I bought a new Jeep

There are lots of those still in use in India, both the short wheelbase version that is in the article posted above and the longer wheelbase "Commander" version. Two weeks ago I was in India and one of the places I visited was the Venkataswara temple in Tirupati (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venkateswara_Temple,_Tirumala). The temple is situated high on a mountain as are many temples, historic forts and palaces in India and large numbers of Mahindra jeeps offer taxi services to bring pilgrims and tourists up to the site from the valley below. In most places, these are mostly open jeeps, and many of them are derivations of the CJ-3b.

The Commanders at Venkataswara were much nicer than the typical well-used jeep taxis I've seen in Rajasthan and other places - all of them were almost new looking. All of them have soft tops and pretty much all of them have luggage racks on top of the soft top (anchored through the fabric to the roll bars). I saw many of these racks in use, like this one:

TirupatiCommander.jpg

Notice how clean it is and the gloss finish of the paint. I didn't get a chance to photograph many others, we had to leave our phones in our car because they're not allowed in the temple but all of the Jeeps I saw there were as nice as this one.

A more typical short wheelbase Jeep in tourist service, this one I photographed at the Mehrangarh Fort in Jodhpur, Rajasthan:

Major3.jpg

There's a bit of history in the article above but for those interested in more detail on the history of Mahindra, this "coffee table book" is a great source of information on Mahindras - it's over 300 pages of Mahindra history and a lot of information on the various models, military use of Mahindra Jeeps, etc.

TimelessMahindra.jpg

It might be a little hard to get in the U.S. though - I got my copy on Amazon India (
https://www.amazon.in/dp/9354088449/?tag=wranglerorg-20) and had it shipped to my in-laws who live in New Delhi. But for Mahindra fans it's worth the trouble to find a copy.

Reactions: PNW_LJ and psrivats
There are lots of those still in use in India, both the short wheelbase version that is in the article posted above and the longer wheelbase "Commander" version. Two weeks ago I was in India and one of the places I visited was the Venkataswara temple in Tirupati (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venkateswara_Temple,_Tirumala). The temple is situated high on a mountain as are many temples, historic forts and palaces in India and large numbers of Mahindra jeeps offer taxi services to bring pilgrims and tourists up to the site from the valley below. In most places, these are mostly open jeeps, and many of them are derivations of the CJ-3b.

The Commanders at Venkataswara were much nicer than the typical well-used jeep taxis I've seen in Rajasthan and other places - all of them were almost new looking. All of them have soft tops and pretty much all of them have luggage racks on top of the soft top (anchored through the fabric to the roll bars). I saw many of these racks in use, like this one:

View attachment 475805

Notice how clean it is and the gloss finish of the paint. I didn't get a chance to photograph many others, we had to leave our phones in our car because they're not allowed in the temple but all of the Jeeps I saw there were as nice as this one.

A more typical short wheelbase Jeep in tourist service, this one I photographed at the Mehrangarh Fort in Jodhpur, Rajasthan:

View attachment 475803

There's a bit of history in the article above but for those interested in more detail on the history of Mahindra, this "coffee table book" is a great source of information on Mahindras - it's over 300 pages of Mahindra history and a lot of information on the various models, military use of Mahindra Jeeps, etc.

View attachment 475804

It might be a little hard to get in the U.S. though - I got my copy on Amazon India (
https://www.amazon.in/dp/9354088449/?tag=wranglerorg-20) and had it shipped to my in-laws who live in New Delhi. But for Mahindra fans it's worth the trouble to find a copy.

I haven't been to Tirumala in like 10 years. Hope it wasn't too crowded for your trip. My parents go every other year and each time the process seems a little different.

But I've seen those jeeps that you posted many many times, and been on them when I was younger and lived in India. Thanks for sharing those photos, I got me thinking about my younger days. Very fondly.

Reactions: bbaldwin237
Sooooo ... some very exciting thing will be happening to the CJ-3B in the future!

There is enough information in this photo to guess what is coming. A bag of freshly roasted pdx coffee to anyone that can guess the direction for my CJ-3B with the exclusion of @starkey480 (since he already knows).

1701047971589.png

Reactions: zebra12
Sooooo ... some very exciting thing will be happening to the CJ-3B in the future!

There is enough information in this photo to guess what is coming. A bag of freshly roasted pdx coffee to anyone that can guess the direction for my CJ-3B with the exclusion of @starkey480 (since he already knows).

View attachment 477272

LS swap

• Haha
Reactions: Rickyd and psrivats
Is that a Roxor?

Ding ding ding! You are correct. Message me your name and address and I'll send a bag of fresh coffee beans from PDX!

I am buying an entire drive train (frame, axles, dash, engine, tcase, trans) from a Roxor and the gentleman helping me with the swap will do what's needed to put the CJ-3B body on it. The frame needs to be shortened a little bit but most things are where they generally should be. Credit goes to my builder for coming up with this plan, all I did was to find the donor.

It makes me very happy because I grew up seeing Mahindra jeeps all around me and what better way is there to restomod this old CJ and give it new life.

Last edited:
That should work well for how you said you plan to use it. We have half a dozen or so where I work and they have been relatively trouble free. The original stuff is cool, but getting it to that kinda reliability is a lot of work.

Reactions: psrivats
That should work well for how you said you plan to use it. We have half a dozen or so where I work and they have been relatively trouble free. The original stuff is cool, but getting it to that kinda reliability is a lot of work.

You hit it on the head. Not just reliability, but also safety. I want to have decent steering and brakes and it's not trivial to get either on the older drivetrain without making a lot of compromises. The cool thing about the Roxor is how similar it is to an old CJ underneath but at the same time being it's own thing. I am excited to see the transformation unfold.

We are spoiled in the PNW.

Congrats on the flat fender and the new project. Looking forward to follow along. I've never been the biggest fan of the high-hoods but hearing your history and story behind it seems like the perfect option. This will make for a really cool cruiser.

What part of Oregon are you in? I'm roughly 2 hours north of Astoria and about 2.5 from Portland.

Congrats on the flat fender and the new project. Looking forward to follow along. I've never been the biggest fan of the high-hoods but hearing your history and story behind it seems like the perfect option. This will make for a really cool cruiser.

What part of Oregon are you in? I'm roughly 2 hours north of Astoria and about 2.5 from Portland.

Thanks. I think it'll make for the perfect vehicle to go get coffee or ice cream in the summer time and it'll stand out in the sea of sameness we see on the roads today.

I'm in the 'burbs West of PDX (Beaverton area). Astoria is pretty.

Can't wait to see the progress!

Any commercially available coffee from PDX you recommend? I had a bag of stumptown a couple weeks ago, wasn't anything to write home about.

Reactions: bbaldwin237
Any commercially available coffee from PDX you recommend? I had a bag of stumptown a couple weeks ago, wasn't anything to write home about.
I wouldn't say "commercially available" but this is some friends of mine that own a store and coffee shop and have begun roasting their own coffee in a small cabin on their property. They're great people!

https://embergoods.com/shop/coffee/

Last edited:
Very cool project, Sri. Looking forward to following along.

I have a bunch of family in your general area.