I bought a new Jeep

I wanted to get pictures of all 3 side by side but the CJ didn’t want to cooperate, so this is the best I could do. I didn’t realize how small the CJ was till went back and forth between it and the TJ. The JKU is much bigger still, although the lift makes it less obvious in the pics.
FE4057E7-1DEA-466B-9FE9-2099BDF44795.jpeg

image.jpg

Reactions: psrivats
I wanted to get pictures of all 3 side by side but the CJ didn’t want to cooperate, so this is the best I could do. I didn’t realize how small the CJ was till went back and forth between it and the TJ. The JKU is much bigger still, although the lift makes it less obvious in the pics.
View attachment 346050

View attachment 346053

Thanks for sharing those photos. What year CJ was yours, and what was your biggest dislike?

I am realistic wrt expectations for this CJ-3B .. not expecting it to ride like my TJ in any way or form.

Thanks for sharing those photos. What year CJ was yours, and what was your biggest dislike?

I am realistic wrt expectations for this CJ-3B .. not expecting it to ride like my TJ in any way or form.

It was a 79, but the biggest thing was the rust. Even stuff that looked fine was rusted on the side you couldn't see. Especially under the roll bar mounts. And the 40 yr old bolts that would snap off if you so much as mentioned them on a forum-- whoops, there goes another one! And as fun as computers are, I think I'd still prefer it over another carb'd vehicle. And yeah, the little bit I drove it, it drove like crap. Good riddance. A guy down the street from me as a beautifully restored CJ5. It sounds great & looks great....I imagine it drives great too, but he dropped like 30 on it. If I need to spend 30 to have something I like then maybe jeeps aren't for me. Luckily TJ's exist.

It's great to see you got one. I saw one in Palo Alto a million years ago, retired Air Force rig. Told the guy I liked his CJ-3B and he just about shit a brick, not many people know the tall hood flat fenders by name. It'll be interesting to see how you use it. Some people were born for the older rigs and others like how they look. Anyway the pictures look great. I didn't read the whole thread but didn't you have an XJ as well?

It was a 79, but the biggest thing was the rust. Even stuff that looked fine was rusted on the side you couldn't see. Especially under the roll bar mounts. And the 40 yr old bolts that would snap off if you so much as mentioned them on a forum-- whoops, there goes another one! And as fun as computers are, I think I'd still prefer it over another carb'd vehicle. And yeah, the little bit I drove it, it drove like crap. Good riddance. A guy down the street from me as a beautifully restored CJ5. It sounds great & looks great....I imagine it drives great too, but he dropped like 30 on it. If I need to spend 30 to have something I like then maybe jeeps aren't for me. Luckily TJ's exist.

That would take away all the joy. I think starting with a minimally rusted example .. even if more expensive upfront .. is better for long term - unless you have the skill and patience to deal with rust like @Mike_H.

These are the photos that the seller sent in response to my queries about frame condition/rust. I think it was pretty good for a 60 year old vehicle. Was told it lived mostly in AZ and I think I believe it. For me the goal is to learn how to maintain a vehicle like this and learn the mechanical bits and pieces that will carry over to my TJ as well.

(Click for larger size).

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg 05.jpg 06.jpg

07.jpg 08.jpg 09.jpg

10.jpg 11.jpg

Reactions: bbaldwin237
It's great to see you got one. I saw one in Palo Alto a million years ago, retired Air Force rig. Told the guy I liked his CJ-3B and he just about shit a brick, not many people know the tall hood flat fenders by name. It'll be interesting to see how you use it. Some people were born for the older rigs and others like how they look. Anyway the pictures look great. I didn't read the whole thread but didn't you have an XJ as well?

Usage is simple - it is vehicle for just driving around town and getting coffee and such. No trail use or highway use.

I do have an XJ (1996 with ~225k miles). It is clean and runs well for it's age, but small issues keep happening every other month and I will likely replace it with something else in 2-3 years (or sooner if the engine or trans develop any major issues) since I need a decent 4 people + cargo carrier. I don't mind doing regular maintenance on it but not sure of it's worth the time/money rebuilding the engine/trans on that thing.

Reactions: zebra12 and pagrey
That would take away all the joy. I think starting with a minimally rusted example .. even if more expensive upfront .. is better for long term - unless you have the skill and patience to deal with rust like @Mike_H.

These are the photos that the seller sent in response to my queries about frame condition/rust. I think it was pretty good for a 60 year old vehicle. Was told it lived mostly in AZ and I think I believe it. For me the goal is to learn how to maintain a vehicle like this and learn the mechanical bits and pieces that will carry over to my TJ as well.

(Click for larger size).

View attachment 346081

View attachment 346082

View attachment 346083

View attachment 346084

View attachment 346085 View attachment 346086

View attachment 346087 View attachment 346088 View attachment 346089

View attachment 346090 View attachment 346091

That is very clean. Some minor surface rust to clean up and treat, but that will be easy for you.

Reactions: psrivats
I found a very nice vintage set of the "pacific wonderland" Oregon plates for the CJ-3B from 1963. This style of plate was originally issued only between 1959 and 1964. It was issues in honor of Oregon's 100th birthday - colors are those of the State flag.

About 10-12 years ago, Oregon started re-issuing this design for newer vehicles (150th anniversary celebration) and I have it in my mind to renew to this style for my TJ as well when I renew my registration - it is my favourite design of all the current ones Oregon issues. They were going to issue only 40,000 limited plates but the demand large enough for them to keep it as an option. It has an "Oregon 150" logo with separate boxes for month/year stickers. You can easily tell the old plates from new .. I don't see very many of them on the road though, but on older vehicles it generally looks nice.

1661274170308.png

Oregon allows you to buy and use older plates on older cars - the only caveat is that you have to apply for a vintage plate registration with the State (has mileage limits) and they will check to see if it is currently being used by another car. Once approved, you do not have to pay a repeat registration fee like a modern car. I think it is going to work out great for what I intend to do with this jeep.

Last edited: