Is Rock Hard 4x4 rear tire carrier / bumper still the overall recommendation?

connor grimes

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hey everyone,

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new rear tire carrier /bumper to replace my redrock one. Reasons for replacing are it rattles all the time, I don't trust the welds, pivot from breaking, and I want to tow a small trailer and I also don't trust the integrated hitch receiver. I've seen over the years that people love the Rock Hard 4X4 tire carrier as it seems to not rattle, be very strong, and has a proper hitch for towing (within reason). It also costs $1700+ to get delivered ($300 freight shipping). Are there any other brands out there people recommend? I'll be carrying a 35" spare and towing a 1000lb trailer. What are y'all running these days? thanks

Hey everyone,

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new rear tire carrier /bumper to replace my redrock one. Reasons for replacing are it rattles all the time, I don't trust the welds, pivot from breaking, and I want to tow a small trailer and I also don't trust the integrated hitch receiver. I've seen over the years that people love the Rock Hard 4X4 tire carrier as it seems to not rattle, be very strong, and has a proper hitch for towing (within reason). It also costs $1700+ to get delivered ($300 freight shipping). Are there any other brands out there people recommend? I'll be carrying a 35" spare and towing a 1000lb trailer. What are y'all running these days? thanks

That one is less offensive, as far as tire carrier bumpers go. But I still despise them, especially at that price 😳

Why not go with a tailgate mounted spare and new rear bumper of your choice?

interesting, so the moryde is the way to go? does anyone have issues getting it aligned properly?
X2 I'd go for either a Morryde or Exogate spare tire carrier with the optional brace that ties it to the rear rollbar mounting base. No problems getting it aligned properly, both are popular solutions. No I don't run one so I have no dog in this fight. I run an OF-Fab spare tire carrier but the particular model from OR-Fab I run that I would normally recommend is no longer available.

What’s in and under the bed if the spare is hanging off the back?

Oversize tires often don't fit under the bed. The JT for example, will only fit a 37" tire max in the factory spare location.

Another thing many forget is extra weight on the back of a pickup (ex. heavy rear bumper), can actually be a good thing.

From there you choose the lesser of two evils, a tire carrier bumper, or taking up bed space. Or I guess running no spare at all.

Reactions: Username
MORryde here. After exhaustive research, it appeared to be the most cost-effective, best solution to carrying a full-size spare.