just picked up a performance radiator heater core and upon inspection found the same thing. I will probably still use it because I need to stop the leak and heat is not a huge deal where I live. Just a little disappointed.

I just picked up a performance radiator heater core and upon inspection found the same thing. I will probably still use it because I need to stop the leak and heat is not a huge deal where I live. Just a little disappointed.

Was that designed into the core? Maybe to restrict outlet for better shearing or longevity. Could it be to reduce noise from water flow? Here to tell from the picture if it’s designed that way or poor manufacturing

Mine isn’t leaking right at the moment, but it doesn’t provide much heat. It is a Murray one from O’Reilly’s that doesn’t provide much heat. I wanted to try and swap it out for the performance radiator one in hopes that it will provide better heater. But don’t want to replace one that doesn’t produce heat for another one that doesn’t produce heat.

If you install it let me know how the heat turns out for you please.