Interior Maintenance Restoration and Repair

Forgot to ask, how hard are the complete dash panel(s) to remove? Is it possible to paint in place? Probably not a good idea.

Awesome thread. Thanks very much for posting.

I've got a 97 moss green Sahara that I'm transforming to a black theme. Didn't want to spend the $$ for a proper exterior paint job so I tested out and ended up using a roll on bed liner material. Turned out pretty well for the first sections I've done.

I want to change from the Sahara khaki interior to a black and gray theme. What are your recommendations on colors for that? I don't want it to be too overwhelming black so I was thinking maybe a Landau and Agate combination? That seems to be the factory combination on newer vehicles?

View attachment 147070

View attachment 147071
Nice! I haven't looked up the color codes on the 2007 and up, but I don't think you could go wrong with either combination. It'll come down to personal preference, I believe. If you want an overall darker interior color, the Dark Slate and Landau would check that box. If it were me and I went that route, I would use the Dark Slate for the primary color, and the Landau for the bezels. For a little lighter primary color, I would go with the Agate for the primary color. Did you see the Dark Slate and Agate pictures that JWilson and TJRick posted? They're on page 3.

Forgot to ask, how hard are the complete dash panel(s) to remove? Is it possible to paint in place? Probably not a good idea.
Not difficult at all to remove all of them, except for one. The piece that covers the width of the dash, I don't think I would want to attempt. Not for just painting anyway. The way this SEM paint sprays, it makes it pretty easy to spray parts without taking them out. I've done it with door panels recently. The aerosol cans don't put out a real heavy coat, so the over-spray is very very minimal.

If it were me, I would remove all but that one base piece, then pick up a roll of paper and painter's tape from Lowe's or Home Depot, then mask off the windshield and frame, and then drape a piece of paper from the bottom side of the dash.

I missed the Dark Slate post, thanks for pointing that out. I do a sample of the Landau and Dark Slate, may be the better combo i think. Also thanks for the advice on the dash.

Reactions: bedhed
Just ordered the Landau Black and Dark Slate and plastic adhesion promoter. My center console has was previously painted (no idea with what) and that paint is slightly chipped on the armrest area but appears to have held up pretty good in the lower section. Any suggestions on how I should prep that? I'm assuming the adhesion promoter won't work on that since it's already painted?

Screenshot_20200320-155637_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200320-155616_Gallery.jpg

Just ordered the Landau Black and Dark Slate and plastic adhesion promoter. My center console has was previously painted (no idea with what) and that paint is slightly chipped on the armrest area but appears to have held up pretty good in the lower section. Any suggestions on how I should prep that? I'm assuming the adhesion promoter won't work on that since it's already painted?

View attachment 147390

View attachment 147391
I think I would probably just leave it there and take my chances with it, instead of trying to remove it. If it doesn't flake off when you pick at those bare edges, I would do a little more in-depth scuffing to those bare edges with the scotch brite pad, just to try and taper them off the best I could. After that, I would carry on with the adhesion promoter just as I would on an unpainted surface. It's not necessary for the painted areas, but it will be for the places where the paint has flaked away. The paint that remains on there is doing the hard job of bonding to the plastic, and acting as your primer. Now all you need to do is change the color of it. But, on pieces with areas that have numerous, scattered areas with no paint covering the plastic, you might as well give the whole piece a coat of adhesion promoter.

One thing to remember when you're using the scotch brite pad (and most especially when there's already a coat of paint, the more you scuff things up, the more original texture you will lose.

@mrblaine I just saw the picture you shared of your painted trim bezel. Do you happen to have any more pictures you can send over?

Also, if there's any helpful info that you know of that can be added, it would be much appreciated.

@mrblaine I just saw the picture you shared of your painted trim bezel. Do you happen to have any more pictures you can send over?

Also, if there's any helpful info that you know of that can be added, it would be much appreciated.
FYI those pics of the dash were from the build thread by @ObiWanWebWheelr and @mrblaine titled My LJ Thread - A MrBlaine Spec'ed LJ Build for Daily Driving and Weekend Adventure

Last edited:
FYI those pics of the dash were from the build thread by @ObiWanWebWheelr and @mrblaine titled My LJ Thread - A MrBlaine Spec'ed LJ Build for Daily Driving and Weekend Adventure
Man, that's a fine looking jeep! Flipping through toward the end of the thread had me (once again) disliking the Florida flat lands. Seeing all of the scenery pass through the monthly contest is bad enough. Seeing his pictures were like poking me with a stick.:LOL:

Reactions: Nickgsjeep
Man, that's a fine looking jeep! Flipping through toward the end of the thread had me (once again) disliking the Florida flat lands. Seeing all of the scenery pass through the monthly contest is bad enough. Seeing his pictures were like poking me with a stick.:LOL:
That Jeep is perfection

I got some helpful info yesterday. I got back in touch with them at SEM Products. I was initially referred to the 15833, but I showed the results that I had with the 15833, so he went back in to research it. He came back and told me that the 15833 was in fact a lighter shade that was used in 2008, and then told me that our color needs to be mixed. The color for that is shown in the "Trim Codes Formulas" on their resource page that I sent a link to.

Here's the one showing our khaki (PN: 5545):
View attachment 142340

Another helpful bit of info that I found out yesterday was another source for getting this done. The company is "Vinyl Pro" in Atlanta, GA. I went to their website and found the prices to be quite a bit less than what I had been paying (roughly $23.00/can), for SEM Color Coat. They will mix the color you and put it in an aerosol can for you.

I just got off the phone from ordering a can of the 5545, so I will update with the results when it gets here.

I was at Vinyl Pro in Atlanta today picking up some adhesion promoter. They also mixed up a can of my interior color from the factory code. Great people.. and super friendly.

I was at Vinyl Pro in Atlanta today picking up some adhesion promoter. They also mixed up a can of my interior color from the factory code. Great people.. and super friendly.
Yes they are. I say "they", but I only spoke with Annette. She was super friendly, for sure.

So, what color did you get mixed up? What project are you working on?

Reactions: Ericict
Yes they are. I say "they", but I only spoke with Annette. She was super friendly, for sure.

So, what color did you get mixed up? What project are you working on?

I had them mix me an aerosol can of Color Coat SEM #5020 which is the Camel Tan for my 2000 interior. I bought a Jeep in the fall to part out because it had the color doors I needed hat looked in relatively good shape. Doors weren't as good as I though so I've had to change out the window regulators and the door handles. The interior panels were saddle so I'm recoloring to match my Jeep. Gonna finally tackle the door panels this weekend. I have one can of the color but figure I should get one more just to be safe. I'm going by Vinyl Pro tomorrow to pick it up. They're great. They've got everything in house to mix up custom and spec colors in the rattle cans.

I think I know who Annette is.. I usually speak with Robin. Those folks are so nice there. they sell anything one would need to take care of the interior and exterior of your car.

They sell anything one would need to take care of the interior and exterior of your car.

I saw that. After I was referred to them, and went onto their site, I saw that they even had mold-making material for replicating textures/grain. I'm not so sure I wouldn't just come up with a "DIY" way to do that for the areas that I will eventually want it for, but simply seeing that they sold it kind of said a lot to me.

For the sake of getting info for the thread, did you happen to try their off-the-shelf Camel (#15173)? If so, how far off was it from matching?

I saw that. After I was referred to them, and went onto their site, I saw that they even had mold-making material for replicating textures/grain. I'm not so sure I wouldn't just come up with a "DIY" way to do that for the areas that I will eventually want it for, but simply seeing that they sold it kind of said a lot to me.

For the sake of getting info for the thread, did you happen to try their off-the-shelf Camel (#15173)? If so, how far off was it from matching?
SEM 15173 is the match to Chrysler saddle from the 97-98 tan interior jeeps. It’s basically a dead ringer too. Matches bestop spice color super close as well. Here’s a link to a thread with some good pics of that color

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/sahara-interior-color-code.6561/page-3

Reactions: bedhed and Dan T.

I have an unused can of 15173 that I purchased before realizing that all Camel colors aren’t the same. My OCD kicked in so I went with factory spec. I have not tested for comparison but now see the post from @Nickgsjeep that 15173 is a match for Saddle. I have a 1998 that I need to part out that is Saddle so I guess I'll use up the can refinishing the center console or dash before selling it.

You guys are great informational resource... thanks

Their website is good but they have some really great products in the small retail area they have. I probably will go to them exclusively for any interior or exterior needs.

SEM 15173 is the match to Chrysler saddle from the 97-98 tan interior jeeps. It’s basically a dead ringer too. Matches bestop spice color super close as well. Here’s a link to a thread with some good pics of that color

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/sahara-interior-color-code.6561/page-3
Ah! Thanks for that link. There's some good stuff in that one.
I had to breeze through it for now, but I'm going to go back in and round up some info.

I probably will go to them exclusively for any interior or exterior needs.
You and me both.

Reactions: Dan T.
I went through CastorTroy's thread again. Seeing the color code that was mentioned, that threw me off a bit. Then I realized that I had never listed the codes for two-tone interiors, so I updated the first page with that info. I wasn't 100% sure which combinations weren't used in TJs, so I just attached all Chrysler color codes and their SEM (custom mix) product number.

After reading through the thread, I was left a little confused. I suppose it didn't help that the OP never did send any pictures with the custom mixed color that was recommended. But, the 15173 that @csierra used looked spot-on to me. Looked great, actually. Now I'm wondering why it wasn't recommended to the OP, CastorTroy.

Edit: Nevermind. The colors and custom mix numbers for the 1998 are different from the 2002. Changed from Saddle to Camel.

Reactions: MountaineerTom