Improve My Perspective on Automatic Transmissions

Need to remember though that not all of us are on the same page as far as how technical the trails we run are. I can definitely see the need for a auto for some people. But for me personally I dont ever see me doing trails that I cant handle with at most a thumb throttle and a little patience. To me I enjoy the manual to much to start doing trails that the only way out is with a auto. What @gaabbee is saying is good to.

Reactions: DrDmoney and Zorba
I have. It taught me limits. It also pushed me to learn why and how I can improve. I’ve seen your posts and I know you do the same. It’s fine if you are tired of driving a manual off-road but don’t say that it’s the transmissions fault.

Many people have lost the art and knowledge of driving a manual and end up blaming the transmission instead of themselves. My clutch only lasted 10k miles, I can’t get into reverse, I just drove through a mud puddle and now my clutch doesn’t work, I can’t get up this hill without stalling. We all hear it. 9 times out of 10 it’s the driver. Yes there will be a point that your jeep will need more modifications to over come that hinderance but the same goes for every transmission.

I haven't been anywhere where the manual has stopped me from going somewhere. But I have done enough to recognize where an auto would change how I take on an obstacle. And I can easily imagine where the auto can do things and go places a manual can't.

. Yes there will be a point that your jeep will need more modifications to over come that hinderance but the same goes for every transmission.
What mods other than a basic cooler do any of my autos need to spend 100's of trail miles in Johnson Valley?

I haven't been anywhere where the manual has stopped me from going somewhere. But I have done enough to recognize where an auto would change how I take on an obstacle. And I can easily imagine where the auto can do things and go places a manual can't.
Can you elaborate on those situations. I have a really hard time finding any content on this subject that is not spewed out by someone trying to sell something. I’ve read what jerry wrote above but I want to know what things and places you are specifically talking about.

I have. It taught me limits. It also pushed me to learn why and how I can improve. I’ve seen your posts and I know you do the same. It’s fine if you are tired of driving a manual off-road but don’t say that it’s the transmissions fault.

Many people have lost the art and knowledge of driving a manual and end up blaming the transmission instead of themselves. My clutch only lasted 10k miles, I can’t get into reverse, I just drove through a mud puddle and now my clutch doesn’t work, I can’t get up this hill without stalling. We all hear it. 9 times out of 10 it’s the driver. Yes there will be a point that your jeep will need more modifications to over come that hinderance but the same goes for every transmission.
Don’t get me wrong I love driving a manual, my first car when I was 16 was a manual, I’ve honestly driven more manuals then autos. I consider myself pretty good at it. An auto is a lot better. You sorta prove the point with some of the issues with it. Yes, skill can over come them, but a auto suffers none of those issues. Where is the manual better than a auto? The only pro I see is the longevity of it.

Minimum 5-1 gearing, 6-1 is better. That's about 3500 all in.
Ok wasn’t sure if that was what you were getting at and yes I agree you need as deep gearing as you can get.

My basic argument which I agree with what you said above it will take more money and struggle more but still get through. To me I’m ok with that.

The manual guys you off-road with. Do they use their clutch or starter for starting and stopping while in sticky situations off road?

A manual and auto built the same can go all the same places. The only difference is that in the manual you’re going to be challenging yourself maybe three times as much on the same obstacle.
It's not just challenging yourself. Wheel hard places with a manual transmission and there's a high probability the smell of burnt clutch will be in the air. To be fair, you can wheel and not burn the clutch, but it takes a skilled driver.

Reactions: Zorba
Also, using two peddles with an auto, will keep you from abruptly stopping as you go from the throttle to break..you often do it in such a rush, it seems a little abrupt...but using the throttle and break, a very smooth climb and slow are seemless. You could use extra throttle and use the break to control speed.. takes practice... Anyway my take on auto crawling about..

Also, using two peddles with an auto, will keep you from abruptly stopping as you go from the throttle to break..you often do it in such a rush, it seems a little abrupt...but using the throttle and break, a very smooth climb and slow are seemless. You could use extra throttle and use the break to control speed.. takes practice... Anyway my take on auto crawling about..
Brake

It's not just challenging yourself. Wheel hard places with a manual transmission and there's a high probability the smell of burnt clutch will be in the air. To be fair, you can wheel and not burn the clutch, but it takes a skilled driver.
You should be using your starter, not the clutch.

The long wheelbase toyotas around here (first gen T4R's for example) can do very well with a dual case setup. I've been bested by them a few times unfortunately and for a lot less $$! Manual jeeps dont seem to do as well for whatever reason maybe just ratio is the difference.

Yes, very true. I suspect if I were to keep wheeling on my manual I would be needing a clutch pretty soon.

Ok wasn’t sure if that was what you were getting at and yes I agree you need as deep gearing as you can get.

My basic argument which I agree with what you said above it will take more money and struggle more but still get through. To me I’m ok with that.

The manual guys you off-road with. Do they use their clutch or starter for starting and stopping while in sticky situations off road?
Where we wheel is way beyond being able to use the starter. That's mid level amateur stuff.

The long wheelbase toyotas around here (first gen T4R's for example) can do very well with a dual case setup. I've been bested by them a few times unfortunately and for a lot less $$! Manual jeeps dont seem to do as well for whatever reason maybe just ratio is the difference.
It was only the wheelbase that made the difference.