How to set your bump stop on a Jeep Wrangler TJ

Great write up Chris on setting bump stops. I just did mine in the rear and got it all wrong. So I will be following your guide and getting it correct. Also I think the front is off too so I will have to deal with that first.

Reactions: Chris
I need to replace my rear bump stops and am assuming I have to get coils off as easiest way to swap them? I had them off when I swapped in my Dana 44 and honestly put too much bump stop in at that time. I was guessing but had no idea what I needed. So in order to get coils off I assume I just take shock loose and push down until coil comes out without removing anything else? What is easiest way to get at bump stop?

When I swapped my Dana 44 into my TJ I put in way to much bump stop by guestimating with no basis of understnading on what I needed. So i have to swap them out. If I need 2-2.5" on rear are these too long? It says 2" plus but I am not sure if that would be about right

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Suspension/Rubicon-Express-Bump-Stop-Upper-Front-Rear-TJ-2-0-Inch-Plus-Pair-RE1395.aspx?t_c=1&t_s=101&t_pt=9030&t_pn=R/ERE1395

The smart thing to do would be to buy ones that are 3" or so. That way they are a little longer and you can cut off the excess amount and dial them in perfectly.

That's what I would do personally!

Reactions: PhantomX
Guys I need some help! I decided to bite the bullet and take my coils off to swap pull my bump stops out and cut them to size. I couldn't get the coils off so I started unbolting things in this order after taking the tires off. First passenger side lower shock, and the sway bar. I couldn't get the coil out so I removed the the lower control arm at the frame. This allowed my axle to droop and got the coils out. So now I can't get the lower control arm back in to position on the frame. FYI - the track bar and the driver side is still bolted up. Advice on how to approach it?

The trackbar needs to come off at the axle end. Usually with the shocks, trackbar, sway bar, and loosening the control arm bolts, the springs fall out.

The trackbar needs to come off at the axle end. Usually with the shocks, trackbar, sway bar, and loosening the control arm bolts, the springs fall out.

X2 to this. Sorry I didn't see your post earlier @PhantomX.

To get the coils out you've got to take the brake calipers off of the carriers (leave the brake lines still connected to the calipers obviously). Then I would unbolt the track bar on the axle side, unbolt the sway bar, and I would also make it easier by unbolting the front driveshaft where it connects to the front pinion. You shouldn't even have to undo the control arms at all. Once you do that, it should allow the axle to fully sag, assuming it's high enough up on jack stands.

Guys I need some help! I decided to bite the bullet and take my coils off to swap pull my bump stops out and cut them to size. I couldn't get the coils off so I started unbolting things in this order after taking the tires off. First passenger side lower shock, and the sway bar. I couldn't get the coil out so I removed the the lower control arm at the frame. This allowed my axle to droop and got the coils out. So now I can't get the lower control arm back in to position on the frame. FYI - the track bar and the driver side is still bolted up. Advice on how to approach it?

Are you asking for advice on how to reattach the lower control arm to the frame?

Yeah, it sounds like the OP wants to know how to get the Control Arms realigned to bolt up. I haven't faced this problem since I just loosened mine. Seems like you could ratchet them up, or maybe try turning the steering wheel to see if they'll shift so you can line up.

Ohhhh, we are talking about getting the control arms aligned. That took me forever, and it was a son of a bitch. I had to have a friend help me man handle the axle while I wiggled the control arms into place. The lesson I learned from this is that if I did it over, I would only do one control arm at a time. Then it would be a walk in the park.

Are you asking for advice on how to reattach the lower control arm to the frame?
Basically yes. When I swapped my Dana 35 to Dana 44 a while back I had it all off and did lowers first, then uppers and the last upper was a pain. I kept having to jack up the differential up near the pinion/axle side and I finally got it in. Then attached shocks and sway bar. Now the lower passenger side control arm is not even close but as I said the driver side shock and track bar are still attached. So should I unbolt the shock and track bar and free it up to get the lower control arm back in place or is there another technique?

X2 to this. Sorry I didn't see your post earlier @PhantomX.

To get the coils out you've got to take the brake calipers off of the carriers (leave the brake lines still connected to the calipers obviously). Then I would unbolt the track bar on the axle side, unbolt the sway bar, and I would also make it easier by unbolting the front driveshaft where it connects to the front pinion. You shouldn't even have to undo the control arms at all. Once you do that, it should allow the axle to fully sag, assuming it's high enough up on jack stands.
I think that I got carried away and loosened the lower CA on the passenger side instead of the track bar. Thanks!

Ohhhh, we are talking about getting the control arms aligned. That took me forever, and it was a son of a bitch. I had to have a friend help me man handle the axle while I wiggled the control arms into place. The lesson I learned from this is that if I did it over, I would only do one control arm at a time. Then it would be a walk in the park.
Yeah when I did the swap I had to jack up the tongue of the pumpkin near where the axel attaches to get the last upper CA. Now I pulled the lower CA trying to get the axle to sage enough to get the coil out and it is not even close to lining up again. I will try removing track bar on the axle side and the other shock at the axle to see if I can force it back in to alignment. Thanks!

Yeah, it sounds like the OP wants to know how to get the Control Arms realigned to bolt up. I haven't faced this problem since I just loosened mine. Seems like you could ratchet them up, or maybe try turning the steering wheel to see if they'll shift so you can line up.
It is on the rear so I think the ratchet idea may be worth trying. Thanks!

Bumps stops replaced and everything back together except the track bar won't align at the axle. It is about 1-1.5 inches off and kind of twisted relative to the bracket see attached pictures. I have put everything back on and wheels on the ground and tried to push the body over but no luck at all. It didn't move at all. Any advice? I am stuck.

Bumps stops replaced and everything back together except the track bar won't align at the axle. It is about 1-1.5 inches off and kind of twisted relative to the bracket see attached pictures. I have put everything back on and wheels on the ground and tried to push the body over but no luck at all. It didn't move at all. Any advice? I am stuck.
Not seeing the pics for some reason.

Try a ratchet strap. Connect one end to the track bar bracket and other to frame. It may be time to look into an adjustable one too.