Is a Dropped Pitman Needed for 2" Lift?

FadeToGray

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'm installing a 2" OME lift , and I was told that I'll need a dropped pitman arm.

I thought I would only need that for a 4" plus lift, which seems to be confirmed by poking around the forum here.

But figured I would just confirm, would a new pitman be needed for a 2" lift on a 2005 LJ?

Thanks!

Definitely do not put a dropped pitman unless you have a dropped track bar. And don't drop the track bar.

alignment01.jpg

I have a 4.5" lift, came with it when purchased, had stock steering linkage and a drop pitman arm. lots of bump steer! First thing I changed: Got the stock pitman arm and installed the "Currie Currectlync" steering linkage. Made a world of difference.

Here's the deal . Drop the arm means drop the track bar , which means a dropped track bar mount .

What does a a track bar do ? It pushes or pulls against that mount every time you turn the wheel .

That mount sits perpendicular to the frame and under it .

It will move , pop , and squeak .

Trust me , I have one and had to fix it .

Save the hassle , and if you need a longer track bar , get a quality one . Cheap ones have junk bushings . Won't last a year.

When we have the annual forum convention again this year , owners with dropped pitman arm will have to sit in the upper seats , so they don't "bump steer over " everyone else's drinks.

I'm wondering who it is that said you needed a drop pitman arm...I'd suggest staying very far away from them if a shop.

The idea that a TJ needs a dropped pitman arm comes from the leaf spring days where that would be an accurate statement as part of a suspension lift. It is very easy for that decades old requirement to turn into "Jeeps need a dropped pitman arm" if no thought is given as to why one would be needed in the first place. Unfortunately, many of the common brands of TJ lift kits haven't put much thought into there kits either, sometimes 20 years into the product line.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I'm installing a 2" OME lift , and I was told that I'll need a dropped pitman arm.
Stop listening to whoever told you that, they don't know what they're talking about where a TJ is concerned. Pay attention to the above comments, they're right on.

Last edited:
Thanks all for confirming its not needed.

The advice and help is very much appreciated as I continue to learn about my LJ's suspension!

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
The idea that a TJ needs a dropped pitman arm comes from the leaf spring days where that would be an accurate statement as part of a suspension lift. It is very easy for that decades old requirement to turn into "Jeeps need a dropped pitman arm" if no thought is given as to why one would be needed in the first place. Unfortunately, many of the common brands of TJ lift kits haven't put much thought into there kits either, sometimes 20 years into the product line.

So a YJ will or will not need a dropped pit arm for a 4inch lift? Need clarification.

So a YJ will or will not need a dropped pit arm for a 4inch lift? Need clarification.

Completely different suspension system with different considerations.

But to complicate, don't YJs have track bars from the factory for some reason?

3'' lift. I have a dropped pitman arm, in my case do I just need to replace it with the stock pitman arm? I don't think I have a dropped track bar mount. I don't experience bump steer either.

9xBp3EMWTnmwRV65cYeN3A.jpg

hwp8We5gQ0CM+zSsp1EdTw.jpg

Reactions: jjvw