WyattCrafty1

Hey, guys, my input shaft isn't going into the pilot bearing on my '98. 4.0, 5-speed, clutch is lined up it's just that the input shaft will not line up to the bearing. I used the clutch alignment tool, splines are on the transmission shaft. Pictured below is how much I have left to go before it's seated.

20240122_183251.jpg

Are you using a transmission jack? Try letting most of the pressure off the jack then get under and twist back and forth, (you may have to play around with the jack in small increments) I've also removed the jack and got under the transmission with my head toward the engine and used my knees to lift while rocking the transmission back and forth and toward the flywheel at the same time, or even grab the rear of the transmission and lift up and down while pushing. (I take it you are not on a lift). Whatever you do make sure you get it fully seated and do not try and draw it up with bell housing bolts, and make sure the Jeep is solid on your stands before manhandling the transmission. Put some extra crap under there so if it falls it can't fall all the way.

Last edited:
Are you using a transmission jack? Try letting most of the pressure off the jack then get under and twist back and forth, (you may have to play around with the jack in small increments) I've also removed the jack and got under the transmission with my head toward the engine and used my knees to lift while rocking the transmission back and forth and toward the flywheel at the same time, or even grab the rear of the transmission and lift up and down while pushing. (I take it you are not on a lift). Whatever you do make sure you get it fully seated and do not try and draw it up with bell housing bolts, and make sure the Jeep is solid on your stands before manhandling the transmission. Put some extra crap under there so if it falls it can't fall all the way.

It's just on the wheels right now, stable as can be. The engine is on a hoist, and what do you mean by rocking back and forth? I'm using a floor jack on the front end of the transmission right now, havent dropped the plate as there has been no need to so far. I've been dropping and raising the engine by tiny increments, and there has been no progress so far. Do you think just like bench pressing the front end of the transmission at a specific angle might work? I'll be able to make tiny angle adjustments and whatnot, I just have to get the jack out first and I don't want it to slip the clutch out of alignment.

The tiniest barely perceptible angle difference can be the difference between it sliding in or not. Don't force it or try to pull it the last little bit in by its mounting bolts.

That's fun, I haven't even taken the bolts out of the cardboard I have them in right now, because I don't want to risk damaging the pilot bearing at all

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I've always had an easier time stabbing the pilot by bench pressing the transmission with my hands and knees than with a transmission jack, but I'm not as young as I once was.

I've also run ratchet straps around the frame to cradle the transmission, which gave me a little more freedom to move it around without having to do all the lifting.

Takes a lot of wiggling and jiggling. Nothing more constructive to say...but here's the seventh time I reinstall my transmission (long, short story.)

-Mac

Are you replacing the transmission during this project; are now trying to install the new transmission ?
I believe the transmissions during certain years had different length shafts and you may be trying to install the wrong variety of transmission for your year TJ.

Been there lol

Yeah, I tried wiggling the thing but got no progress on it. Gonna try again tomorrow

It may need to be raised or lowered slightly if it's not going. It's a process for sure. Or you get it in 6 seconds......only to realize you forgot to do something and have to take it right back out lol.

Reactions: macleanflood
When I swapped my trans, I used a cheapo Harbor Freight transmission jack.
I'll never buy another, because the adjustment screws bind up once you put any significant weight on them.

I actually found it easier to take it off the transmission jack and man-handle it in.
As long as you take the Transfer Case off, it's not terribly heavy.

As everyone else said, theres a very low margin for wrong angles.
It pretty much has to be perfect before it'll slide in.

I've always had an easier time stabbing the pilot by bench pressing the transmission with my hands and knees than with a transmission jack, but I'm not as young as I once was.

I've also run ratchet straps around the frame to cradle the transmission, which gave me a little more freedom to move it around without having to do all the lifting.

That's what I tried, being under it and manually adjusting the angle by just benching it. Hasn't quite worked for me, I'll try again later.

Reactions: macleanflood
Sounds like the engine is hanging free on a hoist per post #4? , This could make it a bit more difficult.

Were you doing a clutch replacement ? If so did you slide the new disc on your input shaft before installation, is the clutch disc facing the correct direction, same pilot bearing? I would pull the trans back down and check the clutch alignment .

Were you doing a clutch replacement ? If so did you slide the new disc on your input shaft before installation, is the clutch disc facing the correct direction, same pilot bearing? I would pull the trans back down and check the clutch alignment .

It's all done right, clutch is the right way, pilot bearing went onto the input shaft before it was on the engine, clutch is on the driveshaft and aligned with the pilot bearing via the plastic tool that came with it. I don't know why it's doing this, and it's giving me a massive headache.

I won't install a transmission to an engine without guide bolts installed.

I've used all thread on a T-19 where there was tons of room. Keeps the T/O bearing from getting knocked out of the fork. But the little 3550 was a piece of cake even for this old man.